If I owned a musket

Don’t forget the M13 link for M60 belts. :wink:

Yeah … those would be a pain to clean by hand or with your tooth brush.

Edit … still not quite the you’re in deep doo doo now this job is though:

A crossbow is arguably more accurate than a muzzle loader and faster to reload.

Having hunted with both, I would argue with that characterization.

Because of aerodynamic drag crossbow bolts run out of energy very rapidly. I would not shoot anything bigger than a turkey out beyond 50 yards. Also my scope only has dots set for 20, 35, and 50 yards. Without a rangefinder, a crossbow is pretty useless outside 25 yards.

If purely talking smoothbores, muskets can still fire rifled projectiles like the ones fired in smoothbore shotguns used for deerhunting. This significantly extends their accurate range well beyond 50 yards.

Modern, rifled barrel muzzleloaders are highly accurate well beyond 100 yards. If I wanted to know how far one can push that accuracy, I would ask WR.

You probably know more than me on this subject, I had read before posting that the newer muzzle loaders are pushing close to 200 yards of accuracy, crazy :slight_smile: Is it true though that on average most people can reload a crossbow quicker than a muzzle loader?

Thanks

Quicker crossbow reload, yes. I would say about 2:1 or 3:1.
That is for someone strong enough to directly draw the string with a cocking string by hand.

If they have to use a windlass, it might even the odds for the muzzleloader.

With a great deal of practice, one can load a muzzle loader in about 20 seconds. It probably varies a lot with a crossbow depending on the power and design of the weapon, and of course, the strength of the operator.

I’ll be at a football game today. Taking my musket in case a crazy fan pulls an AK on me.

2 Likes

Meh.

I always wanted family atomics, like they had in Dune.

If the muskrat’s eyes are beady, then they intend to do you harm.

A muskrat’s eyes are always beady.

Eighty-five percent of my life lessons have come from Sylvester and Bugs.

Sixty-three percent of my life’s mistakes have come from Wile E.

They had a lot to teach about muskets.

Sounds racist.

I hope you don’t mind the mild editing I did.

1 Like

How many fingers do you have?

I would rig them all to fire at once with strings and paperclips.

Well, because I’m a howling racist, how could I?

But I’m working on it.

1 Like

So you could fire 100 muskets with one hand and be eating a bacon and tomato sandwich with the other–and below, the shrieks of wounded zombies, or mailmen.

I grew tomatoes this summer for the first time ever. Best thing ever, besides the shrieks of wounded zombies, or mailmen.

1 Like

My inlaws grow tomatoes every year. They come in with green ones that they call zebras. The taste is incredible. They’ve got all sorts of funhouse types that I’ve never seen anywhere.

I believe my father-in-law also owns a musket. I think that’s the weapon that I’ve passed 1,000 times but never really looked at.

I’ll have to ask him if he has a muskrat problem.

20 seconds of terror in the wars of the early 19th century, though.