Idlib Offensive and General Syria Thread

you didn’t even try to answer. What was Donald Trump’s last statement on Syria?

You still don’t have a clue what goes on behind closed doors. No one can possibly know, despite your claim to have that kind of knowledge.

Beyond that, I simply don’t care. I don’t lay awake at night hanging on Trump’s every utterance in public.

why the ■■■■ are you even here? I ask you a direct question, relevant to the thread, and you don’t even try.

The thread title looked promising so I decided to take a look. The first few paragraphs also looked promising. And then the OP had to go and ruin it with their Trump bashing.

I called the OP on it and you persisted in trying to get me to participate in the bashing of Trump. You can’t seriously expect me to do that.

I didn’t make the thread. Can you even attempt to add substance?

I’ve corrected my oversight. In regard to participating any further, I have no interest in participating in a Trump bashing thread.

I’m moving on

Nice quick edit there. But okay. We were talking about Syria for a while. You jumped back in with “so what” hours after the start of the thread. Is there anything about the Idlib situation you’d like to add/ask?

really makes one wonder why you’d even come in. Didn’t even try. Nothing to add. SAD.

I concur the setup is fraught with peril. However, I trust the people Trump has surrounded himself with will do what’s best for our interests in the region.

Okay. Thanks.

You guys ready for this Assad victory? Turkey is next.

Huh?
10char

So you think he’s pretending to be an idiot in public in some eleventy-dimensional game?

Those public things are a window into the private.

We will have no influence on the outcome.

Yep. Northwest Syria is a Turkey-Russia-Syria decision. Too bad. We used to have some influence. Our only play is what we can coax out of Turkey to do for us, and our president actively trying to destroy the economy of our NATO ally isn’t helpful.

The same exact words we’re hearing about Trump were said about Ronald Reagan – "he’s too stupid, ignorant, etc. to understand situation X. " The hope is that Trump will listen to his military advisers and generals regarding US presence in Syria. Many of the people who support Trump are skeptical of our military role there. Trump has mentioned withdrawing troops and perhaps that’s best. I don’t pretend to fully understand the current situation in Syria but I am troubled about putting US solders at risk by trying to pick winners among the factions, and the dangers of committing to a particular outcome.

The problem with listening to military advisors and having no civilian oversight is that there’s no overarching diplomatic strategy, so even though we increased our bombings, and have 2,000 troops indefinitely stationed in the country, we have no influence in Idlib, meaning we can’t lean on the former al-Nusra, we aren’t supplying anyone of consequence, we can’t force Russia and Iran to stand down, but we will have a large scale humanitarian crisis on our hands when they go in.

1 Like

Well put. And it seems like just listening to the generals is why we have no role in Idlib. Dealing with the Northwest Syrian rebels was all CIA cause they were allowed to arm and train guys to fight Assad. Pentagon couldn’t. Not to mention CIA was there long before the US military. Pentagon forays into Aleppo under train and equip were awful. That conflict between the two organizations seems like it may have played a role in the CIA-TOW groups getting cut off by Trump. Just a total focus on SDF and Tanf. And al-Tanf is just the last remnants of the New Syrian Army that was another disaster. Oh well.

Again, he proves it himself daily. I think you may be more like like him than I realized though! :rofl:

Just let crap like that drop into the abyss. It deters from real discussion and that’s all they want.