How the Pandemic Defeated America

Yeah, I wanted to point that out. America is failing BADLY. Not even CLOSE.

That is what the article was alluding to. There was no nuance in the communication, which made their apparent about-face seem like a failure on their part.

1 Like

No “nuance” was required. It was a failure.

That is the way it is designed to function. The locals have a better finger on the pulse than the State; the State has a better finger on the pulse than the Fed.

The State can ask for help from the Fed; locals can request help from the State based upon needs.

Individuals have to take personal responsibility as well. All stores where I live are now requiring masks even though it it not a State or local requirement. Who would have thought people can think outside of government mandates.

Why people have to look to government to provide them with common sense is beyond me.

You did the math. :+1:

People used to graduate from high school with a better education than people are getting in college today.

1 Like

And that doesn’t even get into the long term unknown effect of the virus. Hear issues, nervous system issues, strokes, pulmonary issues that longer month and month after “surviving”

All the math makes us look bad.

Why don’t we just do a half-math job of it?

Fair enough. As the article clearly indicates it was far from the only one. And make no mistake that several of these failures began well before Trump and will continue long after he is gone.

Exactly. There will be people dealing with COVID complications for the remainder of their lives. This is a particularly nasty virus. And if major changes don’t occur in the United States, then we will find ourselves overly susceptible to future pandemics that could make this one pale in comparison.

Well that’s not true at all.

2 Likes

As I clearly pointed out at the link.

Based on what and what needs to change?

It’s subjective, but yeah, it is. Depending on what one studies.

Agree.

Tighter border control and domestic production of PPE are at the top of the list.

Trump has it covered.

:mega:

1 Like

Yes it depends on what one studies.

That doesn’t explain why we can’t do great things anymore, or nationally coordinate anything.

That’s more of an attitude change that tells us these things can’t be done, and making sure the people are in place who won’t do it.

Uh…no

I think the attitude change is “the government will do it” or “I’m owed” and I think your last phrase favors my thinking.

There is nothing that “the people in place” or their replacements" can do that they aren’t already doing and haven’t been doing since it started. No matter who it is.

We, the public, did not do our part. We’re still not. And blaming “the people in place” is a shirking of our responsibility. Abbott never said “Party on!”

We made the decisions, we have to suffer the consequences.

And college students have to do the same.

Based on current results. The entire approach to handling pandemics in the United States. As the article pointed out, this is a starter virus by comparison to some other, much more deadly viruses that could savage our country.

I’m good with both of those suggestions. We diverge on our faith in Trump though.

1 Like