Higher Education in America – too expensive, takes too much time, has a limited “shelf-life, and consists of a great deal of content that has limited practical value

No it is.

However this is about not you in particular, but those who don’t expect parents at all to consider that cost & prepare for it as best they can ahead of time, for example, regularly investing in a college fund.

Oh I agree with you 100% about that.

Not everyone is fit to college level work, or even wants to do so.

Saw that my share of the times volunteering in a school with little ones.

There are some who will, if they attempt college level work, probably won’t leave with a degree & possibly will have student loan debt to boot.

Not everyone is meant to attend college nor should be deluded into thinking they are.

vo-tech is fools gold. Studies have shown that it doesn’t really move the unemployment rate one way or another. It’s not a bad option, but it’s not a silver bullet.

I would also argue like anything: that the price has been driven up by the increased demand.

More are expected to attend college in spite of the fact that they won’t complete a degree. Both loans—at least some that will go unpaid—and the demand which helped encourage them in the first place are part of the problem.

The value of a college education is that it shows (or should show) that you are educable. You may not use a single fact learned in many of your classes once you graduate, but you have demonstrated that you can manage the rigors and master the material to get a degree.

And it doesn’t have to be expensive.

As @LucyLou pointed out, community college is inexpensive (at least for now.) Your first two years of a 4-year degree can be completed without having to take out a dime of loans. I’m not aware of any state school that doesn’t accept credits from community college.

On the flip side, a person might be far happier in the trades rather than at a white-collar job.

I’m a firm believer in the value of a kid going into the work force for a couple of years after high school before enrolling in college. He may find his heart’s contentment through those first few years of being in the work force. Or he may come to understand what he does NOT want to do – and discover why that college degree is worth the effort. (And maybe what degree he really should pursue!)

3 Likes

I’m not sure I follow you here. Are you saying that is good for the economy for everybody to attend a 4 year college? The fact is that most jobs don’t require a four year college degree to function more than adequately in the profession. Basically those in the education establishment and those who benefit from have brainwashed everyone into thinking that is the case.

As one example of this, local radio ads are proclaiming that many job openings in Massachusetts require only certification.

Some of these programs take a one year degree, others probably an Associates.

First let me say I do believe there is value in certain liberal arts subjects. I personally have learned a good number of thing about politics, history, culture, etc., through discussion on this forum. The thing is you get more than a sufficient liberal arts education from k-12, more specifically in high school of course, which one spends four years in.

get rid of federal gov. students and watch how fast tuitions drop

1 Like

At least a couple of the articles I posted in the OP indicated how governments role in this has absolutely contributed to the skyrocketing costs associated with higher education. Unfortunately this segment of our economy has really been sheltered from free market forces that would normally keep prices in check. Look at the cost of car for comparison.

And we had “colored” water fountains too.

Is that what you are proposing… to return to the “good ole days” ?

2 Likes

Really great post with lots of good information, medicswife. Thanks!

Great answer.

party colleges. Need i say more…

1 Like

It’s impossible to talk about anything good at any time if we must also bring up other, related bad things. Your post would make more sense if you had prettier hair.

2 Likes

I’m just giving the Canadian some of his own medicine. Anytime a conservatives brings up something good about the past, he says something like “so … you want to go back to the good ole days of lynching black people”

1 Like

There was less insistence that students attend college in the ‘50’s.

Some went right to work; married; and started families during this time period.

that’s called trolling

That’s why you are here.

good day…