Is mail in voting intended by Democrats to

Why would you have to wonder that?

Pretty much this. Nicely put.

Or…not wanting to die from coronavirus.

Or…the fact that the polling stations are going to be understaffed since it is primarily staffed by seniors and they aren’t volunteering because of coronavirus.

Voting should not be dangerous.

3 Likes

In Michigan you have to apply to vote by mail, ballots are not sent without an approved application.

Whitmer just sent applications to everyone, Republican and Democrat alike.

So I don’t get why Trump is upset with Michigan, we aren’t sending ballots that haven’t been requested and identity checked beforehand.

5 Likes

It is an issue where the devil is in the details.

I am comfortable with mail in being requested and postmarked. PA is doing this properly also.

The issue is prepaid postage and actual ballots being sent unsolicited. We do need to be careful.

Then comes the challenge to count them in a timely manner…

:man_shrugging:t3:

It’s called “an insurance policy”… in case 2016 recurs.

I think you do need to have the voter apply for the mail in ballot and have that application checked against the voting record, address and signature on file.

At that point, no one should be having an issue with mail in voting, which IS the same as absentee voting and will make the whole process safer in lieu of COVID.

Universal mail in voting, though, has been done for a long time and there are a lot of states that currently do it. It just so happens that these states are either solidly red or solidly blue. The reason the GOP is up in arms is that some states want universal ballots that are purple states, and the going logic is that if more people vote, the less likely it is the GOP candidate wins.

Which is sort of a bad argument. If the GOP relies on people NOT voting in order for their candidate to win, what does it say about the GOP? If the GOP had candidates that were solid and had broad appeal, more voters would be a good thing.

1 Like

Another thing to note, of the six major swing states, none of them send ballots. Only applications. If the voter is approved they can vote by mail.

Those six being MI, PA, WI, AZ, FL, and NC.

1 Like

I am in Arizona and vote by mail. And I will continue to do so.

1 Like

80,000 seems like a significant number.

Most of those rejected were rejected because they arrived late, it was a problem with the Post Office. They should be able to figure this out by November, unless Trump really guts the Post Office and makes this a reality in other places. Which is sort of what I suspect he is doing, but cannot be certain because that seems pretty out there.

3 Likes

That’s not true at all. Many many many places have long lines at the polls. I don’t want to stand with those people this year. Or any year, really. I love absentee voting by mail.

Isn’t that what the President is saying? The USPS can’t handle it?

Then why did Trump mail his ballot in?

It’s simple and easy to use. And you don’t have to get in crowds and worry about catching COVID. That right there is plenty of reason to mail in my vote.

We’re on the same page.

1 Like

How did he get his ballot?

If Florida’s system is like GA’s, it would have come through the mail.

Of course they can handle it, we are in the time of COVID and we need to adjust accordingly. Congress allocated funds to address this but the President and the Senate won’t allow it in a final bill.

With some public airtime we could even let voters know they can drop their ballot off at select locations leading up to the election, to ensure their vote is counted and lessen the load on the post office.

But the Post Office handled all of those checks Trump sent, no problem. They handle Xmas every year. They are used to handling bigger jobs. What we need to do is give them the support they need to do their job and not politicize it. If someone wants to vote by mail to lessen their exposure to COVID that is right and reasonable, lets make it happen.

1 Like

They didn’t in NY, you just said so.

1 Like

I love absentee voting by mail.

3 Likes