Is this really a case that the SCOTUS needs to be involved in?

I think I agree. Schools have obligations and responsibilities.

I’ll defer to the lawyers, but it seems that this school may have a difficult time showing how it was obligated to punish a student for her off-campus speech.

Yes, that is the holding in Tinker.

The school does. The snake eats its own tail.

And delegated authority. Not rights.

2 Likes

And authority, too.

The question is how far outside the walls the authority goes - at least it the strict scrutiny sense.

2 Likes

Never been a school administrator have you? School administrators have an obligation to deal with issues that make their way into school no matter where or how it originates.

Define ‘into’.

1 Like

Anything can and likely will “make it’s way into school”.

Schools don’t have rights.

ANYTHING that gets the attention of administration no matter where or how it originates. I saw a number of different issues like it during my time in education.

So, one ■■■■■■ sideline mom and it’s punishment time?

No. It stops at the property line. If a tweet off campus causes a fight on campus, you punish them for fighting on campus, not the tweet.

1 Like

Good Lord, listen to yourself.

unless school officials reasonably forecast it will cause disruptions.

Suppression of rights in the name of order.

the school deemed the post disruptive to cheerleader morale

Are you kidding? No threat. No violence. “Cheerleader morale”.

How about addressing it before a fight starts. Also, there doesn’t necessarily have to be punishment. In most cases that I was aware of all the administration had to do was simply talk to parties involved and resolve it amicably. How the hell is that wrong?

Sure, if it happens on campus. Who did she threaten?

Government school in the bedroom.

No.

Personally I think it could have been resolved without punishing the girl.

It’s none of the school’s business.

Proactive policing is a disaster.

1 Like

Absolutely!

So as a teacher I am trying to begin my class and two girls in my class begin to argue about something posted on social media. It gets heated. Guess what I am supposed to do?