How much would Republicans love Trump now if he'd lost the election?

It’s funny what winning an election will do. During the 2016 campaign, there were R’s who were tepid in their support for Trump like Colin Powell, Jon Huntsman, Jeff Flake, Carly Fiorina, Jason Chaffetz, Ben Sasse and numerous others (all mentioned this NBC story) who called for him to drop out or they changed from deciding to vote for him before the election.

But some of those named above who said they wouldn’t support him or were lukewarm sure changed their minds after the election. But I’m wondering how much love Trump would have now if the election had reversed itself and Hillary had won by the landslide people had predicted.

What do you think? I suspect the fickle finger of elections would have been wagging and he’d have been just another loser. I think winning the election did everything to boost his love within his party and they would have all but abandoned him otherwise.

Some people treat politicians like their sports team…

2 Likes

Powell supported Obama in 2008 and 2012 as well. I haven’t heard any kind words about Trump from him.

Jeff Flake is talking about running against Trump in 2020.

There is hardly a stampede of Trump support from the never-Trumpers. The main difference with Trump’s victory is that they are on the outside looking in, rather than running the Republican Party. The fact that they may work with Trump from time to time is more a result of pragmatism.

Trump would have retreated to Trump Tower, continued retweeting revised Russian history, and closed the Moscow deal.

What the heck? If Trump hadn’t had the ability to win the election, he wouldn’t be interesting at all.

2 Likes

Yep…the love for Trump then, would be equal to the love for Hillary right now…which explains your new avatar.

Losing the election would have been great for Trump. He could have proceeded with his plans to have TrumpTV - and he would have been able to use the “rigged / stolen election” line to make it a successful enterprise. True, Brietbart and other outlets would have had some more competition, so certain elements may not really liked Trump for it.

Precisely. It’s so weird how that works. I can’t explain it.

That could change quickly should the investigations make Trump a liability, you think?

That and make a reality of Trump TV, which is the way I thought things were going to go.

You used “quickly” and “investigations” in the same sentence? :rofl:

Not sure if you meant that sarcastically or what, but I think it’s pretty true. Of course, he would have found a way to keep himself in the spotlight being the egotistical maniac he is.

Sorry, you lost me there.

And I don’t think TrumpTV is completely forgotten.

1 Like

I guess what I meant was the revelations of the investigations, especially if they hit with huge impact at any one time, could force some to re-evaluate their feelings.

Jeff flake isnt running against him…

Yup. He just joined the MSM.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/427411-jeff-flake-will-not-run-for-president-signs-on-as-cbs-contributor

A MSM kind of Republican, for sure.

Why? Because he tried to maintain a level of decorum and grace for the public office he holds and we all would want in our leaders? Because he abhorred what is being done to the highest office in all of the land? Because he did not march in complete lockstep with the takeover of the GOP by Trump? I thought Republicans were proud of the fact they allow for dissent within the ranks of the party. Is that not actually the case?

…because he tried to block qualified judicial nominees if he didn’t get his way on an unnecessary bill protecting Mueller from being fired…which wasn’t going to happen.
Because he gave the Democrats extra time to smear Kavanaugh.
Because he hates Trump.
That qualifies him for the MSM.

Notice I’m not saying he can’t still be a Republican. He’s just a MSM type of Republican…one that, say, they would hire in order to show they hire Republicans.