Hunting Season TNG

I am hoping to get one of the kids to take a deer early, so that I can hunt more old-school with a self-bow.

Some opportunity this weekend. We shall see.

Wednesday morning I’m leaving for Pelee Island to go pheasant hunting. Pelee is the southern most inhabited spot in all of Canada. I’ll meet brothers and friends there who will come from all over. This will be our 20th year. My bird dog is about to turn 3 and should be very mature this year. I’m really looking forward to this. It’ll be over two weekends and we’ll leave the island in between to go duck hunting in Saginaw, Michigan on Lake Huron. Bam…it’s good to be me.

I am the only remaining hunter in my extended, and mostly disconnected family.

You are quite the lucky man. Enjoy, and your 3yr old dog should be coming into his/her prime. That should be a joy, but they are not perfect until they are 5.

The other day I wasn’t hunting, but a deer stepped out in the yard before the sun crested the ridge. I drew and locked on her with the compound, I aimed so that both the 20 and 35 yard pins would score lethal hits. She only ran about 40 yards into the woods. For once I eyeball ranged it perfectly, double lung and heart hit.

This is the part that you will like. I took the new family designer-hypoallergenic pup out to track down the kill. She sniffed the arrow and licked it. Except for 9 month old puppy lack of attention, she had no trouble following the blood trail right to the deer. If she takes to tracking wounded deer, she is going to become my best buddy!

This was one of those lucky watershed moments in dog training that you simply can’t stage.

What breed is your new family, hypo-allergenic dog? I have always loved dogs since I was very, very young and today…nothing has changed.

You’re right about the next few years. I expect him to continue improving till he peaks at 5. I’ve been very fortunate and blessed with my dogs I’ve had. If you remember, a year and a half ago, I lost my dog of many years and it was very painful. Then I considered that the pain is the result of how much I loved that dog. I then contemplated which is worse, to have never loved and then never felt the pain or…felt the many years of love and companionship along with a much shorter time of pain? The answer is…I have a new dog and…we are going pheasant hunting.

My compliments on the excellent shot.

It’s a downsized 'doodle, but the web feet are the give-away that this thing comes from retriever waterdogs on both sides of the family.

I figure that with retriever instincts, this thing should be an awesome blood tracker.

If the Democrats win the mid-term elections and retake the either the house or the Senate,
they’ll try and destroy or put restrictions on peoples 2nd Amendment gun rights.

Wrong forum PocketA.

We have ample space in Politics for that.

This is a place to rest from that and talk about our traditions, excursions, and results going afield.

Been seeing an increasing number of dead deer on the road lately. All the hints are there.

My first time afield today in several weeks. Busy work season.

It was like a deer disco party out there! The rut has hit here with a vengeance, seems a little early.

Missed an 8pt tonight. It was a long shot and I misjudged the distance. Hope I see him again.

Another month till hunting season here in Pennsylvania. Pretty much already prepped for that.

My daughter took down a 10 point buck (about 140 to 150 pounds) during archery season. And she has a wild turkey during the PA fall hunt. Also some assorted small game such as quail.

Going to be an eventful next year for me. Just finalized the architectural plans for my new house, stand alone garage/workshop and utility barn. Construction will start in April. I will be self contracting, though I will have a construction company doing the primary work and recommending other contractors for the specialty work (electric, plumbing, etc), though I will actually directly hire those contractors and will directly supervise their work. I will have to work out of our Charlotte and Statesville, North Carolina offices for a few months so I can remain close to the site. Thankfully, due to the nature of my position, I don’t have to be physically in a certain location, just on the net. :smile:

And my sister and her husband are purchasing a place on the Virginia side not too awfully far, less than 20 miles, from me, near the Hillsville area. It will be a “summer haven” from Florida, they plan on occupying it from May through October, spending November through April in Florida. Neither of them hunt.

Consider branching out into other weapons. PA has a nice Archery season, a short Muzzleloader, and kind of a crazy late “Flintlock” season.

Congrats to your Daughter!!!

Relatives with rural property sounds like more hunting opportunity! :grin:

I have hunted during the archery season, but haven’t the last few years. I do still participate in the muzzle loader season from time to time.

The nice thing is that my sister and myself will be around at the opposite time of year. She will be coming up from Florida during the summer, while I will be coming down from Pennsylvania during the winter. Their property is just over 5 acres and well located for hunting, so I will likely hunt it at some point down the road. They got a good place for a decent price. Recent construction, I believe 2015. Was occupied by a newly retired couple in their 60’s, he died suddenly and she decided to move back closer to her children. She had it priced reasonably, which is not always the case in that area.

As we move into the Rut, and various firearms (Muzzleloader, Flintlock, rifle…) seasons, I always stumble for a moment on trust in my optics. Scopes drive me nuts.

The most frustrating thing is that old scopes tend to hold thier zero until you drop the damned rifle out of a tree or some such. Modern optics seem to get off target every season for one reason or another.

I have an old Remington from the mid 60’s with a Weaver K4 that has been adjusted exactly one time (two clicks up, one left) since I shot my first centerfire bullet from it when I was 7 years old.

Anyone know any scope secrets (brands, rings, …) that are rock solid and lasting?

I got back last night from the Pelee Island pheasant hunt. Good company, great dogs, excellent accommodations and a target rich environment all summed up another great year.

Thank you Lord for your many, many blessings.

Welcome back to hunting season.

Next up, squirrels.

Weather is moderating, perhaps tomorrow.

Shooting 12 arrow flights out of the speed bow. Bodes well for early season.

In the final phases of construction in North Carolina. My daughter will be coming down here for Archery season in October. I told her to bring a sleeping bag and some towels because it will be a while before the bulk of the furnishings arrive.

1 Like