How might religion work as a separate branch of government?

Or, it seems, for any branch most of the time.

So why expand the size of govt then? You usually seem adamantly against the idea.

People are ok with big government as long as it benefits themselves

Grin. I am not advocating we do this. I am just interested in seeing if it could work–even in theory. The Founding Fathers had the right idea whereby people of faith in the other three branches would make sure secular law was sound and good. However, they could have not seen in their time just how huge, powerful, and wealthy the government would grow. Could a fourth branch (inclusion) rather than separation have mitigated this somewhat? Doubtful, but then I’m an optimist.

You just read the bible and see it is not going to be any better no matter how much you charge the government .

Theres nothing inherent about religion that makes it better when it comes to politics and the reality of governance. This is backed by history and is precisely why the founders wanted a separation

Not so. It may be slow, but people can learn and move upwards.

The thought of multi-millionaire preachers being in govt really skeezes me out. I hate the prosperity religion that is ascendant today. I don’t know how anyone can follow those charlatons.

1 Like

No they can’t. Man has been allowed to govern himself for thousands of years and it always ends the same way . Monarchies dictatorships democracies theocracies etc.

The one thing that does not change is man. You may get one leader who does a little good but all men are subject to the same temptations and weaknesses.

How would the branch of religion respond to this?

No need. The people can already speak for themselves through their elected representatives. If we want to keep that trend going we should be eliminating unelected bureaucracy, not adding a whole 'nother layer.

I am all for this!

We could have a 5th branch of only atheists to strike down anything the religious branch does

1 Like

Religious people have no more morals than the non religious when it comes to politics.

Look at all the people the Republican base had to choose from in the primary and they chose Trump. Even after more stuff has come out evangelicals are not asking for a new torch bearer for their party.

1 Like

$$$ > decency and humanity for the Christian right.

Well I would say I expect that from politicians. They’ll sell their own grandmothers for a wooden nickel if it’ll win them the next election. What’s disappointing is the People (as in We the) who keep voting for them even though they act against Christian values while proclaiming they’re devout Christians themselves. Hell, some will also proudly tell you Trump himself is a Christian. I’m not sure Trump follows any religion other than the church of Donald J. Trump. Just like every other politician who puts their own interests before the interests of those they’re supposed to be representing.

Boggles my mind how people feel like they can relate to silver spoon Trump. Must be something with the 50s and 60s and having a black president for 8 years. #1 birther got elected

Let’s be honest. They didn’t choose Donald Trump. The electors of the electoral college chose Donald Trump despite who We the People actually chose. Then like good little psychophants every single member of the Republican party slowly and surely fell in line. Even some of Trump’s most vocal opponents. Like Ted Cruz.

Keep in mind, some of these people voted for GW Bush, twice, despite him single handedly getting us into two wars and trashing the economy. It doesn’t seem so shocking or mysterious after realising that.

Well, 1 war in response to 9/11. Iraq war though was ■■■■■■