Has the Response to COVID Helped with the Answer

To the question, “Who is John Gault?”

The response by the politicians in collusion with the bureaucracy and experts may have driven John Gaults into the open.

And watch what happens next; the pols will vote themselves more authority. It happens every time. Listen to Larry Brilliant’s comments on the 2016 conference on epidemic response. And they got scared this time. They know they are losing the consent of the governed.

I believe so.

And an example is the weirdo Elon Musk. The man is an old school visionary. He’s getting ready to launch a rocket into space! What an achievement. He made the state of California get on its knees. I saw where he replied to a challenge on social media like a man.

He’s not there yet. But if he moves his business, he’ll be getting closer in my book.

We used to be like that. I wonder what happened.

The response to this virus could change politics in this country forever.

2 Likes

years of leftist programming in public schools

Elon Musk, is he that battery maker who doesn’t know what a truck looks like?

1 Like

Ok, he may not be the John Gault.

Exchanging liberty/freedom for convenience/comfort?

Not even a Reardon.

Maybe like the oil guy.

Yes, and visionaries unwilling to kowtow to government bureaucrats.

But a place for him in the Gulch?

1 Like

Any “John Galts” wanna bug out I’ll say see ya! Someone else step up and take their place.

Right on!

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.” John Rogers

This has been quoted, requoted, paraphrased a whole bunch of times. But this is my favorite version and it’s still one of my favorite quotes of all time.

2 Likes

I understand why you didn’t, but you need to attribute your source.

It’s cute. It also is a) one person’s opinion, childlike in itself and b) not supported by history or reality.

3 Likes

I’ll add it. This version is John Rogers. He’s a screenwriter.

1 Like

But please tell me why I didn’t attribute it? I’ll save time. I forgot to add it.

Ok, that’s reason enough.

It is cute. And a) Of course it’s one person’s opinion. Just like every single opinion on Earth. And I think quite witty and perceptive. And b) that’s your opinion. I think it is supported by history and reality. You ever talk to people who quote or reference Atlas Shrugged frequently? It’s rough. Give me a Lord of the Rings fan.

1 Like

Witty? Well, he’s qualified for that.

How many of those people do you think truly understand what they read? Or even read the whole thing? Or have ever read anything else in the Russian style?

The people I have run into who claim it is one of two books that will change a 14 year-old girl’s life either never read it or didn’t understand it.

Same with a lot of books. The Bible, Handmaid’s Tale. I believe most people these days who read at all do so through a lens of watching a movie. They never pause and think about things. Never question what they just read.

Small thinking rules the day.

We are also a very results oriented society and horribly subject to confirmation bias.

Good stuff!

I think you would, if you haven’t read it already, enjoy “Thinking Fast and Slow” by Daniel Kahneman. Nobel Prize for Economics for exploring all sorts of cognitive biases.

1 Like

I may have, but I will put it on my list. Many thanks.

Does anyone here find it extremely funny that one of the first choices for a real life match to a protagonist of a novel written by a self-proclaimed objectivist but who ended her days on the government dole for her lung cancer…

…was a guy who is where he is due to billions in federal subsidies?

I do.

2 Likes