I just don't get this about the USA response to the Ukraine situation:

Ok.

In what way could he mean the pipeline is ‘ours’?

Where is it, or was it, to be located? Not Russia.

3 Likes

And who was it going to be delivering oil to?

1 Like

How is a canadian owned pipeline that ships canadian oil to a port of export to china and other global markets, in any way ‘ours’?

Most of the oil transported by the keystone pipeline is processed in LA then exported globally.

So, delivered by the pipeline to LA in the USA

…to be shipped all over the world.

The pipeline is owned by a canadian corp and goverment. The oil is canadian. The gas that is exported is canadian.

It is not our pipeline.

So, there was no requirement for them to sell any to the US?

You mean Nord Stream 2 that is now dead? The one that was never used?

No.

However, it is an exageration on my part to say it all gets sold abroad. I actually think historically, I think about 25-33% is sold to american corps.

And you do realize the XL pipeline wouldn’t increase capacity, right? It would just save the candaian government/corp who owns the existing pipeline money by taking a shortcut.

You can say this over and over and over again but it will not sink in.

Gulf refineries, and then to China.

It doesn’t have to be.

And Canada says they could replace a significant part of banned Russian oil.

that would require increasing production.
something Alberta has slowly been trying to do.

it would require America to set limit on exports.
but till then the market will sell it to the highest bidder which is China.

It goes (or would have gone) to the Gulf refineries. There it is refined to be used domestically or sent overseas. Chief overseas benefactors would be Europe…exactly where it is needed now to help those countries survive the cut off of oil from Russia.
The economic benefit to both the US and Canada should be obvious.

China gets huge amounts of oil from Russia and the Middle East, not the US. Likely it will be getting even more of its oil from Russia, and on the cheap.

• We have no say in who they sell their product to.

• Great - then it will happen. The XL portion of the pipeline just transports the oil faster. The Keystone pipeline as well as tanker trucks are already transporting oil to the facilities in LA. All the XL portion would do is replace the trucks and do it cheaper.

and of course only 8% of the pipeline is done. It wouldn’t be completed until 2030.

oil is already flowing the the Gulf via the Keystone pipeline.

All XL would do is make it cheaper for the canadian company to ship the canadian oil.

So more oil cheaper to produce to be sent over North America and Europe, just at the critical time it is needed.