How effective would e-verify actually be?

Often in the immigration debate those on the left bring up e-verify as being the best means of combating illegal immigration, but would that really be the case? Consider the following:

Alex Nowrasteh, an immigration policy analyst at the Cato Institute’s Center for Global Liberty and Prosperity, a libertarian think-tank in Washington, D.C., said the E-Verify system accepts passports, Social Security cards and other documents submitted by job applicants even if they are fraudulent — which is the way most undocumented immigrants secure employment.

Nowrasteh said “a large portion of employers still don’t use it for new hires” because they know that government audits of traditional paper forms are so few and far between.

Daniel Costa, director of immigration law and policy research for the Economic Policy Institute, a pro-labor think tank based in Washington, D.C., agreed with that assessment. He noted that even though audits of the I-9 forms soared during the Obama administration, an average of only 2,000 workplaces — including some enrolled in E-Verify — were audited annually during the eight years Barack Obama was president……

With such a low chance of being audited, Costa said, the whole job-authorization system is “a wink and a nod from the government to employers” that lets them continue to hire workers who are not in the U.S. lawfully.

The Cato Institute’s Nowrasteh argues that E-Verify exists simply because it allows politicians to claim the U.S. is being tough on immigration without actually having to be tough.

“Nobody wants to shut down businesses. That’s expensive politically and economically,” he said. “It’s much easier to have a system that doesn’t work (but which) sounds like a silver bullet.”

Here is another article as well:

https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/e-verify-does-little-halt-illegal-immigration

Now just because something is not 100% effective doesn’t mean it should not be used. What we really need is an “all the above approach” to dealing with this problem. End birthright citizenship and free education for those here illegally, and adopt immigration policies like those of Canada. That would also be effective as well.

If you would you know go after companies that hire illegal with more then minor fines it might be effective.

1 Like

Cant end birthright without an amendment. Good luck with that.

As for e-verify. I welcome any improvements to it and forced compliance to use it but every single employer.

could you image having a constitutional convention in this political climate?

abortion, gender equality, etc would all be pushed.

Many of the early problems have been addressed, but there is always room for improvement.

From the SJ Mercury Article:

In the fiscal year that ended Sept, 30, 98.88 percent of the employees entered into the E-Verify system were cleared to work, requiring no employee or employer action, Citizenship and Immigration Services says.

Rep. Zoe Lofgren, a San Jose Democrat who is the ranking Democrat on the House’s Immigration and Border Security Subcommittee, said E-Verify has a fairly high accuracy rate, but the underlying problem is the country’s “completely broken” immigration system.

Well that’s not true.

It was given by a court decision, it can be rescinded by the same.

Incorrect.

It was given by the 14th amendment. Its been upheld a number of times from cases involving the subject and for good reason, since it’s the very first sentence of the 14th

I’m in no way arguing that birth right citizenship has any chance of being ended. My only argument regarding that is the stupidity of having such a policy like that today. Why do you think every other industrialized nation (other than Canada) doesn’t have it?

Hmmm who knows.

Maybe because we do that’s one of the things that makes us “the greatest nation in the world”

Which court case upheld the American citizenship of children born here to illegal aliens again?

Do your own homework.

The Constitution says whatever 5 people in black robes decide that it says. For example how many people on the left agree Citizens United is Constitutional?

Personally I’m a proponent of any system that would help deal with the problem of illegal immigration. Not sure how many people are not going to try and cross the border illegally because of e-verify?

Oh I have, which is why I won’t be looking for something that doesn’t exist.

Obviously there is no system that will work without vigorous enforcement and penalties that are worse than what the potential benefits of noncompliance offer.

And yet those children born to illegals in the U.S are non the less granted citizenship, social security numbers, etc. And no one, not even Trump is gonna do a thing about it.

Keep in mind that the state and federal databases they rely on for verification do a pretty good job of identifying the frauds and it wouldn’t take a whole lot of work to make them even more effective.

Well no, that can be resolved with a single court ruling.

Enjoy the moment…we agree. :tumbler_glass:

Which cannot be done as long as the illegals provide the required documents.

If they do and you refuse them employment you are subject to civil rights/discrimination lawsuits.

1 Like