In My Opinion we're in the middle of modern day book burning

There are memorials to the German Soldiers lost during both WWI and WWII all over Germany.

You can honor the fallen, even the great generals without honoring the cause of Nazism.

You can try and reject it all you want but the facts are plain.

We went more than a hundred years without these statues being even a blip on the political radar in this country.

The NAACP started trying to make an issue of them starting in the 90’s, it never gained any traction.

Even during two terms of Obama’s presidency they remained not in the top hundred things anyone cares about in this country.

Shortly after Trump was elected they suddenly became an issue for democrats to seize upon which still gained little or not traction until suddenly in the last month it has become front and center as a major issue dividing the country.

2 Likes

The timing is curious.

The timing on what? The statutes being raised? The news story I posted shows that most were erected around 35 years after the war by people pushing the Lost Cause myth. Others were raised in the Civil Rights era. In those cases, I’d say that the timing is “curious” in the sense that claims that the statues weren’t about black American intimidation don’t seem credible.

If you’re talking about the timing of the renewed interest in taking them down, I disagree. I don’t think it’s curious to want to remove statues glorifying white supremacy after several high profile moments of racial tension.

The case needs to be made for each monument.

Sure. i can agree to that. There are probably some Confederate generals or soldiers or statement who were, all things considered, far more moderate in their views and complex. An issue, however, is that this greatly leaves open the possibility that other statues depict men (or women? I dunno if there are any Confederate women statutes) of abhorrent views.

Please point out where I stated you didn’t.

My mistake. Since you’re directly responding to me and not making reference to other people, I assumed you were talking about me.

I was referring to the mobs attacking defenseless statues…like children playing with toys.

I disagree with vandalism. It only serves to make these statutes and the men they represent more of martyrs than they deserve to be. I’d prefer they were all taken down with full public and official support.

Emphasis mine. We’ve already established this is false, you then went to great pains to claim you hadn’t said this yet you are repeating it again.

Talk about trying to rewrite history.

There are memorials to the German Soldiers lost during both WWI and WWII all over Germany.

I will quote my exact words:

Removing statues =/= “purging” history. Germany has outlawed Nazi iconography, yet they are very well aware of their history.

I will also note that your search query is clearly visible at the top. You used Yahoo Image Search, and typed in “Memorial to lost German soldiers” or “Memorial to lost German soldiers WWII”. I know, because I used the exact same search engine and search keywords. and here.

Also, because I can see your image search, I can tell you that those are memorials to lost soldiers, which don’t contain Nazi iconography. The first one in the middle row isn’t depicting Nazis, but Soviet soldiers.

You can honor the fallen, even the great generals without honoring the cause of Nazism.

As I said before, Germany has no Nazi iconography.

Why There Are No Nazi Statues in Germany

Does Germany Have Statues Of Hitler? Nazis Are Not Remembered Like Confederate Generals

There Are No Nostalgic Nazi Memorials

We went more than a hundred years without these statues being even a blip on the political radar in this country.

Except over the objections of some of the very people depicted in them, and letters to newspapers from the Grand Army of the Republic.

The rest of your argument is based on an unfounded premise - that these statues were harmless until turned into divisive tools by Democrats.

And you remain wrong. I entered the search terms for the web then went to the images so I could show them to you.

The insignia of the units including SS Units is on the uniforms featured in the statues and on the memorials.

That is by definition iconography.

This was the first official flag of The Confederate States of Amercia.

Your "leaders’ fueling the outrage machine need to learn some history but they are too busy rewriting and attempting to eliminate the actual history.

You folks have decided to make the Battle Flag , one of many actually, the official flag of The Confederacy which it never was and and thus the symbol of slavery to support the misrepresentation that it was all about slavery.

The statues and monuments honor the men who served honorably, not the cause of slavery or the confederacy as a whole.

If you come across any specifically honoring Slavery by all means post them here so we can discuss them.

1 Like

Emphasis mine. We’ve already established this is false, you then went to great pains to claim you hadn’t said this yet you are repeating it again.

Ok, so I’ll have to quote this for you.

Here is my original comment.

There are some pretty major differences between burning Harry Potter because someone thinks it promotes witchcraft or Satanism and taking down statutes that suspiciously went up because of the Lost Cause myth and during the Civil Rights era.

Note how nowhere in there do I make any claim about when most of the statues went up, simply that they did during two moments in U.S. history. During the Daughter’s push for the Lost Cause 35 after the Civil War and then during the Civil Rights.

Here is my second comment on this.

The timing on what? The statutes being raised? The news story I posted shows that most were erected around 35 years after the war by people pushing the Lost Cause myth. Others were raised in the Civil Rights era. In those cases, I’d say that the timing is “curious” in the sense that claims that the statues weren’t about black American intimidation don’t seem credible.

Here, on the other hand, I do point out that, according to the news story, most of the statutes came up 35 years after the Civil War. By people promoting the Lost Cause myth…

…which I said in my first comment.

Also, you accidentally quoted your entire comment under that.

Learn some history already.

There is no accident I included the entire context intentionally.

The fact is this isn’t about targeting statues that went up during the civil rights era as you have now repeated several times which we know to be false.

Here, on the other hand, I do point out that, according to the news story, most of the statutes came up 35 years after the Civil War. By people promoting the Lost Cause myth…

The graphic from one of your own links shows this to be utterly false.

Less than 10% of them went up after 1945.

Why do you keep repeating something you obviously now know to be false.

1 Like

If only we had the we had access to infinite knowledge with a device we keep in our pocket.

2 Likes

And you remain wrong. I entered the search terms for the web then went to the images so I could show them to you.

… that’s what I said. Your search uses Yahoo Images. We can tell this because your tab has the Y! right next to it and says “Memories to lost German soldiers”. The screencap of your screen also shows the Yahoo Image search URL and search query.

The insignia of the units including SS Units is on the uniforms featured in the statues and on the memorials.

Which statues? Please, point them out. Your image search includes photographs, a sculpture of Soviet soldiers, the War Memorial at Stafford (which doesn’t include Nazi symbolim).according to Strafgesetzbuch section 86a.

By that logic we should just eliminate all of the original art ever produced along with all statues, memorials, and museums.

Just five years the entire world was outraged when ISIS was destroying historical sites, statues, museums etc and demanded we use all force necessary to stop them.

And you remain wrong.

I’ve provided several links to them, here is another.

http://thirdreichruins.com/memorials.htm

The phrase book burning means to suppress or censor information.

what information is being suppressed.

2 Likes

The “intellectuals “…the smart guys on our college campuses…are the ones behind this horse ■■■■■

1 Like

If you want to took about an attack on American historical culture, or South Culture that is fine but that isn’t a book burning.

1 Like

I… can’t tell if you’re being serious or not.

Less than 10% of them went up after 1945.

You would be right if I said that most went up after the Civil Rights era. I didn’t. I’ve consistently said that most went up 35 years after the Civil War. Which is what the graph and the news article both say.

1 Like

Speaking of a lack of education.

Try reading your own links.

" § 86a outlaws “use of symbols of unconstitutional organizations” outside the contexts of “art or science, research or teaching”.

By definition statues and memorial are art and they are used for teaching.

Other than symbology of the DDR and Swastica the law hasn’t been used to outlaw much of anything other than specific Communist and Nazi organizations and literature.

It literally means the burning of books and destruction of historical objects.

Please note how none of those statues features Nazi iconography… which is what I’ve said. Which is what German law says..

I have been quite specific when responding to you. If you are thinking of a particular image, please link it directly.

Yes to enforce censorship.

who is being censored by the government by removing Confederate statues.

3 Likes