Has “Cultural appropriation” gone too far?

Well after reeducation we’ll all be good little anti racist comrades

3 Likes

I’ve never understood the idea of “cultural appropriation”. Remember the backlash against the white Washington teen who liked a traditional Chinese dress enough to wear it to her prom?

The backlash wasn’t from actual Chinese—those on the mainland who saw the story loved that she was open minded and open hearted to their traditional dress. It was from various Americans.

How exactly is it offensive to borrow something from another culture? Historically cultures have evolved by exposure to societies different than their own.

I guess some prefer that all of us stay in our own enclaves and don’t learn from anyone different.

2 Likes

It becomes a costume. Playing dress up. I can see it.

So a white person enjoying native American art or corn rows or big hoop earrings is a “costume”?

“Playing dress up”?

Um, OK.

Here is an encouraging story about the ultimate preacher against cultural appropriation walking away:

Good for him! In other articles about Derek Black, his Orthodox Jewish friend, once his identity had been outed, stated to friends who wanted him outside their circle “How will we change his heart and mind by avoidance?”, reaching out & inviting him to dinner.

Yes, seen from the other side of the prism.

The other side of the prism is whom?

Most likely it isn’t indigenous peoples, whose art brings them revenue, for example.

It isn’t the mainland Chinese, who were delighted with the Seattle teen’s choice of their traditional dress for a prom.

Here’s another example:

Mr. Sanchez is 100% correct about northeastern liberals, who are largely white. They’re sneering, vicious individuals when it comes to the minorities they claim to defend.

It wasn’t actual Jews hysterical over Sanchez’ denying they’re an oppressed minority, but, more likely, these same, sneering northeastern liberals—the same ones probably making a fuss about borrowing styles from other cultures.

They can take their opinion about “cultural appropriation”, and shove it.

1 Like

I thought that was what advocates for diversity and inclusion wanted—for different peoples to get acquainted with each other and appreciate contributions from cultures other than their own.

Maybe they did in the 1960s, before “diversity” was even a widely used term. I think now they’re wanting more to keep everyone in their own game preserves, um, I mean enclaves, and not learn anything from anyone different from themselves.

Cultural appropriation is the new segregation.

1 Like

There are universities calling for segregated housing for students these days. That’s where we’re headed, I’m afraid.

2 Likes

If no one want to appropriate it then it isn’t culture … just a quirk.

The owner of the culture you are “borrowing” from to make your costume.

They don’t want diversity of thought or beliefs.

1 Like

No it is not.

It’s sneaky mean white liberals who take offense to everything.

Rick Sanchez and Malcolm X had these SJWs figured out 10-50 years ago.

Sorry to hear you’ve joined them.

:rofl: Can’t help it, can you.

On that I agree.

Thoughts, ideas, even different circumstances and choices are not generally a part of diversity initiatives.

It sounds like an argument someone might have made as to why Marian Anderson shouldn’t be singing European Operas.

People in other countries dress up as American cowboys. That’s a sign of admiration and respect to me.

1 Like

Me too.

When did “I’d like to do that, too” become offensive?

I have a solution for all this nonsense:

Treat everyone with exact same level of respect and let others be exactly who they already are.

2 Likes

Do they? I’ve lived in other countries and I’ve never seen it.

It’s not to me and it’s my culture. Stop.