In the cutting off you nose despite your face category

Australians should not be allowed in the US.

1 Like

I think all of the state sanctioned gambling has gone too far.

Was OK with a few scratch offs and a single state mega lottery.

Now PA is a gambling kingpin.

Uh huh. On what legal grounds?

We’ll have to pass a law.

How does it pass constitutional muster?

They’re foreigners, if we keep them out, the Constitution doesn’t apply to them.

After all the trouble Trump had banning foreigners from terrorist supporting countries, barely getting it by the SCOTUS, I’m not seeing a legal pathway to this.

Trump was racist. We have Jbiden now.

Living here I’d like to see the math on it before I decide if it’s good or bad decision.

For example, how much money typically leaves the state due to powerball vs how much comes into the state due to it.

If say: 10million a year typically get spent on powerball, but only 1 million in winnings enters, then canceling it will be a net positive to the economy. Canceling it will still be a negative on collected taxes.

The article points out that PowerBall generates a positive net revenue of $28 million year with $14 million of that going into funding public schools.

WW

1 Like

That’s not exactly what I’m asking.

I’m asking how much do residents spend on powerball tickets that then leaves our economy vs how much enters our economy.

Basically. If I remember correctly most Powerball purchasers come from the people who have the least money. How much money is leaving the poor economy vs how much winnings is entering it.

Yes I agree that it’s a benefit to the tax revenue the state collects.

That much money going to public schools and its turning out students who eat tide pods. Seems like a waste of money

By essentially taxing the poor.

3 Likes

The majority of people who play, can’t afford to and the money they’ve played with comes at the expense of those depending on it. It’s almost like there are many drug addicts so the government sells them drugs to make money but at their personal expense.

2 Likes

Ours also goes to veterans.

So what? If they can’t afford to play, they should stop. It’s not mandatory.

Sin tax.

Just like alcohol and cigarettes.

Are we gonna stop selling those too.

Allan

People don’t need to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes either.

Poor people buy those too.

Let’s bring prohibition back, it worked out so well the first time around.

Allan

Let’s see. "We’re going to set up a program whereby you can donate $10 at a time to help the education system and vets.

And as a carrot, we’re going to offer you a slim chance to win $1M or more."

Orrrr

“We can just raise your taxes to help education and vets and you can do without the slim chance.”

Lottery is an ask. We should encourage asking instead of telling.

2 Likes

Sin taxes are all asks.

Allan