How many believe that salary should be based upon the number of children a person has? TOPIC: "Living Wage"

No. It works for military because military member often have no say in where they’re stationed. However if a private sector company transfers an employee to a high cost of living area, it should be considered.

The cost of raising a child today far outweighs any types of deductions one gets back on their taxes.

Welfare benefits are a whole different story. A friend of mine worked in Newark public schools for a couple of years and he had this student a 19 year old girl who was already on her third kid! Now that’s not the norm per se but it is not uncommon for girls in the inner city schools to get pregnant.

Yeah I have to admit it’s been very quiet from many of the left leaning contributors here on this topic.

Yeah, some of my fellow Liberals do often fail to satisfy their promotion of that whole “living wage” notion.

It is really all about the fictitious living wage. These kinds of low wage jobs are meant to be the first job for those just getting started; or for students between semesters; or for students looking to earn money to pay for their school supplies or their housing. With the minimum wage laws, many employers simply reduce the number of minimum wage employees - pricing these first timers out of the employment market.

What I find to be unfortunate is the number of people who park themselves in these low wage jobs expecting to be paid a living wage. They instead should be looking at these jobs as a stepping stone to something better, leaving these jobs to those who are looking for their first job.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, there are “entry level” jobs that want 5+ years previous experience in the industry. How is that entry level exactly? Or is that just an excuse? Well we don’t have to pay someone more based on their experience if we just call it an entry level position, right?

1 Like

I remember looking at the living wage in the county I live in NJ. It was relatively low for a single person. But when you reached 2 or 3 kids it spiked to over 30 dollars an hour. So factoring in kids is really not a realistic option.

That basically says what I stated that it largely depends on the number of children a person has. I know single people who can get by on $20,000 a year.

Today’s Democrat balks at the notion of individual responsibility, and hence don’t talk about it, whereas the conservative still holds this as a core value. The conservatives attitude is that a person should get their own life in order before bringing another life into the world. In other words, if you are living in poverty, work on getting your life together and be in a better situation than bringing a child into poverty with you.

Yeah, like this woman who’s pregnant with her 5th child and on food stamps?

“It pays $1,200 a month. The first biweekly check covers rent on her apartment, the second bills. She feeds her family out of tips and about $300 a month in food stamps (two-fifths of Clay County’s population rely on them). Hensley, who’s 30, is seven months pregnant and won’t get paid maternity leave, so she’s planning to take just four weeks off –- as she did with her previous five children. That took a toll on her health, she says, but “a month is a long time when you ain’t got nothing. You never get to sleep peaceful at night.’’

“Federal money rescued rural America after the Great Depression of the 1930s, as the government poured resources into job-creating investments. Today, Washington’s main presence in places like Clay County is the U.S. Department of Agriculture. It helps with everythingfrom building houses to providing medical services. Clay County got a $50,000 grant this year for an ambulance, an urgent need in a region blighted by opioid addiction.

The agency also helped bring wireless Internet to remote areas. That creates opportunities for people to “make good wages from their home,’’ said Anne Hazlett, the USDA’s assistant to the secretary for rural development.

‘Catastrophic’

But the Trump administration plans to cut USDA funding by 16 percent in fiscal 2019, and revamp the food stamps it distributes.

In Clay County, that’s Karrie Gay’s job, as supervisor of family support and social services. She sees some 40 clients a day, many complaining about frozen benefits. Her office is already down two people, and will only replace one because of a state hiring freeze.

Cuts to food stamps would be “catastrophic,’’ says Gay. “We have a lot of clients who have no income. That’s their only source of food.’’

“Clay County delivered an 87 percent vote for Trump in 2016, and this month helped send Republican Hal Rogers back to Congress for a 20th term with almost 80 percent of the county’s ballots.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-28/left-behind-by-trump-s-boom-the-rural-americans-who-elected-him

So she has five kids, is having a sixth, doesn’t make much money, and keeps popping them out?

She sounds completely irresponsible. But maybe that’s just me.

Got to agree with Mountain on this one. It’s hard for me to have sympathy for her when she ultimately put herself in that situtation.

I feel for the kids though. It wasn’t their choice.

But according to Eagle, only Democratic voters are irresponsible. Republicans are supposedly the party of “personal responsibility.”

Irony thy name is Trumpster.

The GOP and their ilk literally don’t take responsibility for anything. It’s not s core value. It’s not even a periphery value. It’s devoid of any basis in reality.

And leave it to the pro birth crowd to say women who get pregnant must have their baby, and simultaneously say too damn bad if she she struggles to afford caring for the baby.

If conservatives truly believe that a person should get their own life in order before bringing another life into the world, then they should be pro-abortion.

And I know some that are!

“Getting your life in order” would entail getting an education, graduating, getting a job and being a good employee and then looking for better opportunity. What does getting an abortion have to do with any of that?

No worries, GM and other manufacturing companies will be opening up a ■■■■ load of plants there very soon. Those tax cuts are going to make it rain all over the land… MAGA!

You don’t have to think about the question long before you realize the answer is yes.

So what’s the problem?

lol - ^ That’s a real question too highroller. :rofl: