Iowa House overwhelmingly passes felon voting rights constitutional amendment

If a person still owes money that they are court ordered to pay . . . . are they still serving their sentence to make the payments?

Yes they are.

We don’t do things the easy way.

I don’t know how to help you get more hits on your OPs. I never created a lot of them. Honestly, I think my LIVESTREAM threads were my biggest hits.

Utah has it easy to change the constitution.

House and Senate approve a resonlution to change the constitution – complete with what the languate will be.

Next November, it’s on the ballot for a simple up or no majority vote of the people.

It’s nice that rich people have an easier time with the justice system than poor people do.

I don’t deny that it’s true, but do you think it should be true?

Do you think its right that some people who are due court ordered restitution have to wait years for it?

If you can’t do the time (that includes any payments the court orders) don’t do the crime.

Enjoyed the discussion, thanks.

1 Like

Okay, I must have missed this in the article. Read it twice. What do you mean protecting the employers?

We had a pickup stolen by a man that broke out of jail. He trashed the pickup and sold all the equipment to pawn shops. We had to buy a new pickup and buy our tools back from the pawn shops.
After 6 years we finally started getting restitution. At a whopping 13.00 a year. It’s going to take him a life time to pay us back. I say until I get my hard earned money back he has no right to get his rights back.

Because a man steals a truck he should have his voting rights revoked for life?

Not until he pays for his crime. Which includes repaying me. That is his punishment.
He had a choice he could have stayed in jail served his sentence and he would have all his rights back. But no he decided that he had the right to deprive me of what I had worked hard for.
You don’t think that it was unfair that I had to come up with the money to replace a pickup and buy back my tools. Plus that fact that I will be long dead before he even makes a dent in what he owes.
No one cares about the victims of crimes any more. We should just weep over the low lives that think they can hurt other people and never have to suffer for their actions.
And I say this as a person who hires many young men who have served time in jail.

You gave up horses, whiskey, and women to be here?

Maybe the inspirations are fewer and further between. :wink:

I would argue a middle ground. As long as you are making required minimum or better payments towards repayments you get to vote. At any point you fall behind or stop no voting.

Keep in mind felons often have difficulty securing a living wage job, let alone paying court fines. I say if you are making the effort you are contributing to society.

You forgot warm tea and a lap blanket.

1 Like

All rights should be restored after completion of sentence.

And if the sentence includes restitution to a victim?

That restitution must be paid, otherwise sentencing isn’t complete.

Rich people have an easier time in the justice system than poor people.
Rich people have an easier time everywhere than poor people. That’s why money is so popular.

(I’m not sure if your “nice” is ironic or not.)

“Should it be that way?” It doesn’t matter what “should”, the way money works, the rich have an easier time than the poor.
Our government “for, of, by” the people should be dollar blind. Therefore, if there is a structural inequity, the structure should benefit the poor to offset the power that comes from wealth.

A system that is supposed to be equitable should be designed to help those who need the help, not to enhance an existing power inbalance between citizens.

So when it comes to restitution how do you propose the equilization of the imbalance? Should the rich person be charged double restitution to pay off the less fortunates restitution payments? Should someone who is less fortunate not have to pay restitution to their victim?

The system is equitable, poor folks are held to the same expectations as rich folks when it comes to not committing felonies.

…well, maybe not so much when it comes to rich, gay, black actors…perhaps they’re privileged.