Indigenous Peoples Day

It’s about time North American indigenous peoples and their cultural traditions & sad, but at the same time fascinating history were honored.

Thoughts?

1 Like

I want to know when we get Vikings Day, who reached the North American continent long before that Johnny-come-lately Columbus.

3 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Mysteries-Ancient-Americas-Before-Columbus/dp/0895771837/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=mysteries+of+the+ancient+americas&qid=1573495521&sr=8-2

You’d love this read! There’s a chapter specifically devoted to the Vikings.

I don’t know a single person who’s ever celebrated Columbus Day. Whoever wants it can have it. lol

1 Like

Good!
So many people (quality reading, “They Came Before Columbus”) made it over here before him. Also, how the hell can you discover something when people were already here.
In my SE DC vernacular, Columbus ain’t discover ■■■■ moe. Nothing more than a pleasure seeking thug.

There is a theory that Columbus’ voyage to the New World was motivated by a desire to find a safe haven for Spanish Jewry, who were brutally suppressed and killed by the Crown.

Regardless, I’d rather see indigenous peoples celebrated in the Fall—especially since Columbus Day wasn’t recognized as an official holiday until 1937.

as an Indigenous Canadian, I’m a big support of sharing local culture and history.

Have you ever been to L’Anse Aux Meadows its quite a nice visit they have a recreated sod house you get a taste of life during that time.

June 22 is National Aboriginal day in Canada.
Canada has tons of cultural days its a non stop party unless its winter.

I need to get down South for Acadia day though.

I have always taken a neutral view of Columbus. I don’t celebrate him. On the other hand, he was not any worse than what came after him and the American continents would have been discovered and overrun by the Europeans with or without Columbus.

What would you call politicians that change their minds and take this day back?

Indigenous givers. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I don’t get why Columbus has a day, he didn’t do much outside of mistakenly find one of the largest land masses in the world by accident.

Here is a history of that observance in the U.S. Most employers who observe it are local, state & federal government employers. Most private sector businesses don’t observe it.

or in Canada Thanksgiving and pumpkin festivals.

There is a funny aspect to this.

The District of Columbia is so named in honor of Columbus.

So even with this change they STILL honor Columbus and nothing they can do about it, since only Congress can change the name of the District. :smile:

And all the various cities named Columbus are not going to change their names.

Like it or not, Columbus got here first and thus got dibs on naming rights. :smile:

Vespucci is smiling