IndyCars - The off-season: Series news and comment until the March 2014 kick-off

+++

Pippa’s not the only IndyCar driver in the Indianapolis 8 Hour…

In the post above we focused on Pippa Mann, because we feel all her efforts at getting women into motorsports well earns her some attention now and then…as well as WINNING races like the ADAC Total 24h Race at the Nürburgring Nordschleife, of course. But Pippa is not the only IndyCar driver who will be running the Road Course at Indianapolis this weekend. In the same GT4 class with her will be Jack Hawksworth in TGR Smooge Racing’s Toyota GR Supra GT4 squad and Conor Daly in the Random Vandals Racing BMW M4 GT4.

Jack Hawksworth (left) and Conor Daly
JackHawksworth150-1ConorDaly150-2

In the top GT3 class we will see Juncos Hollinger Racing’s new IndyCar driver, Callum Illott, in a Ferrari 488 GT3 Evo fielded by AF Corse…

Callum Ilott
CallumIllott150-4

…Road to Indy ace Connor De Phillippe in the Turner Motorsport BMW M6 GT3…

Connor De Phillippe
ConnorDePhillippi150-4

…Road to Indy ace Dakota Dickerson and Indy Pro 2000 driver Jacob Abel will partner with IMSA TCR class points-leader Taylor Hagler in her Racer’s Edge Acura NSX GT3 Evo…

Dakota Dickerson (left) and Jacob Abel
Dak150_zpsafx6hopjJacobAbel175-4

…and the Big Kahuna will be IndyCar driver Jan Heylen, who is competing for two different GT3 championships, this year - One in IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge and one in SRO GT World Challenge America. Jan will join Fred Poordad and Max Root in a Porsche 911 GT3 R for Wright Motorsports. Those same three guys WON the same Silver class last year in the debut of this race.

Jan Heylen
Jan_zpsntn0jdfq

Pippa Mann - a practice in the rain, today
PippaRain

The race is LOADED with very talented international drivers…Stay tuned!

M

+++

They are qualified for the Indianapolis 8 Hour…

…and one of the IndyCar guys takes a pole. In the GT3 class overall the pole was taken by Alessandro Pier Guidi for AF Corsa in the # 51 Ferrari 488 GT3 Evo 2020, co-driven by Nicklas Nielsen and Come Ledogar. The trio are currently the Intercontinental GT Challenge championship leaders after winning the TotalEnergies 24 Hours of Spa season-opener in August. Alessandro put in a time of 1:33.456 seconds for a speed of 160.50mph.

Alessandro on the pole for Ferrari
AlessandroPierGuidi

Getting pole for the GT4 class was our own Road to Indy ace and IndyCar driver Jack Hawksworth in the # 68 Smooge Racing Toyota GR Supra GT4 he will share with Kevin Conway and John Geesbreght, thanks to his time of 1:43.069 seconds.

Jack Hawksworth on the pole
JackHawksworth300

The Indianapolis 8 Hour gets underway Sunday at 10:00am EASTERN time with live coverage on SRO’s GT World YouTube page and segments on CBS-SN from 12-2 and 4-6:30pm EASTERN time.

M

+++

The Indianapolis 8 Hour was a race with a split personality…

The first half was relatively calm, but the second half was full of incidents that had everyone changing their strategies on the fly. In the end, the overall WINNERS were Christopher Hasse, Markus Winkelhock and Patric Niederhauser who closed in the # 25 Audi R8 LMS GT3 for Audi Sport Team Saiteloc. Winkelhock left the track after his stint, to be with his very pregnant wife, but the rest of the team posed for the picture on the bricks, below:

SaintelocRacing

Sainteloc also captured the Silver class with the # 26 Audi R8 LMS GT3 driven by Aurelien Panis, Lucas Legeret and Nicolas Baert while ProAm class went to the # 75 SunEnergy 1 Racing mercedes-AMG GT3 driven by Kenny Habul, Martin Konrad and Mikael Grenier.

The # 36 BimmerWorld BMW crew of Bill Auberlen, Chandler Hull and James Clay WON the GT4 class, matching their victory result at the same event 1 year ago.

The highest-placing IndyCar drivers were Dakota Dickerson and Jacob Abel who co-drove with Taylor Hagler in her # 93 Racer’s Edge Motorsports Acura NSX GT3 Evo. The trio took P3 in the Silver class, from their P13 start.
Left to right, Dakota, Taylor and Jake - Way to go!!
DakotaTaylorJacob

It was a thrilling race with a track full of cars and full of action. This is going to become a great annual event at Indy.

M

+++

Another shoe drops in the Silly Season, as Christian Lundgaard joins RLL…

Rahal Letterman Lanigan recently made the decision of who will be campaigning the # 30 Honda for the team in 2022, at it’s the 20-year-old FIA Formula 2 racer Christian Lundgaard. Lundgaard will be doing all the races - including the ovals.

Christian Lundgaard

Lundgaard, a two-time race winner in F2 and a member of the F1 Alpine Academy, made his IndyCar debut with RLL in the Big Machine Spiked Coolers Grand Prix on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course in August. Despite very little time in the car prior to the race, the Dane impressed as he qualified P4 and went on to finish 12th.

Said Christian, “I’m very excited to join Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing in IndyCar. They are a fantastic team who made me feel very welcome earlier this year when I made my debut in the series. They are the perfect choice and I’m happy to join them on this next chapter in my career.

“Of course, this will be a completely new challenge for me, especially with oval racing, which I’ve never done before. I’d like to think I’m a fast learner, so taking this on is going to be an awesome experience. For now, I’m not setting too many expectations other than working hard and enjoying the racing and hopefully the results will follow."

Christian still has to finish out his duties in F2 for ART Grand Prix with triple headers at Jeddah and Yas Marina. He’ll then move Stateside to begin a new chapter in his life.

M

+++

Great news for Jr III Racing - they got Pigot for the Petit Le Mans…

IndyCar driver Spencer Pigot has announced that he will be the endurance “add” to the LMP3 class # 33 Ligier JS P320 for Jr III Racing in the Petit Le Mans, the 10-hour WeatherTech SportsCar Championship finale at Road Atlanta in early November, helping out regulars Ari Balogh and IndyCar driver Garett Grist.

Spencer Pigot
SpencerPigot

Jr III Racing is coming off a great P3 finish at the 3-hour enduro in the IMSA Prototype Challenge race at VIRginia International Raceway. Ari and Garett started the race from P7 and eventually found themselves a lap down at one point, but Garett drove past the entire field and got the lap back. Then, he drove from a P8 position to P3 on the final lap - a stellar drive for the ex-Indy Lights ace.

Ari Balogh (left) and Garett Grist at VIR
AriAndGarett

Said Spencer of the news, “I am very excited to join Jr III Racing for Petit Le Mans. Billy (Glavin) operates the team at a level that gives me confidence in the preparation of the car and Ari (Balogh) and Garret (Grist) have welcomed me with open arms. We have had the opportunity to work together in preparation for the race weekend. We have what it takes to contend for a win and show what we are capable of together during Petit Le Mans.”

If the WeatherTech Petit Le Mans race and the IMSA Prototype Challenge season finale race at Road Atlanta are anything like the enduro at VIR, we are in for a great treat. The small LMP3 prototypes always put on a very exciting show, and it’s only getting better, with this kind of talent joining in.

M

+++

Wither goest thou, Sebatien Bourdais?..

We got a partial answer to that question last week, as the four-time IndyCar Champion let it be known that he will drive the full season in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship in 2022, in one of Cadillac Chip Ganassi Racing’s now two DPi V.R Cadillacs in the DPi class.

Seb will be on the same squad with returning team driver Renger van der Zande and new drivers Alex Lynn and Earl Bamber. The actual pairing in the cars has yet to be announced, but we expect Seb to be in one car and Renger to be in the other, so as to put at least one very experienced DPi pilot in each car.

Sebastien Bourdais - SportsCars for sure for 2022
SebastienBourdais300

BUT, WAIT! Is that the end of Bourdais’ IndyCar career? No, it is not. According to Seb, AJ Foyt Enterprises still has an option on his duties in 2022 and are seeing what kind of sponsorship deal they can throw together. All we know for sure at this point is that Seb WILL DO the full season for CCGR in 2022. He MAY also do the majority of races in the # 14 Chevrolet for AJ Foyt, but there is a conflict between IndyCar and IMSA in five of the races currently on the calendar, so there is no way he can do the full IndyCar season.

Larry Foyt blessed the Frenchman’s move to full-time IMSA driving in 2022, so this is all with Foyt’s knowledge and agreement and Seb agreed not to shop his talents around to other IndyCar teams, in the mean time.

When the AJ Foyt guys finally land on a solid plan for the # 14 Chevy, we will let you know whether or not Seb will be turning an IndyCar wheel in 2022.

M

+++

On Monday, five guys tested IndyCars at Barber Motorsports Park…

They were 2021 Indy Lights Champion Kyle Kirkwood, driving the # 26 Andretti Autosport Honda, Indy Lights driver Devlin DeFrancesco in the # 29 Andretti Autosport Honda, 2012 IndyCar Champion Ryan Hunter-Reay in the # 20 Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet, Formula 1 veteran Nico Hulkenberg in the # 7 Arrow McLaren SP Chevrolet and 2021 Indy Lights Vice-Champion David Malukas in the # 18 Dale Coyne Racing Honda.

For Malukas and Hulkenberg, it was their first times ever in an IndyCar. For David, it didn’t seem to matter, as he TOPPED both the morning and the afternoon sessions in the Coyne entry.

David all smiles at Barber
DavidMalukasBarber

Times are unofficial, but there are always enough fence-hangers at these things with a stop-watch in their hands that we get some idea of what went on:

1 - David Malukas 76.398 seconds
2 - Ryan Hunter-Reay 76.698 seconds
3 - Devlin DeFrancesco 76.781 seconds
4 - Kyle Kirkwood 76.995 seconds
5 - Nico Hulkenberg 77.454 seconds

Said a very enthused David, “Wow, just beautiful, I am in love! It’s just a beautiful car. What a beast. I went out and was just shocked by the amount of grip and downforce that it has through these high-speed corners. I’m going through them, thinking that’s the limit, and then I’m like, ‘Oh, no, maybe I could go deeper.’ And I just kept going deeper and deeper. And it’s just holding and holding. I was like, ‘Damn, this thing just has an immense amount of grip.’

Malukas then echoed the assessment of Devlin and Kyle after their first test at Sebring, a few weeks ago, stating that the Lights car is actually harder to drive in some ways, and therefore great prep for IndyCars:

“After a couple of laps, I honestly I felt at home after my first run. Everything just felt like I’ve been doing it for such a long time, and it was just a really good feeling to have. I honestly do think Indy Lights is an amazing car to prepare you for IndyCar. It doesn’t drive the same. But if anything, I think the Indy Lights car is harder; it’s a harder learning curve. I think that it’s a good jump to have going into an IndyCar just because in Lights, for that thing to be quick, it’s got to be sideways 24/7.

“So, when you get into an IndyCar with more downforce and bigger tires, you don’t need to be sideways all the time. It really helps, I mean, we got down to our times pretty quick and we’re quickest on the day.”

David in the car campaigned by Ed Jones in 2021
DavidIn the car

No confirmations yet, but it looks pretty good for the Chicago native to end up in a Dale Coyne car in conjunction with HMD Motorsports for 2022.

M

+++

Linus Lundqvist will test at IMS for Andretti Autosport on Friday…

…just before the Chris Griffis Memorial Test gets underway on Saturday on the Road Course at Indy. One of the great things about the Road to Indy is that the TOP THREE series finishers get a chance to test in an IndyCar. Both Champion Kyle Kirkwood and Vice-Champion David Malukas have already had their tests, so this is 3rd place Linus’ shot at driving the big car. He will drive the # 26 Honda that Colton Herta campaigned in 2021 in the morning. Then, in the afternoon, Kyle will get back in the car for a third time, following stints at Sebring and Barber.

Linus gets a chance to drive the big car
LinusLundqvist300-

Lundqvist is not angling for a shot with the team. In fact, he is expected to return for a 2nd season of the Lights with Global Racing Group w/ HMD Motorsports, and he has a great chance of being Champion in 2022.

We are hearing that at the Chris Griffis no less than FIVE drivers will be evaluated by the HMD guys. In their cars will likely be Danial Frost, Manuel Sulaiman, Christian Bogle, Benjamin Pedersen and Ernie Francis, Jr.

Look for Danial Frost (left) Manuel Sulaiman, Christian Bogle (right)…
DanialFrost175-2ManuelSulaiman150-1ChristianBogle150-4

…Benjamin Pedersen, (left) and Ernie Francis, Jr.
BenjaminPedersen150-2ErnieFrancisJr150-1

Should be fun!

M

+++

Sting Ray Robb lands at Andretti Autosport for his 2022 season of Indy Lights…

The 2020 Indy Pro 2000 Champ spent 2021 in a learning year in Indy Lights with Juncos Hollinger Racing, and while those guys are the thrill in IP2K it’s the Andretti team that has produced the last three Indy Lights Champions and Sting Ray wants some of that.

Sting Ray Robb
robb

Said Sting Ray, *“I’m so thrilled to be joining the Andretti Autosport family - their history in motorsports is phenomenal and second to none. With their experience and resources, I am looking forward to some amazing results. I saw tremendous growth as a driver this past season and am anticipating using all those tools as I move forward with the Andretti Autosport team. As I team up with Andretti, I am confident that the Indy Lights Championship is an achievable goal.

"A huge thank you to everyone at Andretti Autosport for believing in my ability and talent. And, to all you TEAM SR2 fans who have supported me as family, friends and partners, I thank you with a grateful heart. I know that we are all beyond excited to see what the 2022 season has in store, but before then, there is work to be done. Thank you, God, for allowing me another season with You behind the wheel with such a great team.”*

Sting Ray will be with the team at the Chris Griffis Memorial Tests this weekend.

M

+++

Matthew Brabham is coming to the Chris Griffis Memorial Test, this weekend…

Brabham is one of the Road to Indy greats. In 2012 he became the USF2000 Champion with 4 WINS in 14 starts. The following year he absolutely demolished the competition in Indy Pro 2000 with a record-setting 13 WINS in 16 starts, getting on the podium in all but one race.

In 2014 Brabham had a decent rookie year in Indy Lights but Champion Gabby Chaves, Jack Harvey and Zach Veach all had better seasons. Brabham started the 2015 season but only ran in three races before tapping out.

This weekend, he’s BACK and will be driving a Lights car for Andretti Autosport

Matthew Brabham
MatthewBrabham300-2

After leaving open wheel Brabham found steady work in Robby Gordon’s Stadium Super Trucks, where he has become a three-time Champion and one of the very best in the 600 HP beasts, but he wants to return to open wheel and this is a pathway back.

Brabham will be joined by Sting Ray Robb, as mentioned in the post above, and also by Indy Pro 2000 2021 Champion Christian Rasmussen, as well as IP2K 3rd place pilot Hunter McElrea - What a fantastic squad!

Sting Ray Robb (left), Christian Rasmussen, and Hunter McElrea (right) - the right stuff
StingRayRobb150-3christian_zpsdocaz5sdHunterMcElrea150-5

M

+++

Ricardo Juncos is bringing Matteo Nannini to Indy for the Chris Griffis Memorial…

Juncos Hollinger Racing will bring part-time Formula 2 racer and Formula 3 race-WINNER Matteo Nannini to this weekend’s Chris Griffis Memorial Test at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway with an eye towards making him one of their 2022 Indy Lights drivers. Nannini is in the third year of his open-wheel single-seater career. He started in Formula 4 where he WON the United Arab Emirates title as a rookie and then moved straight into the Formula Regional European Championship where he came 13th in the standings. The two years since have been spent in F3, where he has claimed one WIN. The 18-year-old has also contested three F2 rounds and made the TOP TEN twice in his debut weekend in the series.

Ricardo Juncos (left) and Matteo Nannini - Indy Lights bound
RicardoNannini

Said Matteo, “I can’t wait to be running at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This will be my first time in the United States, so I am looking forward to this experience as it is not every day that you get to test on a track like this. I am sure we will have a great weekend and I want to thank Juncos Hollinger Racing for giving me the opportunity to test in the Indy Lights series.”

Nannini will be on the squad with Rasmus Lindh, who is coming off a fantastic WIN for Performance Tech Motorsports at the IMSA Prototype Challenge race at VIRginia International Raceway, and heading to Road Atlanta for the IMSA season finale at the Petit Le Mans.

Rasmus Lindh - back with JHR for the Chris Griffis
RasmusLindh300

M

+++

Kyffin Simpson has decided to go Indy Lights racing for 2022…

The very talented points-leader in Formula Regional Americas has a few races left to run to sew up the title in that series, but he and his team TJ Speed have decided to head to the Indy Lights for 2022. The amazing thing is that as the FR Americas Champion, he will get a $600,000 scholarship from Honda to run in Super Formula in Japan, but Kyffin would rather run in Indy Lights.

Kyffin Simpson
KyffinSimpson300-2

We have to believe that Simpson, who has also run almost a full season of Indy Pro 2000 for Juncos Hollinger in 2021, claiming three podiums, likes the Road to Indy culture, and believes that’s the best path to IndyCars.

Said the Grand Cayman native, “I’m really excited to confirm my 2022 Indy Lights program with TJ Speed Motorsports. It’s another important step to reach my overall goal, racing in IndyCar. With IndyCar resuming management of the series from next season, things are looking positive for the future.

“The IL-15 is great to drive. Tim [Neff], the team and I have been working hard to understand what it needs to get that last 5% out of it, and I feel pretty confident I will be challenging at the front from the season opener.

“I wouldn’t be here without Tim’s support and I’m grateful we can make this step together, just one year after I started working with him, and two years after I made my car racing debut.”

Two weeks ago Kyffin did a two-day test at Road America in one of TJ SPeed’s Dallaras where England’s Toby Sowery was driving the team’s second chassis. While not on the official entry list, we believe Toby will also be at the Chris Griffis, driving for TJ Speed. Sowery would be the perfect teammate for a rookie in the Lights. He coaches for a living.

Toby Sowery for TJ Speed?
TobySowery300-4

Said TJ Speed’s team boss, Tim Neff, "All of us at TJ Speed are excited to have Kyffin sign with us for Indy Lights. We’ve had great success in FRegional this year and are hard at work to prepare for the next step of Kyffin’s career.

“Testing in the IL-15 has been going great. We have been to Autobahn, Barber, Homestead and Road America so far and Kyff hasn’t put a foot wrong.”

Tim Neff
TimNeff150-1

M

+++

Saturday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway - The Chris Griffis Memorial Test is underway!

The great Road to Indy search for talent is starting today and completing on Sunday, with 6 sessions each for USF2000, Indy Pro 2000 and Indy Lights on the Indy Road Course. This is the opportunity for teams to meet new drivers, as well as returning veterans, and for drivers to meet the teams, to see if the fit for a season is good. The Chris Griffis always gives us a fairly accurate image of what the next season will look like at the start. The guys doing well here are likely to start the 2022 season with good performances, although NOT necessarily with the teams they test with, here. That is yet to be decided. Attending the CGMT is not at all mandatory to race in the Road to Indy, but it sure is a great introduction to the series.

The first series on track today were the kids from USF2000, and we already had a few expected results and a few surprising results.

Here is the order of speed for USF2000 T-1 test session, with times for the TOP FIVE: [R] denotes rookie

1 - Mac Clark [R], DEForce Racing - time of 01:45.6291s for a speed of 87.930mph
MacClark300-2

2 - Dylan Christie, DEForce Racing - time of 01:45.6973s for a speed of 87.874mph
DylanChristie150-1

3 - Jagger Jones [R], Cape Motorsports - time of 01:45.7565s for a speed of 87.824mph
JaggerJones150-1

4 - Ayrton Houk [R], Pabst Racing - time of 01:45.7611s for a speed of 87.821mph
AyrtonHouk150-1

5 - Jackson Lee, Cape Motorsports - time of 01:46.1994s for a speed of 87.458mph
JacksonLee150-1

6 - Thomas Nepveu, DEForce Racing
7 - Lucas Mann [R], Exclusive Autosport
8 - Nicholas d’Orlando [R], Cape Motorsports
9 - Ethan Ho [R], Exclusive Autosport
10 - Yeoroo Lee [R], Jay Howard Driver Development

11 - TJ Thompson [R], Jay Howard Driver Development
12 - Simon Sikes, Legacy Autosport
13 - Viktor Andersson [R], Legacy Autosport
14 - Trey Burke, Joe Dooling Autosports

Notable:

• The first non-surprise is Mackenzie Clark in P1. Mac is one of those super karters that Canada often produces. He transitioned to F1600 in 2019 and destroyed everyone, WINNING 18 races and securing 20 podiums in 22 series races. In 2021 the 17-year-old, now in F4 United States, became the series Vice-Champion, with 5 WINS and 11 podiums in 17 rounds, driving for Gonella Racing. If this guy joins USF2000 he should be an instant title contender.

• Sophomore Dylan Christie is a bit of a surprise in P2. Dylan’s rookie season in 2021 with Turn 3 Motorsports was middling, with a P8 at Indy being his best finish of his four TOP TENS. It often happens that after a learning rookie year, a sophomore really turns it on in year 2, so we will watch Dylan with interest.

• Another not-so-surprising performance was the P3 from Jagger Jones, the grandson of the legendary Parnelli Jones. But Jagger comes from NASCAR’s K&N Pro series, where the 19-year-old collected a WIN in 5 podiums in 2019, ending the year as Vice-Champion, so his transition to open wheel is a bit of a surprise.

• Indiana native Ayrton Houk earned his SCCA license from The Lucas Oil School of Racing in 2020 and then ran the full Kenyon Midget season, competing at oval tracks across the state of Indiana. In 2021 he added a few FRP1600 races to his resume, as well as more midget racing, and believes it’s time to try some wings and slicks on that open-wheeler. This is a good start.

• Returning sophomores Thomas Nepveu and Jackson Lee should stay in the top half of the grid and we think Simon Sikes really might belong testing in Indy Pro 2000 - he’s that good, as the Team USA Scholarship WINNER had 4 podiums, 5 TOP FIVES and 7 TOP TENS in 2021.

Thomas Nepveu (left) and Simon Sikes (right)
ThomasNepveu150-2SimonSikes150-3

USF2000 will have two more session today. Next up, the Indy Pro 2000 gang take to the track for their first session…

M

+++

Saturday at Indianapolis - Indy Pro 2000 begins their testing…

…at the 2021 Chris Griffis Memorial, with a nice group of returning veterans and some great rookie prospects. IP2K is usually loaded with talent, with racers already familiar with junior open wheel and possessing good racecraft. It’s harder to be exceptional in this series, and often anyone in the TOP TEN is capable of podiums and WINS.

Here was the order of speed for the Indy Pro 2000 T-1 session, with times for the TOP FIVE: [R] denotes rookie

1 - Louis Foster [R], Exclusive Autosport - time of 01:40.2418s for a speed of 92.656mph
LouisFoster300-1

2 - Matt Round-Garrido, Exclusive Autosport - time of 01:40.8571s for a speed of 92.091mph
matt150_zps3vojvlab

3 - Bijoy Garg [R], Jay Howard Driver Development - time of 01:40.9183s for a speed of 92.035mph
BijoyGarg150-1

4 - Billy Frazer [R], Exclusive Autosport - time of 01:41.2745s for a speed of 91.711mph
BillyFrazer150-1

5 - Jack William Miller, Miller Vinatieri Motorsports - time of 01:41.4921s for a speed of 91.515mph
JackWilliamMiller150-3

6 - Blake Upton [R], Turn 3 Motorsport
7 - Josh Pierson [R], Pabst Racing
8 - Wyatt Brichacek, Jay Howard Driver Development
9 - Kiko Porto [R], DEForce Racing
10 - Yuven Sundaramoorthy [R], Pabst Racing

11 - Nicholas Rivers [R], Jay Howard Driver Development
12 - Josh Green [R], Turn 3 Motorsport
13 - Nolan Siegel [R], DEForce Racing - no time
14 - Arias Deukmedjian [R], Deuk Spine Racing - no time
15 - Casey Putsch [R], Legacy Autosport - no time
16 - Enaam Ahmed, Juncos Hollinger Racing - no time
17 - Reece Gold, Juncos Hollinger Racing - no time

Notable:

• It’s no surprise that England’s Louis Foster is on the top, here. The 18-year-old started racing in SportsCars in Ginetta Junior in 2018 and blew it out, taking the Vice-Championship with 9 WINS and 19 podiums. In 2019 he moved into open wheel in F4 Britain, taking 6 WINS and 13 podiums in his rookie season. In 2020 it was on to Euroformula Open where the rookie took a WIN and 2 podiums. This year, he was Euroformula Open’s Vice-Champion, with 3 WINS and 11 podiums. This guy is a title contender, right now.

• We are very familiar with Brit Matt Round-Garrido, all the way back to the last Road to Indy Shootout. He never seems to have the budget to stick around but when he races he can really turn it on, so let’s hope he can stay in a program.

• The real surprise here is rookie Bijoy Garg. In almost two seasons of USF2000 Bijoy only cracked the TOP TEN once, for a P6 - his best finish. We want to see if this good showing is a fluke, or if the Californian is ready to race harder.

• Both Billy Frazer and Jack William Miller have proven to us that they are capable of TOP FIVES in the past, but a lot of the big guns haven’t yet turned it on, so let’s see if these guys can hang with the TOP performers.

• Not yet in race trim are 2021 USF2000 Champ Kiko Porto, 3rd place Yuven Sundaramoorthy, and the two Joshes, Pierson and Green. We expect all these guys to be able to TOP FIVE, eventually. That also goes for Nolan Siegel, Reece Gold and Enaam Ahmed, who haven’t gotten on track, yet.

• NOT at the test is 2021 USF2000 Vice-Champion Michael d’Orlando. We HOPE that is not a bad sign for his 2022 prospects.

Kiko Porto (left), Yuven Sundaramoorthy, Josh Pierson (right)
Kiko150_zps4xuavrmqYuvenSundaramoorthy150-3JoshPierson150-5

AWOL - Michael d’Orlando
MichaelD'Orlando150-2

IP2K will do two more tests today. Next up, the Indy Lights

M

+++

Saturday at Indianapolis - The Indy Lights begin their testing…

…and the first thing to know is that Linus Lundqvist is not testing, as the Swede 3rd place 2021 contender is a likely shoo-in for a spot on the Global Racing Group w/ HMD Motorsports roster for 2022 and HMD needs their cars for testing others. So, we cannot compare Linus to everyone else.

Here was the order of speed for the Indy Lights T-1 session, with times for the TOP FIVE: [R] denotes rookie

1 - Jacob Abel [R], Abel Motorsports - time of 01:35.4380s for a speed of 97.320mph
JacobAbel300-2

2 - Matteo Nannini [R], Juncos Hollinger Racing - time of 01:35.5351s for a speed of 97.221mph
MatteoNannini150-1

3 - Kyffin Simpson [R], TJ Speed Motorsports - time of 01:35.8225s for a speed of 96.929mph
KyffinSimpson150-1

4 - Rasmus Lindh, Juncos Hollinger Racing - time of 01:36.7351s for a speed of 96.015mph
edited-image_zpst70htpiq

5 - Sting Ray Robb, Andretti Autosport - time of 01:50.6489s for a speed of 83.941mph
StingRayRobb150-7

6 - Christian Rasmussen [R], Andretti Autosport
7 - Matthew Brabham [R], Andretti Autosport
8 - Antonio Serravalle, Pserra Racing / AS Promotions
9 - Christian Bogle, HMD Motorsports
10 - Hunter McElrea [R], Andretti Autosport

11 - Benjamin Pedersen [R)], GRG w/HMD Motorsports - no time
12 - Manuel Sulaiman, HMD Motorsports - no time
13 - Danial Frost, HMD Motorsports - no time
14 - Ernie Francis Jr [R], HMD Motorsports - no time

Notable:

• Make no mistake about it, Jacob Abel is a very talented and flexible driver, able to get the most out of SportsCars, open-wheel cars and even Stadium Super Trucks, and we would have pegged him to be TOP FIVE, but not P1. Let’s see if he can stay there, or near there, as the days go on.

• We were warned that Matteo Nannini, coming from F3 and F2 in Europe, might be good right out of the gate. Ricardo Juncos was very happy to get him to test for JHR.

• Kyffin Simpson is wrapping up the Championship in Formula Regional Americas, right now, so no surprise he is TOP FIVE. He bring TJ Speed as a new Indy Lights team with him from FRA.

• Rasmus Lindh had 6 starts in 2021, so he is not a full-on rookie. The Swede is one of the best Road to Indy aces, with Vice Championships in both USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000. He may also end up as the 2021 IMSA Prototype Challenge Champion, in a few weeks.

• Sting Ray Robb considered 2021 a learning year. The 2020 Indy Pro 2000 Champ wants to step it up for 2022, so the move to Andretti was made. He is already signed.

• Benjamin Pedersen, Manuel Sulaiman, Danial Frost and Ernie Francis have yet to take to the track.

The Lights will also do two more sessions today. Next up, USF2000 returns…

M

+++

Saturday at Indianapolis - USF2000 gets their second bite of the apple…

…as they come out for Round 2 of the test, and one of the guys makes us look prophetic, as Simon Sikes goes to the TOP.

Here is the order of speed for the USF2000 T-2 test, with times for the TOP FIVE: [R] denotes rookie

1 - Simon Sikes, Legacy Autosport - time of 01:38.1974s for a speed of 94.585mph
SimonSikes300-1

2 - Jackson Lee, Cape Motorsports - time of 01:38.5896s for a speed of 94.209mph
JacksonLee150-1

3 - Trey Burke, Joe Dooling Autosports - time of 01:38.7290s for a speed of 94.076mph
TreyBurke150-2

4 - Nicholas d’Orlando [R], Cape Motorsports - time of 01:38.9936s for a speed of 93.824mph
NicholasDOrlando150-1

5 - Mac Clark [R], DEForce Racing - time of 01:39.2320s for a speed of 93.599mph
MacClark150-1

6 - Thomas Nepveu, DEForce Racing
7 - Lucas Mann [R], Exclusive Autosport
8 - Ayrton Houk [R], Pabst Racing
9 - Dylan Christie, DEForce Racing
10 - Jagger Jones [R], Cape Motorsports

11 - TJ Thompson [R], Jay Howard Driver Development
12 - Yeoroo Lee [R], Jay Howard Driver Development
13 - Ethan Ho [R], Exclusive Autosport
14 - Viktor Andersson [R], Legacy Autosport - no time

Notable:

• Top speeds went up considerably in the T-2 session and Simon Sikes was up for it, as were fellow sophomores Jackson Lee and Trey Burke. This is Trey’s best-ever showing in a test and it proves that there is always a gap between the rookies in USF2000 and the vets that is more pronounced than in IP2K or the Lights. Any experience in this series pays dividends, right away.

• Nicholas d’Orlando is the younger brother of 2021 Vice-Champion Michael d’Orlando and is the 2021 FRP F1600 Champion, driving for Team Pelfrey. He finished the season with an astonishing 12 WINS and 18 podiums in 24 starts. This is his first drive in a car with both wings and slicks, but it doesn’t seem to phase him.

• Sweden’s Viktor Andersson again failed to get on track. He is losing valuable track time.

Viktor Andersson
ViktorAndersson150-1

Next, the Indy Pro 2000 guys come out for the T-2 session…

M

+++

Saturday at Indianapolis - Indy Pro 2000 hold their 2nd test of the day…

The series hot shoes are all floating towards the top, and a rookie leads them.

Here is the order of speed for the Indy Pro 2000 T-2 session, with times for the TOP FIVE: [R] denotes rookie

1 - Louis Foster [R], Exclusive Autosport - time of 01:32.6571s for a speed of 100.241mph
LouisFoster300-3

2 - Enaam Ahmed, Juncos Hollinger Racing - time of 01:33.4655s for a speed of 99.374mph
EnaamAhmed150-1

3 - Nolan Siegel [R], DEForce Racing - time of 01:33.4655s for a speed of 99.374mph
NolanSiegel150-8

4 - Kiko Porto [R], DEForce Racing - time of 01:33.6670s for a speed of 99.160mph
KikoPorto150-5

5 - Matt Round-Garrido, Exclusive Autosport - time of 01:33.7757s for a speed of 99.045mph
MattRoundGarrido150-3

6 - Josh Green [R], Turn 3 Motorsport
7- Josh Pierson [R], Pabst Racing
8 - Billy Frazer [R], Exclusive Autosport
9 - Jack William Miller, Miller Vinatieri Motorsports
10 - Bijoy Garg [R], Jay Howard Driver Development

11 - Blake Upton [R], Turn 3 Motorsport
12 - Wyatt Brichacek, Jay Howard Driver Development
13 - Arias Deukmedjian [R], Deuk Spine Racing
14 - Casey Putsch [R], Legacy Autosport
15 - Yuven Sundaramoorthy [R], Pabst Racing
16 - Nicholas Rivers [R], Jay Howard Driver Development
17 - Reece Gold, Juncos Hollinger Racing

Notable:

• The TOP TEN is pretty much exactly what we would have predicted, except that Reece Gold put in no time and Yuven Sundaramoorthy only put in two laps, so both are not in there, and easily would be. Reece has yet to turn a wheel.

• If there was a nation’s cup, England would have WON it, with three Brits in the TOP FIVE - Enaam, Louis and Matt.

Reece Gold - not rolling
ReeceGold150-6

Next, the Lights come out for their 2nd test of the day…

M

+++

Saturday at Indianapolis - The Indy Lights go for their 2nd test of the day…

…and the veteran rides to the top, as Benjamin Pedersen leads the pack for Global Racing Group w/ HMD Motorsports.

Here is the order of speed for the Indy Lights T-2 test, with times for the TOP FIVE: [R] denotes rookie

1 - Benjamin Pedersen, GRG w/HMD Motorsports - time of 01:26.1408s for a speed of 107.823mph
BenjaminPedersen300-1

2 - Rasmus Lindh, Juncos Hollinger Racing - time of 01:26.2973s for a speed of 107.628mph
rasmus_zpszcadxunu

3 - Sting Ray Robb, Andretti Autosport - time of 01:26.5153s for a speed of 107.357mph
StingRayRobb150-4

4 - Danial Frost, HMD Motorsports - time of 01:26.5375s for a speed of 107.329mph
DanialFrost150-5

5 - Manuel Sulaiman, HMD Motorsports - time of 01:26.6570s for a speed of 107.181mph
ManuelSulaiman150-5

6 - Hunter McElrea [R], Andretti Autosport
7 - Christian Rasmussen [R], Andretti Autosport
8 - Jacob Abel [R], Abel Motorsports
9 - Kyffin Simpson [R], TJ Speed Motorsports
10 - Ernie Francis Jr [R], HMD Motorsports

11 - Matteo Nannini [R], Juncos Hollinger Racing
12 - Antonio Serravalle, Pserra Racing / AS Promotions
13 - Christian Bogle, HMD Motorsports
14 - Matthew Brabham [R], Andretti Autosport

Notable:

• Pedersen was coming on strong at the end of the 2021 season, so this is no surprise. We expect Benjamin to be a top performer in 2022.

• We are a little more surprised with how well Sting Ray is doing. He said that he was learning in 2021, with the intent to turn it on in 2022, and he’s showing us he meant it. We like it. The Payette, Idaho native is a very popular guy with his fan base, who have been with him for years, through thick and thin.

• As with the other two series, this second test is considerably faster than the morning session, and as the speeds go up, the drivers settle into their proper places in the speed order and the TOP FIVE are all series returnees. As a result, Matt Brabham, the rustiest driver of all here, is last. He’s not far off Christian Bogle but he is two seconds off Benjamin. More than anything, he needs time in the car.

Matt Brabham - iron oxide all over
matt_brabham_zpsmtm7nkxz

Next, the kids from USF2000 hold their last test of the day…

M

+++

Saturday at Indianapolis - USF2000 ends the day with T-3…

…and the picture of who the fast guys are is already becoming clearer.

Here is the order of speed for the USF2000 T-3 session, with times for the TOP FIVE: [R] denotes rookie

1 - Jagger Jones [R], Cape Motorsports - time of 01:35.9984s for a speed of 96.752mph
JaggerJones300-1

2 - Simon Sikes, Legacy Autosport - time of 01:36.0112s for a speed of 96.739mph
SimonSikes150-4

3 - Mac Clark [R], DEForce Racing - time of 01:36.2502s for a speed of 96.499mph
MacClark150-1

4 - Thomas Nepveu, DEForce Racing - time of 01:36.3935s for a speed of 96.355mph
ThomasNepveu150-1

5 - Jackson Lee, Cape Motorsports - time of 01:36.5407s for a speed of 96.208mph
JacksonLee150-1

6 - Nicholas d’Orlando [R], Cape Motorsports
7 - Trey Burke, Joe Dooling Autosports
8 - Ayrton Houk [R], Pabst Racing
9 - Dylan Christie, DEForce Racing
10 - Lucas Mann [R], Exclusive Autosport

11 - Yeoroo Lee [R], Jay Howard Driver Development
12 - Ethan Ho [R], Exclusive Autosport
13 - TJ Thompson [R], Jay Howard Driver Development
14 - Viktor Andersson [R], Legacy Autosport

Notable:

• The TOP FIVE is composed of three veterans and two rookies with outstanding resumes and that is quite typical for USF2000. Drivers come in and learn for a year or two and then turn it on, or they come in already WINNERS in other series, and just need to get acclimated in the new car. The TOP THREE guys have each had a top spot today and Jagger’s time TOPS the day.

• This was the fastest session yet and the TOP TEN cars were all within a second, so everyone is levelling out, and the differences will get smaller and smaller. We will be measuring hundredths, maybe thousandths of a second by Sunday afternoon to claim a spot.

• Viktor Andersson has still not come out to drive. We are beginning to suspect that Legacy Autosport only brought one chassis to Indy and Simon Sikes has been using it all day. That will be confirmed if Viktor gets to use it tomorrow and Simon sits it out, instead.

Viktor waits
ViktorAndersson150-1

Next up, the last test of the day for Indy Pro 2000.

M

+++

Saturday at Indianapolis - Indy Pro 2000 does T-3…

…and the TOP SPOT goes to a veteran, as Jack William Miller makes a mark.

Here was the order of speed for the Indy Pro 2000 T-3 session, with times for the TOP FIVE: [R] denotes rookie

1 - Jack William Miller, Miller Vinatieri Motorsports - time of 01:30.6815s for a speed of 102.424mph
JackWilliamMiller300-2

2 - Louis Foster [R], Exclusive Autosport - time of 01:30.8505s for a speed of 102.234mph
LouisFoster150-2

3 - Kiko Porto [R], DEForce Racing - time of 01:30.9520s for a speed of 102.120mph
KikoPorto150-3

4 - Reece Gold, Juncos Hollinger Racing - time of 01:31.1310s for a speed of 101.919mph
ReeceGold150-

5 - Bijoy Garg [R], Jay Howard Driver Development - time of 01:31.3776s for a speed of 101.644mph
BijoyGarg150-2

6 - Wyatt Brichacek, Jay Howard Driver Development
7 - Nolan Siegel [R], DEForce Racing
8 - Enaam Ahmed, Juncos Hollinger Racing
9 - Josh Green [R], Turn 3 Motorsport
10 - Yuven Sundaramoorthy [R], Pabst Racing

11 - Billy Frazer [R], Exclusive Autosport
12 - Matt Round-Garrido, Exclusive Autosport
13 - Josh Pierson [R], Pabst Racing
14 - Nicholas Rivers [R], Jay Howard Driver Development
15 - Blake Upton [R], Turn 3 Motorsport
16 - Arias Deukmedjian [R], Deuk Spine Racing
17 - Casey Putsch [R], Legacy Autosport

Notable:

• Jack topped the session and the day, as this was the fastest session for the IP2K guys. Jack has shown flashes of speed in the past but he’s never topped a test before. This could be his year.

• The TOP FIVE surprise here is Bijoy Garg. This has been a very good day for the 19-year-old from Atherton, California. If he keeps up this kind of pace he will be on podiums, this season, when he never cracked TOP FIVE in USF2000. We are also delighted with teammate Wyatt Brichacek in P6.

• No surprise is Reece Gold making the TOP FIVE. All he needed was a running car and he made it on his first try of the day.

• Slipping a bit is Josh Pierson. It’s unusual to see him out of the TOP TEN. He’s one of the most aggressive racers in the Road to Indy, and he won’t even be 16 until February.

• The TOP TEN were all within 1 seconds of each other.

Josh Pierson
JoshPierson150-1

Next, the Indy Lights close the day with their last session…

M