Has the term "Lady" now become offensive?

Congress keeps using the word “gentlelady.” What the hell is a gentlelady? Have you ever heard and announcer say “Gentleladies and gentlemen.” Have you ever seen a restroom marked “gentleladies?” Have you ever heard anyone other than a congressperson use the term 'Gentlelady?" It’s the goofiest made up word I’ve heard in a long time. Does anybody know why only congress uses it? Do they consider the word “lady” to be sexist or demeaning? So they had to invent a replacement?

1 Like

Wow. Working up the poutrage. Lady is not offensive. Glad to answer you question.

2 Likes

Yes.

Gentlelady has been used in Congress for years.

8 Likes

Here is a link.

Allan

PC outrage for the day?

Googled the word - the deep state lib mob fake news dictionary put out by Merriam-Webster says it’s related to the word “gentlewoman” which was first used in the 13th century to describe a woman of noble birth, or one who attends upon a lady of rank.

So maybe it’s a return to traditional values? :wink:

Good Lord.

Google first.

Why is this in politics?

3 Likes

Gentlewoman is used by the house.

Allan

Simma down Molly. We’re not curing cancer here. We’re allowed to have fun from time to time. Congress seems to be the only place where the term “lady” cannot be used.

I didn’t ask how long it’s been in use. I’m just wondering why they think it’s necessary to invent a word that nobody uses to replace the word “lady.”

Even if it was an “invented” word, why would anyone care?

Words are invented all the time.

It is one of the great things that separates us from the French.

Congress did not “invent” the terminology. It’s an old term.

Good lord. They spent tax payer dollars to pay for a guidebook so congress knows what words they are allowed to use? :confounded:

Every institution has rules and proper decorum.

The house is not different.

Allan

Man, all the things going on in the world… and this is what you’re concerned about?

2 Likes

So is Damsel. And Gentlelady sounds just as goofy.

BTW. I think the old term from the middle ages was gentlewoman.

In all seriousness-who cares?

Should we ask for the gentlemen and gentleladies of congress to issue trigger warnings so no one gets PTSD from hearing the term “gentlelady?”

2 Likes

All words are invented. Where did you think they came from?

They didnt invent anything.The word has been around for 800 years. It was invented at the same time that gentleman was. Its weird that you have an issue with one being used but not the other

1 Like

Don’t let the French guy hear this.

1 Like