House Moves to Terminate National Emergency

Isn’t it stunning how incredibly picky and petty the right was when Obama was n office, as compared to how they now overlook the most obvious and egregious behavior by Trump and his criminal crew?

1 Like

Gitmo still open?

To bad you don’t have any experts to back you up like the President does.

Trump’s experts say that the vast majority of drugs are smuggled through the ports of entry but he isn’t listening to them

Could be wrong, but I’ve been under the impression all the legislative branch has to do is vote to end it. When did the President start getting a say in that via veto?

Going by what FOX news told me it requires the President’s signature.

Not sure exactly why because sometimes it’s referred to as a bill, sometimes a resolution.

My limited understanding is, bills require Presidential signatures, resolutions are ‘in-house’ so to speak and don’t require the President’s approval. This must be a bill to end the national emergency.

.^

I’m confused also as there is a difference between a Joint Resolution and a Concurrent Resolution. A Joint Resolution requires Presidential signature, a Concurrent Resolution does not. That National Security Act of 1976 specifically says that a Presidential National Emergency Declaration can be canceled by Congress by a Concurrent Resolution (no Presidential veto).

However as the OP demonstrates the motion filed was for a Joint Resolution not a Concurrent Resolution.

.^^^^

After perusing the links (thanks) that is a head scratcher.

My guess? They want the authority of ‘law’ and not just a means to share their disagreement. This also requires a veto for the President to continue. They’ll have him on record for whatever difference that makes.

This post brought to you by #FakeNews.

Could the experts in the House have drafted the wrong langauage?

Maybe it’s more of a conspiracy than that.

Step #1: Send a Joint Resolution to the Senate.
Step #2: Senate passes, with some Senators voting in favor knowing it will be vetoed.
Step #3: Goes to the President who veto’s it.
Step #4: House says - oops we passed the wrong type of bill.
Step #5: House passes Concurrent Resolution and sends it to the Senate.
Step #6: Senate now required to vote on a CR which the President cannot veto and which will end the National Emergency Declaration.
Step #7: Senators that voted to pass under #2 are now screwed if they don’t also vote for the CR.
.^^^^

1 Like

Too bad that the President does not listen to the facts. It has been documented that Kirstjen Nielsen (who has her head up Trump’s butt) only allows him to hear opinions that jive with his views. He makes up stories about what is happening at the border (i.e. SOTU El Paso story). Early on he was presented with some simple southern and northern border facts. Example, 40% of illegals are folks that overstay their visas. He didn’t believe them. Tell me he doesn’t create his own reality. And the simple fact is that he doesn’t give a ■■■■ about border security. All he wants is a way to keep his number one campaign promise. And the icing on the cake where there is a claim that Mexico is going to pay for the wall with the money made off the new trade deal. Funny how anyone in the administration whio says that will not offer the math when asked.

1 Like

President Trump refuses to believe the fact that the huge majority of drugs are smuggled through the ports of entry.

1 Like

How do you gauge that?

I find it very weird that the Congress can give the President part of their power (appropriations in this instance) but have to have his permission to take it back.

Doesn’t seem right.

I don’t support the declaration of emergency. Having said that, I think he has a better case than Obama declaring one on Yemen or 7 Venezuelans.

I don’t know if the wall will help or not, I have some doubts. Mostly because I don’t think it will be maintained. But now I want it built.

That’s only true if a concurrent resolution carries the same weight as law.

My reading indicates that’s not the case. I don’t believe a concurrent resolution would end the emergency. It would only serve to let the president know he’s not supported by a majority of the Congress.

Of course I’m only speculating. I just gained my expertise this morning.

Apparently they gave that power in the national emergency act. If it’s not right they need to fix the act. In this case I think Congress made a ‘loop hole’ and Trump is jumping through it. Even if it’s not right, I’ve come to believe it’s legal.

The law was amended to require a Joint Resolution after the concept of a legislative veto was found to be unconstituional in INS v. Chadha

.^
Thank you. I didn’t realize there was a later amendment.
.^^^^

McConnell MUST bring it to a vote. He can’t slide on this one.