Impeachment Hearing Thursday 11/21/2019

.^
11/21/2019 Edition:

I think it would behoove the board to have a single easily found place to discuss today’s public testimony in the House of Representatives on the historical happenings today. Only 3-times in the 240+ year history of this country have Presidents been subject to an impeachment actions.

1. I request that posters stay on the topic of the hears and resist the attempt to deflect.
  2. I request that posters stay respectful toward each others position whether it be in support of President Trump or against President Trump.

9:00 AM
Dr. Fiona Hill, Former Senior Director for Europe and Russia, National Security Council
Mr. David Holmes, Political Counselor, U.S Embassy – Kiev, Ukraine
.WW (In the vain of respectfulness I will refrain from using my normal sig.)

.^
While we wait for opening gavel this morning.

One thing I’ve found interesting is a lack of substantial discussion as part of the proceedings into obstruction charges, which I think will be part of the final Articles of Impeachment. The United States Constitution squarely places authority to conduct impeachment with the House of Representatives and trial for that impeachment with the Senate.

Yet here we have the President of the United States ordering individuals and departments under his jurisdiction to obstruct the proceedings by not appearing and by refusing to turn over documents even though lawful subpoenas have been issued.

I call for President Trump to comply with the Constitution and lift the order so that those with direct information relevant to the proceedings can testify (yes this means Rudy, Pompeo, Bolton, and Mulvaney).

Be the most transparent Presidency like you promised.
.WW

1 Like

Putting aside testimony, the emails, cables, memos, etc. will provide either side the most irrefutable evidence. If the administration is as innocent as they claim, why would they not willingly turn over these documents?

Yeah, I would too if I was you.

1 Like

Not going to happen.
All of this will be tied up in court.
And it sets a precedent going forward. Don’t wanna testify, even under subpoena, just go to court.

Any thoughts on why the administration is obstructing congress by not providing the documents?

Articles of Impeachment based on obstruction for withholding evidence are not review-able by a court.

Criminal charges against individuals for not complying with a lawful subpoena go to court. House Articles of Impeachment concerning Donald J. Trump, President of the United States - are not.
.WW

Its about creating a circus-like atmosphere.
Spew AM radio talking points, muddy the waters.
I wish Schiff would open each day’s testimony with a reminder that Mulvaney, Perry, Pompeo, Bolton have all ignored subpoenas, have ignored requests to turn over documents, have has the President tell them not to testify. If this administration is truly is transparent, then these witnesses would testify to exonerate the President.
And all for what? President Trump. Again, it shows that these individuals have put Trump over country.

Do you mean like being able to question the “whistle blower”…that started this whole thing and is the 6th Amendment to the Constitution?

Yes…

I have no problems with the whistleblower testifying - I’d prefer a closed door session. But this has also gone way beyond the whistleblower as his/her complaint has been confirmed both by the ICIG and in testimony before congress.

So in reality (s)he isn’t needed. Nunes and Jordan just want to make more of a circus.

But remember the whistleblower CAN be called to testify. The GOP in the Senate simply has to subpoena him/her during the trial phase.
.WW

That was obama. $37 million.

Trump is the most transparent President ever. Twitter. He thinks it, he tweets it.

2 Likes

What do you think the whistle blower will provide at this point? The 6th amendment comes into play during the prosecution, you know, the senate trial…

Why?

Presumptions. Personal presumptions.

I agree with your statements.
I was commenting on the fact that these subpoenas are going to be contested in court via lawsuits. And we know Trump is not going to order these individuals to testify.

And to be honest, Senate isn’t going to do a damn thing about the charges. Obstruction, bribery, whatever articles the House draws up.

My opinion. I think public testimony by the individual would place his/her life in jeopardy from rabid Trump supporters. (Disclaimer: “rabid Trump supporters” in no way implies any honored quest here or the vast majority of those that support President Trump, it refers ONLY to what may be a very small number of individuals who have mental issues.)

Feel free to disagree.
.WW

What does interviewing the whistleblower accomplish?
Nothing, their complaint has been corroborated by other individuals.
Its a stupid ploy to nail the whistleblower as a “never Trumper with an agenda”.

It’s now Kyiv.

Allan

Today’s hearing has started.