"I Have A Dream!" Martin Luther King Jr

Once again, you aren’t a victim but for some reason you just can’t let go of the idea that you must be simply because you are black.

That isn’t a societal issue, it’s a personal issue.

Ahh so you are in the “racism doesn’t exist” camp. Wish you would have been more transparent earlier. Could have saved me a lot of typing.

3 Likes

Drum Major Instinct

Were you being intentionally ironic give the topic of this thread? If so, magnificently well done.

You mean like this?

For years now, the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King and his associates have been deliberately undermining the foundations of internal order in this country. With their rabble-rousing demagoguery, they have been cracking the ‘cake of custom’ that holds us together. With their doctrine of ‘civil disobedience’ they have been teaching hundreds of thousands of Negroes . . . that it is perfectly all right to break the law and defy constituted authority if you are a Negro-with-a-grievance . . . And they have done more than talk. They have on occasion after occasion, in almost every part of the country, called out their mobs on the streets, promoted ‘school strikes’ sit-ins, lie-ins, in explicit violation of the law and in explicit violation of the public authority . . .

Link

3 Likes

Personally, I think that Dr. King would be ashamed of what protesting/activism/ what Democrats have become.

Well, that part is true. And God bless them for it.

Well, at least you said it was a personal belief.

Protesting and being activist is kinda what he was about, so I’m gonna guess you’re wrong.

At least you didn’t try to claim he would be a Republican today, so good on you for that.

“You deplore the demonstrations taking place in Birmingham. But your statement, I am sorry to say, fails to express a similar concern for the conditions that brought about the demonstrations.”

1 Like

You need to read the Letter from a Birmingham Jail then.

https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles_Gen/Letter_Birmingham.html

another excerpt:

You may well ask: “Why direct action? Why sit ins, marches and so forth? Isn’t negotiation a better path?” You are quite right in calling for negotiation.

Indeed, this is the very purpose of direct action.

Nonviolent direct action seeks to create such a crisis and foster such a tension that a community which has constantly refused to negotiate is forced to confront the issue.

It seeks so to dramatize the issue that it can no longer be ignored.

My citing the creation of tension as part of the work of the nonviolent resister may sound rather shocking.

But I must confess that I am not afraid of the word “tension.”

I have earnestly opposed violent tension, but there is a type of constructive, nonviolent tension which is necessary for growth.

Just as Socrates felt that it was necessary to create a tension in the mind so that individuals could rise from the bondage of myths and half truths to the unfettered realm of creative analysis and objective appraisal, so must we see the need for nonviolent gadflies to create the kind of tension in society that will help men rise from the dark depths of prejudice and racism to the majestic heights of understanding and brotherhood.

The purpose of our direct action program is to create a situation so crisis packed that it will inevitably open the door to negotiation.

I therefore concur with you in your call for negotiation. Too long has our beloved Southland been bogged down in a tragic effort to live in monologue rather than dialogue.

_

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers.

First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate.

I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.”

Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

They would despise King if he were alive today.

Considering he dedicated his life to civil, non violent protest for social change I’d say Aces is absolutely right on.

His major protest weapon was simple civil disobedience with sit ins arm/hand locked marches chanting and signing hymns etc and he vehemently opposed the methods being employed today.

That was the stark difference between he, MalcomX, the BP’s etc.

His was a loving message and protest and was led by his faith in God, not one of incivility, vulgarity, threats, intimidation, rioting etc.

1 Like

Baseless partisan drivel.

What is it exactly you are attempting to convey here?

Did you notice the word “nonviolent” in his writings? Your Antifa buddies are not nonviolent.

Mobs!!! I love it.

You do know that the National Review -the periodical that published that article that begins “For years now, the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King…” - was and continues to be no fan of Donald Trump… don’t you? Not even sure why you would post it.

With armed people in the woods just out of sight.

He protested peacefully, and condoned only peaceful protests. Unlike
the current harassment of what the current activists do.

Originality and Authenticity are a good thing.