Home Depot 1, Union 0

https://www.thedailyreview.com/news/national/philadelphia-home-depot-workers-vote-to-reject-unionization/article_729a5f43-3c5e-573c-bb4b-65978cc8fa47.html

Philadelphia Home Depot employees voted 165 to 51 against forming a union.

Once again, the private sector says loudly and proudly, UNION NO!

1 Like

Didn’t Amazon workers recently reject unionizing as well?

I believe two warehouses rejected the union, one in NYC voted in the union.

Man, they don’t know what they’re missing. Oh well. Happy they tried, at least.

2 Likes

Yeah… not sure why any laborer wouldn’t want the power of collective bargaining.

Propaganda works.

1 Like

It’s Pennsylvania. I think the collective memory there remembers how far out of hand the union movement got.

It’s a shame. I’ve had some great union jobs where the union did not get out of hand.

After the end of World War II and the numerous economic controls that kept labor in line during the war, unions went bat â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  â– â– â– â–  crazy during 1945 and 1946. Absolute power corrupts and the incredible power unions had up to 1947 proved to be tantalizing.

But they would have to pay for that party and pay they did. Republicans and Democrats came together to pass the Taft-Hartley Act. Suddenly a great deal of that power was ripped from them and companies were given a fair shake in the process.

Had the unions stayed “in hand” in the 1940’s, there likely would have been no Taft-Hartley and unions would be in a much stronger condition today. They have nobody but themselves to blame.

Pittsburgh steel mills had the highest paid janitors in the world

Not any longer.

Now the schools have them.

Because public sector unions have no power limit.

The margin in the Home Depot vote was impressive.

1 Like

If you need to work at Home Depot, then you’re probably not the brightest bulb in the box. This is not to say they’re all dopey. As you can see, 51 of them aren’t stupid.

Sorry, if you’re a cashier or dime a dozen employee at Home Depot and vote against a union, you’re an idiot. Or you’d rather make less money. I’m guessing idiot here because most people rather make more money. If on the other hand you have a skillset that commands a higher wage, by all means, vote against the union.

Did they? Did you ever hear the complaints from Amazon workers? Many of them like the job, but still have some complaints. Those issues wouldn’t exist with a union. I’ve been in unions for over 30 years. Never ever has anything been remotely close to what they endure. Without a union there isn’t much they can do about it.

It works on the ignorant. People that have never been in unions are easily swayed. My sister in law, an RN, graduated valedictorian, far from a fool. Her job voted down unionizing. She is as conservative as the most conservative member on these boards. Yet she voted YES to unionize because her husband was union. She saw the advantage. But had her husband not been a union member, and as smart as she is, probably would have voted no.