Is the NFL ready for this crap? I doubt it

Why would the players not be happy with the compromise?

yeah me neither

ā€œOh boy, this is gonna be greatā€
ā€“ Flounder

1 Like

That is false. NFL team revenue has increased every year since 2001. The only team to take a hit at the gate were the San Diego Chargers who moved into a small soccer stadium for two years.

You do not have a right to be provocative while weā€™re paying you.

We are not paying for any players. Player contracts are paid from the TV revenue. Tickets, concessions and parking fees go towards paying the organization overhead and insurance.

3 Likes

I thought we were still in the looting bad, peaceful protesting good phase even if people didnā€™t mean it.

1 Like

Kneeling good. Better than ever.

1 Like

The current TV contract started in 2014 and gets renegotiated in 2022. So every year is guaranteed money. The teams and players lose nothing even if less folks are watching.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if he started it, but I remember early 90ā€™s Reggie White leading a huge prayer group centerfield every game, and have seen it at every game since.

NFL viewership is going to be higher this year than any other year, regardless of players exercising their first amendment rights. Some may not like it, but itā€™s baked into the culture at this point.

1 Like

Cameras will focus in on it. Broadcast it coast to coast. Discuss it on every sports show. It will lead the network news. ā€œBreaking: Fifteen more players take a knee this weekā€¦ā€

I expect that. Nation is so sports-starved right now. If NBC aired a darts tournament on a Sunday afternoon it would lead the ratings.

It was right wing theory that the ratings were going down to due to the kneeling back in 2016 which is when your article is from. However people who didnā€™t have an ideology argument were also able to show that every presidential election year there was a dip in NFL ratings leading up to the election followed by a return to normal after the election. Presidential elections, debates, etc in the fall right before an electon suck up a lot of TV viewing and ratings take a hit across the board.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/10/03/Research-and-Ratings/Ratings.aspx

Ratings went back up after the election. This fall is an election year so there should be a dip with the only wild card that could throw things askew being Covid as empty stadiums could drive up TV ratings. As could a lack of other entertainment. Most new TV shows are going to be delayed and many other entertainment options wonā€™t be available. The NFL draft this amidst the Covid shutdown drew record ratings largely because people were bored and wanted something new sports related to watch.

I will argue all day that Kaepernick just wasnā€™t good enough to be on a team given the media circus his presence creates. Just like Tim Tebow wasnā€™t good enough. If there talent had been there theyā€™d be on a team - look no further than Kareem Hunt who was back on a team almost immediately after the video of him kicking a woman went viral. If either Kaepernick or Tebow had been an an upper tier QB they would have make a team despite the media circus. But as I said earlier while I disagree with the reasons Kaepernick kneels I will applaud his kneeling all day as a non violent means of protest as compared what others do with looting and arson.

Umā€¦players have been praying on the field for decadesā€¦and often it takes place on camera.

And no one makes a fuss over it.

See how that works?

1 Like

Well except for when Faux news creates fake news showing Zach Ertz disrespecting the flag by kneeling when what he was actually doing was praying with some other players.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/06/05/fox-news-shows-eagles-kneeling-in-a-story-about-canceled-white-house-trip-they-were-praying/

2 Likes

Do you have evidence of bolded ?

The CEC kept showing videos of ā€œempty NFL stadiumsā€ (which usually ended up being strategically time pictures i.e. before game time when everyone hadnā€™t shown up yet or at halftime when everyone was at concessions).

NFL was just as successful in the protest years as in prior years.

Trump tried to point to falling TV ratingsā€¦except TV viewership in general has been going down, and the NFLā€™s trend mirrored thatā€¦and was offset by increased streaming of games.

He tried to point to declining attendanceā€¦except almost all of the decline in attendance could be attributed to two teamsā€¦the LA Rams, whose attendance fell after the novelty of them returning to LA wore off, and the LA Chargers, who move from San Diego to a 23k soccer stadium in LA while waiting for their new stadium (that they will share with the Rams) to be builtā€¦and they didnā€™t bring their fan base with themā€¦the move from San Diego has been universally panned as idiocy.

Soā€¦despite Trump and the CECā€™s assertions otherwise, there is zero evidence the NFL was impacted economically by the protests.

Not to mention that the Chargers moved was way after the protests so that wouldnā€™t apply at all, I would think

They moved in 2017ā€¦the protests were still going strong then.

Oh right, i thought 2018. Actually they do have fansā€¦ just not Charger fans :wink:

The owners sign there contracts. I was referring to the owners. I hope this helps.