Isn't it great to have these positions of power! The easy way to enrich oneself and family!

For the link you posted.

“In his telling, Reps. Jerry Nadler, 75, and Carolyn Maloney, 76, are part of a crop of Democrats who rose to power in the 1990s only to fail on issues ranging from guns to climate change and abortion. The redistricting process that merged their congressional districts offers a chance for new leadership, Patel says.

“If we keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different result: That’s not just the definition of insanity," he said. "That’s also the definition of incumbency.”

I agree…

No one good luck getting term limits for the House and Senate thru the House and Senate…someone like me is going to have to be just as ready to term limit my Republican Senators and Representatives as I am the Democrats…

But I don’t see how any if us benefit from Biden’s 50 years on the taxpayer payroll, pelosi’s, Schumer’s, nadler’s…that list could go on and on. These people do a great job of enriching themselves while giving lip service to us.

It sure feels to me like there’s a sea change rising…the people of our country have just had it with the dumbassery coming out if DC imho. Maybe we really are at the “enough is enough” stage.

Ahem?

How does that change anything?

It’s like you took the least interesting aspect of the post and responded to it in the least interesting way. The study I cited makes no distinction between parties.

And I made the hypothetical terms clear—assuming the GOP wins over the next few years. If you find Democratic proposals that are less popular (in terms of public opinion), you can substitute those and the point is the same.

Do you have anything to add?

1 Like

If something would be a political win for a party, the other party has to deny that victory.

So the party not in power has to stonewall something with broad public support until they are back in power and THEY can get the win.

Unfortunately, of course, then their opponents, now out of power, would have to return the favor…

A Prisoner’s Dilemma.

It’s the same reason why Cannabis won’t be legalized federally any time soon

No. Me agreeing with you doesn’t improve my position. Politics is zero sum.

Yes…politics is zero sum.

Which is why something the public overwhelmingly wants won’t get approved in this current climate.

Because in today’s politics…one side must win while the other loses.

Not a Prisoner’s Dilemma.

OK yes…not entirely because as you said, bipartisanship is not more optimal for the political players than hyper-partisanship…but the outcome to the public is definitely sub-optimized. And the politicians are supposed to be the “stand-ins” for the public.

Can’t think of a way to express that in “game theory” terms with complete accuracy.

1 Like

WHY? Does he hold a political office in Congress where finance laws are made?

What does that have to do with anything?

I guess that’s why the left stole it for Biden. China owns him and it’s well know they do…

Just think, he could have four and a half years left on a six year term. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

In fairness, he would’ve never been President had the six year term limit been in place. :wink:

How does the meme go? Ah yes, “that’s diffe(R)ent”

I believe the OP was about insider trading at the Congressional level as the primary way members of Congress get so rich. They literally break laws they impose on the people. I’m not aware Kushner was ever in Congress making laws so why should he be next to investigate?

2 Likes

Not just that. It’s about how people in these positions of power live, or what true privilege looks like:

Big difference with a deal after leaving office with reelection a 50 50 chance at best 3 years later.

Trump has been thoroughly audited.

Let’s try Pelosi now.

2 Likes

The connection is a tenuous one.

It is the embedded swamp that is the problem.

McConnell would have been a better contrast with his shipping magnate related wife.

Oh please. Talk about one sided. Every daily death by COVID was placed on the bloodied hands of Trump. Now, the deaths continue but enh…not so much an issue.

2 Likes

Biden’s Covid effort gets a D+ from me.

But that is not what I was talking about.