How do you respond to this GOP graphic?

What is the metric that you use to say that international trade is becoming more fair?

Typical political hype. The business cycle played its course. If Trump is lucky, it will last until after his term is over.

I look at that graphic and think, “Thanks, Obama!”

We were losing 700,000+ jobs every month when he came into office but it turned around.

By October 2010 we started consistently adding jobs every month and we haven’t stopped since!! We are currently on the longest streak of continuous jobs growth in recorded history. If the next jobs report is positive it will mark 100 consecutive months with jobs gains. We have added nearly 20 million jobs during this 99-month long streak. In Obama’s second term, we added an average of 215,000 jobs each month. We have been adding an average of 201,000 jobs every month for the years 2017 and 2018–not bad, but Trump is slightly off of Obama’s pace for jobs growth.

It’s pretty remarkable.

Yeah, there’s a self-own aspect of this that’s just . . . dumb.

I look at that graphic and imagine 10,000s of trump supporters thinking Obama was president in 2008 and personally caused the financial crisis and that for 8 years we were losing jobs

1 Like

IKR. Nearly half of my Facebook friends sincerely believe that practically overnight we went from 10% unemployment under Obama to 3.7% under Trump.

1 Like

There was a poll at some point with an alarming number of Republicans (more than 0%) blaming Obama for 9/11. Trying to find it now…

Consider the audience.

This is considered evidence, and it works. That’s scary but somehow I can still laugh at it… so far.

The GOP base is chronically stupid and misinformed, so this type propaganda works very well.

2 Likes

Kudos to you for stating accurate facts.

I would say like my friends on the left. All the good numbers = it’s Obama’s economy. But on days the market drops 500-1000 points it’s Trumps economy.

Mostly it’s the Fed. If Trump can get a better trade deal with China we should all be happy. I always cheered when I heard good economic numbers during the Obama administration even though the country is in perilous debt my partisanship stops when it comes to people losing jobs.

Was that because of Obama or helicopter Ben Bernanke and the Federal Reseve?

This type of graphic says nothing and preys on ignorance no matter who does it. The economy is very complex with numerous moving parts. Economic conditions are often cyclical and by no means subject to the whims of a single individual.

Yes We Can…Bail Out Wall Street
He did nothing to reform the institutions that caused the problems

Nothing more to say

I look at it the same way I look at people who claim all Democrats were against the Civil Rights Act. They’re fundamentaly dishonest.

Agreed. It was clearly a north-south thing.

It was also a liberal-conservative thing.

1 Like

I haven’t dug deep enough to offer opinion on that. What I do know is that almost all southern Democrats voted against the Civil Rights Act. All southern Republicans (very small amount though) voted against the CRA.

In the north, most Republicans voted for the CRA and some voted against. In the north, most Democrats voted for the CRA and a few voted against.

Have never broken it down beyond that.

Oh, you’re right: it was regional. But there was also a pretty self-evident ideological component to it.

Martin Luther King published in The Progressive (Peace and Social Justice Since 1909), not National Review.