I'll admit it, I really thought all the widespread voter fraud stuff was just nonsense

Hmmm… Wonder if you are equally as upset with Texas violating the Motor Act…

It’s 2018 and Texas STILL does not have online registration…

I don’t know that the word “upset” accurately describes my concern? I simply want the best safeguards in place to secure the integrity of our voting system from fraud.

What possible reason could Texas have for not allowing online voter registration?

You wrote:

Now, when a person in California get’s a driver’s license, are they “registered to vote” ? Yes, or no.

Or, is the truth that they can choose to APPLY to register to vote?

What you said is absolutely not accurate, and now you know it, again.

Yeah…they have to “attest”…so there is that big obstacle blocking their way.

So, is what you wrote accurate? No, it’s not. Are people “registered to vote” automatically by virtue of getting a driver’s license? No, they’re not.

What is “blocking their way” is the normal voter registration process. Nothing different whatsoever, it’s simply an option to apply, and have the application filled out, still requiring the normal process, docs, and subject to normal verification.

So, in the future, if you write: “People in California are registered to vote when they get a driver’s license!” or similar, you’ll be doing what? That’s right, you’ll be lying.

How do you think people register to vote in the rest of the US? Do you think they bring in their birth certificate or something? Everyone “attests” on their registration application. Most states are smart enough, like California, to have state records to corroborate the attestations…

Ok…in the future I’ll write…if you “attest that you meet all of the registration requirements”…you’re automatically registered to vote when you apply for a license. There…is that better?

I provide documentation that proves I am a legal resident.

BS… I’ve registered to vote in several states over my lifetime and have NEVER been asked to provide documentation for voter registration other than my drivers license number… If a state can’t verify your eligibility based on their electronic records, you would likely have to provide additional documentation, otherwise, they do all the verifying electronically…

No, still not accurate. Did you miss the part that all that’s happening is initiating the normal application for voter registration? That the license application or granting has nothing to do with whether a person is ultimately registered?

.>

What I find missing in the discusssion is the fact that California actually issues two types of Drivers Licenses: Real ID compliant and non-Real ID compliant.

(As noted previously, DMV does not register you to vote, they electronically transmit a request for voter registration which still must be checked prior to the person actually getting registered.)

REAL ID Compliant:
“Provide proof of identity, such as a certified U.S. birth certificate, valid U.S. passport, employment authorization document, permanent resident card or foreign passport with an approved form I-94.”

This means that someone does have to show proof of their legal status and provide relevant data, this data can then checked by the voter registration people to determine if someone is legal to register to vote. Since illegal aliens wouldn’t have the proper documentation or proof of legal status, this seems reasonable.

non-REAL ID Compliant:
People applying for a drivers license that is not Real ID compliant can’t apply to register to vote through DMV, they are actually issued a different type of license which is clearly marked as “Federal Limits Apply” meaning that proof of citizenship or legal status WAS NOT provided during the application process.

.>>>>

That’s what was required for me too…a drivers license and then went to a roll and checked my name off.

Is that how you think it works?

.>

Another item to discuss is that the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 (NVRA) which requires that states offer voter registration through DMV. (Law is applicalbe to 44 states and DC.)

.>>>>

You do realize non-citizens can have drivers licenses in every state… How did they know you were eligible to vote?

I live in Mayberry where everybody knows everybody. Also the small area still has a number of precincts that divide it up into even smaller areas. Since I had just recently had moved there, they didn’t know me but they were familiar with my residence and checked me off of the list. I don’t think it’s a perfect system and would rather have a federally issued voter ID.

I can assure you, they checked more than your drivers license to determine your eligibility… Legal residents can have drivers licenses, residences, etc. and are still not eligible to vote… I would fully support a federal voter id and provisions for verifying the identity of the person at polls if they don’t have their federal id (provisional ballot, etc.). Would solve a lot of problems and curtail the games states are playing with voter registration to try to gain political advantage. I mentioned Texas earlier and online voting… Despite being required by federal law, Texas has resisted voter registration during online drivers license renewal or update. Texas’s “solution” is to allow you to fill out the form online and then print the form and mail it to your county registrar. This is clearly an attempt to make it difficult for people who move often to register to vote in the appropriate precinct. Now who moves more often… hmmmm… younger people maybe?

Then we find ourselves united in desiring the total integrity of our voting system. I also agree with you that I don’t like any attempt to artificially sway an election by making it difficult for some or by gerrymandering. I want total integrity…and thanks.

Just to be clear…

Are you suggesting that people shouldn’t be required to register in the jurisdiction in which they are a legal resident, even if that requires re-registering in the new jurisdiction?

(BTW - I don’t have a problem with STRONG initial registration requirements to prove eligibility and then a simpler “transfer” process for people that move frequently. I also think there needs to be a strong tie-in so that when a person registers in another jurisdiction their original registration is canceled and that tie-in’s should exist with public records so that when a death certificate is issued the voter registration is canceled.)

.>>>>