Is the Emoluments Clause "Phony"?

Asking for a friend.

This is fascinating. After his walk-back (yikes), here’s Trump literally calling the emoluments clause of the Constitution “phony.” (There’s video footage of it, as well.)
What say you? More fake news? Just crazy Democrats and journalists and Antifa types, yawping out there TDS?

7 Likes

There is no such thing as an emoluments clause in the United States Constitution. It is a fake concept driven by the Fake New Media.
.^^^^

7 Likes

Just Trump displaying his lack of knowledge of and utter disregard for the Constitution and his oath of office.

And more fodder for his supporters to gaslight the rest of us by insisting that what is said and what happens in plain sight is not actually there.

It would be boring if we weren’t watching the undermining of our Republic.

1 Like

Drain. The. Swamp!

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Oath, schmoath.

3 Likes

it was added to the constitution after the Doral announcement by the crooked Hillary.

6 Likes

I don’t have a link to any videos of the numerous speeches where he professes his deep, abiding love for our Constitution, and how we “need to get back to it”.

Not unlike his fondness for “Two Corinthians”. The best Corinthians.

1 Like

Who knew (besides 60% of the country) that Trump only wanted to drain the swamp so it would be easier to take for himself

1 Like

Article 1, Section 9, Clause 8

Fat donald does not look well.

" I have a great business"
“I have the best properties”
-fat donald
:flushed:

https://twitter.com/motherjones/status/1186359464602947584?s=21

The Emoluments Clause supported Hillary. Never wanted me as president. VERY UNFAIR.

5 Likes

Looks like we’ll have to wait for the talking points to be handed down before we hear the “explanation” from Trump supporters.

1 Like

it’s all just nit-picking.

Nobody has ever been prosecuted for violating the emoluments clause. If Obama wasn’t prosecuted after everything he did it would be hypocritical to go after Trump for his minor indiscretions.

4 Likes

It’s being replaced with…

I am an individual, a part of the hospitality industry. As one piece of the larger whole, I recognize that I have obligations to care for the well-being of our guests, community, and environment. I will always act with compassion and honor the finest traditions of my calling.

5 Likes

You need to remove taking care of the environment, compassion and honor, and then you might have something Trump could honestly swear to.

2 Likes

New Presidential Oath of Office: “I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the [phony] Constitution of the United States.”

3 Likes

Lol!

1 Like

Oh, and I’m stealing that, BTW.

1 Like

The emoluments clause is anti-capitalist.