If Government has the power to tax "wealth" of 50 million at X% then theoretically

The tax in question would be a “direct tax”, and direct taxes require apportionment, i.e., if a wealth tax were imposed by Congress to raise a $ BILLION, each state’s share would be determined by the following formula:

States’ population

---------------------------- X SUM TO BE RAISED = STATE’S FAIR SHARE

Total U.S. Population

Additionally, our founders intended if any direct taxes were laid, the States would be left to raise their share of the tax in their own chosen way.

An example showing this legislative intent can be found in several of our Constitution’s ratification documents, such as the Ratification of the Constitution by the State of New Hampshire:

Fourthly That Congress do not lay direct Taxes but when the money arising from Impost, Excise and their other resources are insufficient for the Publick Exigencies; nor then, untill Congress shall have first made a Requisition upon the States, to Assess, Levy, & pay their respective proportions, of such requisitions agreeably to the Census fixed in the said Constitution in such way & manner as the Legislature of the State shall think best and in such Case if any State shall neglect, then Congress may Assess & Levy such States proportion together with the Interest thereon at the rate of six per Cent per Annum from …….

For an example of this apportioned tax see an Act laying a direct tax for $3 million in which the rule of apportionment is applied and each state is notified of its share to be paid.

And then see Section 7 of the direct tax of 1813 allowing states to pay their respective quotas and be entitled to certain deductions in meeting their payment on time.

JWK

“The proportion of taxes are fixed by the number of inhabitants, and not regulated by the extent of the territory, or fertility of soil”3 Elliot’s, 243,“Each state will know, from its population, its proportion of any general tax” 3 Elliot’s, 244 ___ Mr. George Nicholas, during the ratification debates of our Constitution.

Partially true. bumpstocks are not firearms though. and this conservative at least, doesn’t support it.

Pretty good.

And no matter what word play you use trump still used an executive order to confiscate property that was deemed legal until he decided it wasn’t and confiscated Americans property with no compensation.

Precedent:

The initial income tax started out as a meager 1% on most incomes and a whopping 7% on the ultra rich.

Over time, using the power they created for themselves when the opened the income tax Pandora’s Box, we have what we do today.

Likewise check out the growth in the whole Social Security cluster. (Including the initial assurances that our SS numbers would never be used as ID numbers.)

Nope not hard at all a bump stock is not a firearm, period.

I don’t appreciate your insinuation. If you have some disagreement with what I posted, quote that which you disagree with, and state your objection.

JWK

Our Founders intended ordinary citizens to keep and bear arms [a contemporary fire arm used by foot soldiers] so they would be ready and able to defend themselves against a despotic government if necessary. The AR-15-semi is a civilian version of the United States military’s M16 and ought to be kept by ordinary citizens to defend against a tyrannical government.

The government can pretty much tax anything at will. The only thing that could be done to any tax passed would be AFTER the fact. People would pay the tax until it was challenged in court, all the way to the SCOTUS. The tax may be ruled unconstitutional, but don’t hold your breath waiting for any refund due to taxes you already paid. If Warren or Biden get elected, expect wealth taxes to kick in on anyone with a job…

Didn’t happen.

If (more likely when) we ever get to the point where the impoverished class significantly outnumbers the middle class it’s not hard to imagine a wealth tax applying to anyone with a wealth of just 1 million dollars. All we could hope for is that those in the ruling class will be exempt.:clap:

I think if this made it to the Courts the banning would survive because they would instantly see that stocks are not guns (let alone machine guns) and, therefore, are not protected by the 2nd Amendment. However, they most likely would also say the taking without due process or compensation was illegal under the 5th Amendment.

Sorry, but it does not matter one iota what terminology they used in the regulation banning the bump stocks, they are still not guns by any valid definition. (If you actually understood what you were reading you would see that they are calling semi-auto guns with bump stocks attached machine guns, no the stock itself. They merely classified the stocks with machine guns (as is also the case with suppressors) to effect the ban.) You are wrong, Trump did not ban or confiscate any guns. Just admit it and move on.

Yeah, people like you don’t pay your fair share.

I agree. In fact, that is what I said. The confiscation violates the 5th Amendment.

Yes I do.

What’s that? Minus 10%?

200.00 what? Percent?

200.00$ is what I paid.

My thoughts exactly.

1 Like