How to properly post a picture

@Snow96 @GWH @Talk2Bill

There have been several posts deleted that contained an uploaded photograph over the past few months. The software on this new forum is great, in that it even allows a technological idiot like me upload photographs. Something I never was ever able to figure out on the old software/forum.

I understand there are standards and rules for posting pictures, so maybe this thread can serve as a Community knowledge point for the appropriate way to post a picture to the forum, in threads.

Could you guys please post an example of a post that has a photograph, with the necessary links, summarizations, copyright support, etc., so we can have a perfect example of how our posts should look, to adhere to the TOS and of course the legal requirements.

Thanks gents!!

Here’s a picture of a caveman to illustrate how easy this is.

4 Likes

Ok, that was freaking funny. :rofl:
Didn’t know you had it in ya.

1 Like

Okay one more time.

If your going to post a picture

It needs to have sufficient commentary to know what and who the picture is about, (and usually how it relates to the thread)

Unless it is a public domain picture (like the famous advertising above), it needs to be properly attributed to where it came from and idealy who took the picture.

If it’s NOT a public domain picture, it has to fall under the “fair use” rules that have been laid down by the courts over the years (and that keeps getting tighter and tighter).

This is NOT a news site and doesn’t fall under any regulations for pictures posted by news outlets.

Clear as mud?

No, it’s not clear. That’s why I was hoping for an example. @GWH gave an example, but then you gave reasons why it wouldn’t work for any picture outside of a relatively small sample size of options. So can you post an example that satisfies the rules of the forum’s additional requirements, for when it doesn’t meet the nationally recognized example that was given?

Man I’m scratching my head too.

But the jobs aren’t quite what the current administration want them to be.

I can’t.

It’s not a black and white line. Exampe a screen shot from a facebook account. Is the picture copywrite and grated use for that site? Is the picture actually in the public domain . . . when in doubt it gets deleted.

there were other pictures with no indication of where they came from at all. So gain, was the place the picture was from granted use?

See what I mean? The pictures in the thread you are talking about either had no link or attribution as to where they came from, who was in the picture, when and where it was taken or anything. Plus the commentary was limited to things like “suprise suprise” Nothing else other than a picture.

Now that’s the way to do it. Pictre and a link to where it was from. That looks like a stock picture that the New Yorker probably paid $$ for. Use of that picture without the link to the article violates most stock picture copyright.

1 Like

I’m not sure if that’s a stock photo or not, but when in doubt… I visited the Newyorker site, grabbed a picture, gave a very brief synopsis of the photo and posted the link. This would not meet the requirements necessary to start a thread, but would be sufficient, I think, to pass any fair use requirements.

Yes, that would be a fair use way of doing it. As I said, did the New Yorker pay for use of the pic? Did they pay a photographer for it to be in their exclusive stock photo cataloge?

Who knows. Just putting a pic up without anything linking to where it came from or other information can lead to problems.

I scared the crap out of some people at a convention type thing. Was walking around and I saw something out of the corner of my eye. Went over, sat there and watched the slide show they were presenting and yup, there it was, one of my pictures from my web site.

They started to give me their pitch on what the booth was about and I handed them one of my photography business cards and said, you know you should ask permission before pulling pictures from web sites. I though the guy was going to crap his pants.

I appreciate the interaction here guys. Is it possible to post an end-all be-all requirement? Like if a picture comes from Facebook (I don’t have this so I don’t know if this will make sense) do we link the direct link from FB, post the picture, and then give a summation? And that would be sufficient?

So a hyperlink to the source of the photo where it was obtained, the photo itself, and then a summary?

I may be getting outside of my limited technical knowledge here. But either way, I appreciate the feedback.

That is the absolute best way of doing it. You’ve seen how the system puts links in. Even if like the facebook page in question gets turned to nobody can see anything, deactivated or whatever – it’s still known exactally where the pic came from. No question, and typically that will be fair use.

Thanks snow. I “think” I understand. I’m sure others here will get it more than myself though. Yes, I’m an idiot about technology. But I’m a self realized man. :slight_smile:

Can we posts memes? Seems like some stay up and some dont

If I can add, the posting of lengthy excerpts of stories is definitely copyright infringement. That should be limited and I don’t know that it is. (I remember Lee Kington used to do that.) I believe this website, while not news, can be held liable. (Not here, but I’ve had copyrighted material removed from other entertainment sites. And in the reverse, I’ve had to remove copyrighted material from websites as well.)

I disagree slightly. Having posted copyrighted pics in the past elsewhere, the only thing the copyright holder cares about is the photographer’s credit (not the origin, since freelance photos aren’t the property of the paper). That’s not to say, @Snow96, that you can’t require a summary for whatever reason you want. But legally, the credit is what the photographer cares about. Same with bylines from stories. Writers care about their credits. Believe me. I know that all too well. :slight_smile:

Interesting, though, how copyrighted pics are allowed to be shared on FB all the time. The internet makes things quite murky.

Depends on the photographer, depends on why they took the pic, depends on if they are trying to make money off the picture or are trying to make money off it.

That being said when you just randomly post a pic (no real link to where it came from or who took it) how is it determined what the photographers intent is?

Photography and bylines are VERY VERY different. Trust me. I’m a photographer who sells pictures. I’ve sent e-mails asking for some to be taken down before. The guy in the booth that I gave my card to. I told him when I cam back the next day my picture should be out of his slide show (the particual picture I had up for sale at a certain price).

The summery is required of links . . . you know that. Posting up a picture is the same thing – needs a summery (links to articles that’s provided by the system now) and it also needs commentary.

And if the picture is my own picture? Not a link. Just upload my own JPG. Does that require supporting text and attribution, etc?

Just say it’s yours.

Not a good idea to take credit for another’s pictures GW.

That goes into intellectual theft catagory, and possibly opens up the individual to legal action, and gets the owner of this board involved with legal stuff (you know, finding the ip of the person involved, then finding the provider of the IP, the provider then having to give the subscribers name . . . )

Not good advice at all.