Illegals-They aren't all "Good Hard Working People just trying to better their lives

I heard some rather crazy sounding numbers about the percentage of illegals who are detained and the percentage of them with criminal records yesterday so I did some investigating.

The numbers are indeed pretty staggering and far above the 10-20% I would have expected.

Taken directly from ICE in 2013

• ICE conducted a total of 368,644 removals.

• ICE conducted 133,551 removals of individuals apprehended in the interior of the U.S.
    — 82 percent of all interior removals had been previously convicted of a crime.

• ICE conducted 235,093 removals of individuals apprehended along our borders while attempting to unlawfully enter the U.S.

• 59 percent of all ICE removals, a total of 216,810, had been previously convicted of a crime.
    — ICE apprehended and removed 110,115 criminals removed from the interior of the U.S.
    — ICE removed 106,695 criminals apprehended at the border while attempting to unlawfully enter the U.S.

• 98 percent of all ICE FY 2013 removals, a total of 360,313, met one or more of ICE’s stated civil immigration enforcement priorities.

• Of the 151,834 removals of individuals without a criminal conviction, 84 percent, or 128,398, were apprehended at the border while attempting to unlawfully enter the U.S. and 95 percent fell within one of ICE’s stated immigration enforcement priorities.

From Politifact in 2015

According to CIS, there were more than 925,000 immigrants who had been ordered removed but were still in the country as of July 2015. And an estimated 20 percent of them had at least one criminal conviction — nearly all of whom were at large.

From 2017.

ICE: Yes, 75 Percent Of Illegal Immigrants We Arrested Have Criminal Records

I had absolutely no idea the numbers were actually this bad.

Fact check. Illegal immigrants arent all violent thugs and/or animals.

Yah, we get that. In other news the Sun is up over the entire USA.

You get your straw man. I get mine.

Illegals aren’t all good people trying for a better life.
Yeah, we know.

I agree, this is problem. But it is misleading to paint all illegal immigrants with the same broad brush.

I don’t doubt that 75% of illegal immigrants arrested have a criminal record but what percentage of illegal immigrants get arrested? And what are their crimes?

I’m not doing so.

We have no real idea of how many illegals are even in the country so what percentage are arrested is a completely unknowable number.

According to trump, it’s 30 million.

75 percent had criminal from a sample or 700 in a series of raids. It’s a basically worthless statistic to apply to the general population.

Repeated studies have shown that immigrants legal and illegal commit crimes at lower rates than citizens.

Since ICE priortizes illegal immigrants with criminal records, it should come as no surprise.

The GAO says illegal aliens are a serious and costly problem…especially when considering violent crimes.

Trying to mask the stats of the illegals with the stats of the legal immigrants?

That’s so proggy deceptive of you.

1 Like

Not at all. You read into my statement more than was written (a habit of yours).

I did not say that you have to combine them as groups. If you analyze them separately, both groups commit crimes at lower rates than citizens.

Oh. You are referring to reported and solved crime. My mistake.

GAO estimates that costs to incarcerate
criminal aliens in federal prisons and
SCAAP reimbursements to states and loca
lities ranged from about $1.5 billion
to $1.6 billion annually from fiscal y
ears 2005 through 2009

The majority of those illegals imprisoned are from Mexico. What this is saying is that if “we” build a wall, in around 15 years, Mexico will have paid for it in full just like the President said and it will be from the savings of incarceration of illegals. So…can we all agree to build the wall?

Two questions.
One, If the actual numbers of illegals is not known how can the study be accurate?
Two, why are these studies including legal immigrants?

Technically 100% of illegal immigrants are criminals.

Do you have a better method?

The population of illegal immigrants can be estimated to a good degeee of accuracy.

These studies include legal and illegal populations, analyzed separately.

Technically, sure. But I’m talking about crime that actually affects people.

Subtract out all the money that illegals contribute to the economy and government first.

You may need to readjust your estimation upwards.

Perhaps. but it tells me that ICE is targeting the right people.

sure. let’s use incarcerated illegal aliens to do it. there’s a poetic justice there I find appealing.

1 Like