Historic cold snap for texas

im in austin. yesterday we had an ice storm. 1/4-1/2 inch of ice.
they just issued a winters storm warning for saturday-monday.more ice and anywhere from 1-8 " of snow depending on the forecast. and the historic cold.
te offical NWS forecast is calling for a low of 5 but some forecasts are below zero. plus high winds. the last time austin was this cold was 1989 when the low was 4. the all time record low is -2 in 1949.
houston may see single digit temps. dallas may get a blizzard.
the governor has already issued a disaster declaration for the entire state.

i already stocked up the fridge,bought gallons of bottled water incase a pipe bursts although i plan on shutting off the water to the house early sunday and draining the pipes the best i can. stocked up on flashlight batteries. making sure cell phones are fully charged. dont plan on driving anywhere unless its an emergency.

the next few days are going to be “interesting”

global warming will do that…amirite? :sunglasses:

1 Like

I like to mention in threads like this, one valuable item to have - in this day where many people don’t have landlines anymore and rely on cell phones - is to have a battery backup to your computer.

Not only does it provide uninterrupted power to your computer for a short time in the case of an outage - which is intended to keep the computer running long enough shut down properly - there is another advantage.

Compared to a cell phone, a battery backup battery is massive, relatively speaking. If you have a modern battery backup it will typically have USB jacks on the front or back. So an Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) can be used to charge cell phones for probably weeks if power goes out. You’re not going to be using the computer anyway so you get two benefits: (A) time to shut down your computer properly, and (B) power to keep your cell phones active.

Personally we have two. One on my wife’s desktop and one on my gaming rig. One in the 1500va range should be plenty.

Just a thought.
.WW

Texans are always the first people to drive into a ditch at the mere thought of ice. :rofl:

im not leaving the house until wednesday unless its an emergency.
most texans dont realize that 4 wheel drive doesnt mean 4 wheel stop/////

Wind chill here is -15º right now. Feeding the ruminants isn’t so bad. Tipping over a 55 gallon water drum, busting all the ice out, and refilling it… that sucks. lol

I’m glad my car is a manual. Engine braking is far better on ice than using the brakes themselves.

That said… man I’ve been with this company for 10 years and I’ve never called in. If it’s bad here in Mississippi Tuesday I may just call in.

I heard president Biden this morning on the radio urging all Texans to rake the snow.

That should help the crisis.

Allan

3 Likes

i wish it’d get cold here in PA like -20 for two weeks. kills the bugs

That’s no way to talk about street people.

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Rake the snow …

What does that even mean?

Its a joke based on Trump suggesting CA fires where the fault of the CA government because they didn’t rake the forests.

1 Like

So Biden is mocking Texans? How unifying of him.

Funny hearing Gov of Texas blame the failure of the Taxes grind due to Solar/Wind and not because thousands of poles and transformers being down.

He never said it.

1 Like

No power for almost two days. Found another cell data pocket.

Sure my neighbors are sleeping in their cars but their hearts are warmed knowing our next legislative session will focus on bathroom laws.

2 Likes

So @biggestal99 is mocking us?

I donno about your Biden claim but Texas should be mocked for this endlessly.

This is the some of the stupidest ■■■■ I’ve ever seen.

I didn’t make a Biden claim.

K, whatever that is.