If I owned a musket

Yes, when I play Age of Empires, I chop just enough wood and mine just enough gold to create fellows who wander around the map doing that to enemy villagers.

When I play Minecraft, I chop just enough wood and mine just enough iron to create a kick butt castle. After that I just wander around the map looking for villages to slaughter.

1 Like

Now that I think about it, just about every game I own requires me to chop wood and mine metals, or else run around the map collecting things like a celebrityā€™s toady, before I can actually have fun.

But I do recall saying that I want to become a coal miner.

Maybe creating coal miners and lumberjacks is the point of these games.

Before the killing starts, the villagers have never done anything wrong. They are just hard at work. I am literally destroying their work ethic as I blow them to smithereens. Sure, they are pixels on a screen, but that should bother me.

They wear different colored clothing than my villagers, so it feels okay.

I have quite a few games like that. I think youā€™re supposed to find resource management fun in order to enjoy those games. I wouldnā€™t say thatā€™s the majority of the games I own though. Iā€™m kind of between games right now. I finished Omen Exitio: Plague a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed that one.

Well, Iā€™m exaggerating.

I will check your game out. I recently bought XCOM 2, Dragonā€™s Dogma: Dark Arisen, and a stressful game called Thumper. Of those, only the dragon game forces me to run around doing work for NPCs. Right now, I have to find a book somewhere, collect five flowers at night at the base of a tree that I canā€™t find, and give some bad news to guy named Meryn who is really good at hiding.

I thought the point of the game would be to fight dragons, but Iā€™m sure that these tasks are training me mysteriously well.

Whoa. A Lovecraftian Choose Your Own Adventure game? Is that what itā€™s really like?

I saw that XCOM 2 was on sale. 20 bucks. I donā€™t know anything about the series, so it really didnā€™t peak my attention. 20 bucks though, thatā€™s not bad. I hadnā€™t heard of the other two. Maybe they werenā€™t featured on steam, or perhaps not available for my OS. Yep. By default I have Windows games not shown. Some work through Steam Play, but I typically avoid them.

Oh yeah. That describes it to a T. Iā€™m not sure how much the story would have changed if I had chosen different choices, but it felt very much like my choices matters, and that the points I put into my character helped my story become my own.

My post talking about games has been flagged for approval.

You said a naughty word.

I did! The director of Strangers on a Train and Vertigo has an offensive name. His name was part of a mystery series that I liked reading as a kid.

I tried typing his name again and it was completely censored.

Alfred Hitchcock

Censored. Yes.

But not requiring moderator approval.

Anyway, in a nutshell, XCOM is a turn-based strategy game. The best of that genre that I ever played was called Faster Than Light. It has a frustrating learning curve, but lots of replay value.

I never got any good at Faster Than Light. I have 7 hours played.

I gave up on FTL about a half-dozen times before I started really liking it.

Iā€™m not particularly good at it. I am embarrassed to say how many hours I have played it.

Buslims and Patinos.

We shall never speak about how many hours iā€™ve put into Civ 5.

Muslim latinos is triggering mod approval? wth.

Do what I did. Just write the two words and hit send. You can always delete the post afterwards if you want.

Muslims and Latinos.