In new interview, Trump says talks on wall are a 'waste of time'

Trump was interviewed today by two reporters from the New York Times (what, not Fox?) and had a number of interesting quotes.

Some excerpts quoted in the article.

“I think Nancy Pelosi is hurting our country very badly by doing what’s she doing and, ultimately, I think I’ve set the table very nicely,” Mr. Trump said. While he would not directly say that he plans to declare a national emergency to build the wall, he added: “I’ve set the table. I’ve set the stage for doing what I’m going to do.”

“I’ve actually always gotten along with her, but now I don’t think I will any more,” Mr. Trump said. “I think she’s doing a tremendous disservice to the country. If she doesn’t approve the wall, the rest of it’s just a waste of money and time and energy because it’s desperately needed.

Mr. Trump said he never spoke with Roger J. Stone Jr., his longtime associate who was indicted last week, about WikiLeaks and the stolen Democratic emails it posted during the 2016 election, nor did he direct anyone to do so.

“No, I didn’t. I never did,” he said of speaking with Mr. Stone on the subject. Did he ever direct anyone to get in touch with Mr. Stone about WikiLeaks? “Never did,” he repeated.

“I’ve always liked — I like Roger, he’s a character,” Mr. Trump said, insisting that the F.B.I. agents charging “a house like they did at six o’clock in the morning. I think that was a very sad thing for this country.”

“I love this job,” he said. And he said he did not think he would face a challenger for the Republican presidential nomination, even though several candidates are mulling a race. “I don’t see it,” he said. “I have great support in the party.”

The Times has posted some of the audio from the interview.

And he is right because the Democrats have no intention of working with this President or working for the benefit of the country! It will be a total waste of time for Republicans to try to work with the “resist & impeach” Democrats.

Remember how much the republicans “worked with” Obama?

Yeah me neither.

10 Likes

He isnt wrong for perhaps the first time ever. They are a waste of time because Pelosi isnt backing down from no funds for the wall. So now there are two choices.

#1 The GOP works with the Democrats and put forth a veto proof funding bill without wall funds and the government remains open.

#2 They dont and the government goes back into shutdown, because i can pretty much guarantee Pelosi isnt going to budge, and in the end the numbers will come in bad for Trump again just like last time with only his stubborn base sticking with him so about 35%.

He cant win this issue and he should know this by now. He got blamed for the first shutdown, he does it again it will be even worse. If I were a betting man I think the GOP isnt willing to take another shot in the arm over this, the optics are terrible, they will cross the isle, my own personal opinion.

I think you’re right. The risk to the Republican brand is severe. I think the Senate will have to come up with something.

Mitch is going to be pressured to bring “something” to a vote.

Or

#3 Trump does the National Emergency and funds the wall that way.

Goid luck with that.

Cool beans.

All I was doing was adding to the list of things that COULD happen – your opinion notwithstanding. There aren’t only two options. In fact, I’ll bet there are more than 3. I just added one more to the list.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t Trump call a national emergency to fund the wall? it’s his style and thanks to his own rhetoric there’s nothing else he can do,

I think a lot of the stuff he said in that interview was his usual reality TV act. He knows everything he says gets played up in the media and he craves the attention. Will he declare a national emergency? I’ll be surprised if he does.

Tied up in courts for years, by which time a dem candidate wins the white house and makes a moot point. That isnt an option 3 that’s a pipe dream at best.

Can you imagine how bad it would look if he tried that, injunction at the federal court level and refused cert by the scotus. Wont even come to that.

So let’s see…

He is admitting the wall is a waste of time
He is bad for the nation
And stone told him

1 Like

Sounds familiar…brings back memories of 2008 - 2016. You people really act like those years didn’t happen. You know we see you, right?

1 Like

The rs blocked Merrill garland.

Need I say more…

Allan

Yep, I was just going to post that myself.

However McConnell and the Senate GOP (to a large part) would hate that option. If Trump does declare that the DEMs taking the House (oops I mean DEMs refusing to fund the big beautiful wall) is a National Emergency, then under Section 202 of the National Emergency Act of 1976 Congress can terminate the declaration.

The DEM House will pass such a resolution in a hot minute and the Senate is required to vote on it within certain time frames. The chamber receiving the bill from the other chamber can refer it to committee which must report within 15 calendar days and that chamber must vote on it within 3 days.

The JR can be passed or defeated with the yea’s and ney’s, but if their is objection on the floor, then it must go to a recorded vote. McConnell does not want GOP senators on the line with a recorded vote going into the 2020 Senate elections which is not a Senate class as favorable to the GOP as the 2018 mid-terms were.

There is no way Trump gets his wall built in a month and that’s not even including the court challenges and stays. So money he “thinks” he’ll get for the wall will be ripped out from under his feet.

Remember McConnell’s dereliction of duty saying the people should get a vote regarding Garland? Well the people voted a DEM majority in the House to prevent Trumps “Mission Accomplished” wall. Which of course is very different than improving border security.

Now both sides should back away and analyse the situation and make real progress to improve border security and immigration control, which may include some new sections of wall (where it makes sense) and upgrades to existing walls. But such a study should also address points of entry, visa overstays, coastal security and the use of more efficient technology and manning in open desert.

.^^^^

3 Likes

Hey. Remember 2016-2018? Where was Lyin’ Don’s great negotiating and amazing leadership when he had the majority?

It is amazing how it took so little time for Lyin’ Don to attach his remora sycophants onto a new boogey man.

He said it and it is accurate.

However it is not Trump who is being recalcitrant and against border security.

By 2020 it will be Trump for security, D against security.

LARGEST seizure of poison intended for US addicts.

The crisis is real. The need is immediate.

:children_crossing:

Yes. It wasat a port of entry. We keep saying that is where drugs go through. It was in a semi- truck, not on some immigrants’ back. It was found by Border Patrol and a canine. This was a success, not a failure, don’t know why some on the right think this proves their point.

1 Like

I sincerely hope Trump declares a national emergency - especially since I have some popcorn retailers in my stock portfolio.

Folks are not against increase border security. People are against the WALL.
This was a standard border entry checkpoint in which we had the technology to stop these guys from getting drugs in the country. Technology, not a wall. We have the tech, we have the personnel…we just need more of it to continue successful stops and captures such as this. NOT A WALL.

1 Like