Irony in our Nation

The War Between the States was not fought over slavery, it was fought over secession from the Union, or States Rights. Southern Democrats were all for this secession. Fast forward to 2020 and six or seven blocks of Seattle seceding from the Union…and once more Democrats appear to be all in favor of the first and even giving the nod to more in cities across the country. Even more comical, Democrats are now in favor of tearing down every statue, monument, obliterating the names and lives of those first secessionists.

Perhaps we should also keep in mind that one of the arguments Democrats had for slavery is that the Black people could not take care of themselves, and this theme continued: Here comes Welfare and Food Stamps, then racial diversity programs…now reparations. What if we all stop seeing Black people as a race unable to take care of itself? By the way, the same can be said for women, homosexuals, transgenders, etc. What is it about this class of government elites who have this sick need to find a people to trample on and then to pat and stroke us as if we are nothing more than household pets?

To all Dems and Liberals who think they are being helpful: Get out of our way. We can take care of ourselves. We.are.not.your.pets.

6 Likes

Groundhog Day over and over again, no matter how many times the actual words of the Confederacy’s founders are posted…no matter how many times the Articles of Secession are posted where to a state, the number one reason for secession was to PRESERVE SLAVERY!

Why is it so hard for some of you to admit to what the founders of the Confederacy had NO PROBLEM ADMITTING?

Why are you so invested in the Lie of the Noble Lost Cause that first arose several decades later as a reaction to some of the first attempts at civil rights for blacks?

You say you feel no guilt for what our ancestors did.

That you invest so much in a lie told to try and absolve the South of said guilt makes me wonder if this is true.

It really does.

15 Likes

The South believed they were exercising their Constitutional rights to go their own way. I have not declared that slavery was not an issue. People could have warred over slavery in previous decades…but they did not. It took breaking the Union to start the War. It was States Rights versus the Union. It wasn’t until towards the end the Union truly realized that slavery would continue to be a States rights issue unless it was abolished all throughout the United States. It is a shame the Founding Fathers did not foresee this.

1 Like

No one is arguing this. The point is that secession was the reason for the war. As I said, a war could have been started over slavery decades upon decades prior to secession. But that did not happen.

First, I said no such thing. Second, I am not absolving anyone. Third, discussing the topic instead of making it about an individual you loathe would be nice for a change.

2 Likes

If the south had no slaves there would be no secession, sorry but its still slavery.

1 Like

There is no thing as the “war between the states”

It was the civil war.

It was the started by the shelling of a federal fort
Which rebellious forces wanted to illegal seize.

It ended when US Grant accepted Bobby Lee’s surrender

The rebs wanted to secede from the union, which ultimately failed to be allowed to continue slavery among other things.

Allan

1 Like

States’ rights to own other humans.

1 Like

Any chance that you had family in Missouri during the time of the Civil War? Everyone calls it what they want…and some still call it The War Between the States. It was, as you so aptly stated, about slavery…and other things.

2 Likes

Interesting thought. Did the State itself want to own humans, or was it that the State agreed individuals could own other individuals?

The state itself.

You have penchant for religion. The US Declaration of Independence states:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

The Confederacy was the antithesis of that. A religious minded person may even say it’s anti-God, or Satanic. At the very least it is completely un-American.

6 Likes

The dems have shown their true colors and it isn’t pretty.

You have to be brain dead to not see that.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of brain dead out there.

Lots of luck to them. They’re going to need it.

No, the argument against freeing them was because Slavers believed they would not “integrate” well. They could not read, write or work without a master. Remember slaves WERE PROPERTY.

I am discussing the topic.

The sides did war over slavery before secession.

Secession was caused by slavery…not because the South was trying to preserve states rights.

They were trying to preserve slavery.

Period.

You are repeating the lie if you say anything else.

The lie told to try and absolve the South decades later.

And part of discussing this topic is to understand why so many people today are invested in repeating the lie.

1 Like

I bought into the states right lie when I first moved to the US. Had some friends who were well educated who “educated” me on this. Then I got to know them better and discovered their true racist views.

3 Likes

No one is arguing about all men being created equal. Everyone agrees slavery is wrong. Did you read the lines after “All men are created equal”? They are:

That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

The South felt it was their Constitutional right to alter and to institute new government. Yes, the South ignored the first part just as the North ignored the second part.

This is not an argument over slavery; there is no argument.

Much of the debate then, as now, is over government. Does the Federal government have the right to tell any section of the nation they cannot set up their own rule or their own country?

What? Perhaps you should read the secessionist documents of the time to get first hand accounts from the leaders themselves?

1 Like

Actually both are true. The south fought for slavery, the north fought against secession.

Without slavery, secession wouldn’t have happened.