Illinois manufacturer moving to Mexico over Trump tariffs

The company in question is not in Chicago Illinois, so the Federal minimum wage there is currently $8.25 an hour. They are not governed by the City of Chicago’s minimum wage rule.

So starting new employees at $10.75 an hour is starting them at $2.50 an hour over minimum wage with raises up to $11.25 n hour after only 60 days.

Sounds to me that the company is willing to pay its employees.

Fat Donald just requested foreign workers through the department of labor, for his Marred-A-Lago resort in Florida.

Now I must admit the server positions will pay $12.68 an hour. But that doesn’t seem all that much when one considers these workers will have to pay for their travel to get here, of course pay to have a place to live and eat and such. But there is no indication there are any real benefits other than possible overtime, which is not guaranteed.

Maybe hypocrite Fat Donald could hire AMERICANS FOR THESE STOLEN AMERICAN JOBS if he too decided he wanted to pay.

Fat Donald takes their tips as well. There’s an 18% service charge which Marred-A-Lago gets to keep.

1 Like

Is that so?

Importing cheap foreign labor and he gets to grift off their labors to boot!

What a great American…MAGA :us:

The point I’m trying to make is you cannot compete with Chinese made goods here in the states…you just can’t.

I do have to commend Stack On for trying thou. It worked OK for em when labor pool was larger but in tight labor market as we are seeing today. Not going to happen unless they change their business model.

Not expert in this field, just my opinion knowing tools and equipment.

I agree 100% which is why we should stop trying and figure out how to prosper a different way.

Too bad that isn’t the policy of this government.

Seems like a hasty decision. Have the tariffs even gone into effect yet? What if they either don’t go into effect our are rescinded in a short time? Will they then return production to the US? Our are they just using tariffs as a cover excuse to get cheap labor south of the border?

The tariffs went into effect in March. How long do you expect them to lose money before doing something about it?

Hasty decision? Possibly, but the tariffs are already in effect.

Has anyone checked into this manufacturing company to see how it handles its material supplies?

I mean if it is like many manufacturing companies these days they don’t keep large stockpiles of material on hand so any tariff price fluctuations would be almost immediately felt in their bottom lines.

Haven’t checked with this one of course, but in my industry these purchases are through options/contracts for a certain time period. If the price goes up, the supplier loses on the contract, but if the price goes down the supplier wins. Companies can get hosed on this if there is an unexpected price change beyond the built-in tolerances.

1 Like

Thanks!

10 freaking characters

I thought it was July 6 when they started. I think the retaliatory tariffs from China start next quarter.

That’s similiar with building materials when bidding jobs The prices are good for certain amount of time.

1 Like

Moving a manufacturing operation across an international border is a long term investment and a process that takes a significant amount of time.

Say, you don’t think paying cheaper wages could be the real reason for the move, do you?

Until the Mexicans build their wall, anyway…

You mean the guy that campaigned on the opposite of everything Obama did?

Nope. March 23rd they went into effect.

It does take some time and effort to move manufacturing which is why there isn’t a moment to lose. How long do you expect them to lose money before they do something about it?

I hope it’s a good business decision and that he profits from it? It’s too bad though and I know what he’s going through. I hold all of the prior administrations that have done NOTHING to protect our economy, our workforce or our borders and that have placed us in this predicament.