If I owned a musket

I don’t think that’s against the rules, and I think I know where he is.

Check the latest G&A cover for the latest True Velocity polymer cases.

As to Ceramic, that was a blind prediction by me. I am still fascinated with Materials Science, and I read a lot about basic breakthroughs. From my first brush with jet aircraft blades, and since the first Boker ceramic blades, I have been watching the advances in mixed metal/ceramic manufacturing approaches. I figure it is only a matter of time until someone figures out how to employ ceramics as a rifle barrel. The advantages are obvious, hardness, wear, manufacturing…

It would actually be easier to create a smart arrow or crossbow bolt.

:thinking:

I wish I had a better brain for physics and chemistry. I have a cousin that a decade ago (a pioneer in the field) held something over 120 patents in his name for materials he’d developed working on stealth and missile technology.

It’s an utterly fascinating field but admittedly while I can grasp the basics the more advanced possibilities are just far beyond anything in my wheelhouse.

I’m with you though, MS is the future probably even more than IT because without those advances computers and communications will be severely limited due to the available materials.

One we left off that already exists though are the small rocket powered projectiles. They have some great utility short term, especially for delivering small, pinpoint accurate explosives and chemicals at insane velocities from smoothbore barrels but very limited utility beyond that from a firearms standpoint.

I believe that DARPA already did some work on the latter there.

We were already working with some of them in the late 80’s, 90’s with shotgun projectiles. Small explosive charges and chemicals.

I can’t imagine how much further it’s gone since.

The biggest stubling block to future handheld weapons is the fact that what we’re using is so effective and more importantly cost effective for all but the most exotic things we can imagine.

Bullets that are completely untraceable and completely disintegrate on impact were science fiction just a few decades ago and I can make them right here at home now. That’s scary.

Thought about cleaning Whammy Kablammy today. It’s usually good to kept a strong maintenance schedule with one’s muskets.

1 Like

Can you use modern cleaning items to clean it, or is the specialized tools that would have been used during that period?

Planter or funnel.

6tzcHH

2 Likes

I only use material from that period. I don’t know any musket owner who would degrade her musket by using anything produced before 1820.

1 Like

Now I need to find the poem that I wrote to Whammy back in 1996.

1 Like

. . . It might be a while. I don’t know what box it’s in.

1 Like

Please add that to my poetry thread. I love the crossover appeal.

2 Likes

A thread full of musket poems and dog poems might get a little cartoony, which can’t be bad.

Beer helps me find things. Off to the store.

3 Likes

Go get them tiger

1 Like

Wrong crossbow bolts don’t have brains.

1 Like

The best part about muskets is that we can ban all types of assault rifle ammo since musket balls are a different caliber.

1 Like

Whammy with Donuts

My best companion, it’s true, first and last,
Upon my search of lands, a-near, afar,
Is Whammy–Blam!–Kablammy, smoke and blast!
Our love policemen’s tickets cannot mar.

At Krispy Kreme, the music fills my car,
A donut shop beside a vacant field,
My musket waits, its color black as tar.
My pal, my pet, my crutch, and yes, my shield.

My Whammy likes to shoot until they yield,
Who hide all night in Scooter Fartham’s barn,
It’s true, my lifetime long I choose to yield
My musket, turning critters into yarn.

Kablammy rules my town! And without fail,
Someday police will send us off to jail.

2 Likes