IT’S OFFICIAL: Next Democrat Debate to Feature TEN CANDIDATES, One Night Only

Originally published at: IT’S OFFICIAL: Next Democrat Debate to Feature TEN CANDIDATES, One Night Only | Sean Hannity

The DNC and ABC News confirmed Thursday the upcoming slate of candidates to appear at the next Democratic presidential debate in Houston; saying just ten hopefuls will share the stage in September.

“The Democratic National Committee made it official on Thursday – as media partner ABC News formally unveiled the list of White House hopefuls who’ve qualified for the upcoming third round of presidential primary debates,” reports Fox News.

“Unlike the two-night, 20-candidate showdown last month, just 10 candidates will face off on a single night in the upcoming debate in September. They are: former Vice President Joe Biden; Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey; South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg; former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro; Sens. Kamala Harris of Californiaand Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota; former Rep. Beto O’Rourke of Texas; Sens. Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts; and tech entrepreneur Andrew Yang,” adds Fox.

“I’m looking forward to getting to the place — assuming I’m still around — that it gets down to a smaller number of people so we can have more of a discussion instead of one-minute assertions,” Biden told journalists this week.

Not all candidates are thrilled with ABC News’ strict requirements.

“There’s a high likelihood that candidates will band together to make a clear statement to the DNC that these rules are unfair,” according to Dan Sena, a consultant who led the House Democratic campaign committee in 2018. “That could manifest itself into putting a ton of pressure on the DNC — talking to donors, influencers, and building a case against the process.”

Many candidates view being seen in the debates as essential to keeping their campaigns alive. Missing the opportunity for a campaign-changing soundbite, a bump in the polls, attracting more donors – it could be a death knell for their candidacy.

In recent months, DNC Chairman Tom Perez has been forced to defend the process, explaining the reasoning behind the rules

“We’ve said this all along, that in the fall we’re going to raise the threshold because that’s what we always do. You have to demonstrate that you’re making progress. And 2% is hardly a high bar in my judgment,” Perez said on CNN in June. “You can’t win the presidency in the modern era if you can’t build relationships with the grassroots.”

Read the full report at Fox News.