How to deal with mixed family

Well, I’m an atheist and it doesn’t offend me.

Good for you.

Way to ruin the generalizations! Now how am I supposed to enjoy the warm fuzzy of my bias confirmation blankie?

My apology for leaving out the word some in my statement, I mistakenly thought any rational person would see it is implied and that it was unlikely in the extreme that meant every single atheist on the planet gets upset when someone suggests they are going to hell. My apologies for any lasting synaptic damage that may have caused anyone.

Oh does saying someone is going to Narnia imply that they’re a bad human who deserves eternal damnation?

This discussion is awesome. Given what the books are. The original example is great. The follow up are even better lol

Who is Aslan supposed to be again and how religious was Lewis? :blush:

Actually someone going to Narnia implies that they are an awesome human.

Sorry @Forcefield. i am not calling you out just find Narnia of all things as an example pretty freaking funny

What eternal damnation? How does this bother someone who doesn’t believe there is an eternal afterlife?

Thank you for your kind and sincere reply.

We shall rebuild.

People often get offended when judged for their beliefs. Being told that one is going to hell has a different connotation than being told one is going to Narnia, independent of both being fictional realms. Being told that you are inherently a bad person and deserve hell fire versus you are a good person and deserve a peaceful afterlife.

I think you are better off without them for now. Sooner or later they will be broke from being over spending liberals, and will come crawling back to you when you cash out of the biggliest economy ever.

2 Likes

Here is an idea. When you are in their presence, their home or yours, hang a men only or women only sign on the bathroom door. The stages of liberal grief will soon appear. First they will be offended. Then they will be angry. Shortly after they will self reflect are they truly a man or woman.

Keep your Bill of Rights close.

I think what atheists, and I hope other people, are offended at, is people who go to vulnerable people - people who’ve just lost a loved one, and tell them that loved one is sizzling in hell because he wasn’t converted.

Atheists don’t care, but folks who are religious but just don’t go to church, that kind of insensitive crap is the last thing they need.

It doesn’t bother those who don’t believe in an eternal afterlife.

But what makes you think those evangelicals just go after atheists? They go after Christians too - the ones who aren’t of the “right” denomination.

And it’s those people that are hurt,perhaps to the core, when some self-righteous jerk tells them there loved one is going to hell.

I just don’t discuss politics with them and reassure that they are still my friend/family and I will always be there for them, no matter what our views are.

I see it as a gesture of immaturity to let politics ruin relationships. Now if they start personally attacking me, like stating that I am not a compassionate person, then yeah, I’ll break any ties. It’s important to note that all people, excluding politicians, want the best for the country on some level. However, the vision of what is best is different, and priorities are different. I mean, we all live here so even if it is for underlying selfish reasons, it would still mean the best for the country as a secondary affect.

Omg stop being so simple and obtuse. Anyway doesn’t offend me.

Haha nah. I was just making the point that telling someone they’re going to hell implies all kinds of potentially offensive things. Even if you don’t believe in hell. Which you shouldn’t, because it isn’t real. :wink:

But there are not two sides. I stand for right. They stand for evil.

I’m not going to say I don’t miss my parents or my wife or my children. But I also can’t reward them for bad behavior.

1 Like