Harmful Gender Stereotypes to be Banned in UK Advertising

50 years down the line, you get a Puritan led ACA telling businesses that they can’t advertise things that are at odds with “traditional family values.”

This isn’t some ground-breaking change in constitutional law re: advertising.

Advertising is more regulated here. You can’t advertise prescription drugs or tobacco for instance. Political ads are pretty much banned too, or highly regulated rather.

That quarter pounders are bad for you is clear. That gender stereotypes are being reinforced is hugely subjective.

I would think American men who are tired of being portrayed as idiots that have to be rescued by their wives and are bullied by their kids would welcome this kind of thing.

Yeah I’d love if we had your stance on prescription drug ads here for sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perhaps.

But what harm is done here? I really don’t see any.

That was very much the 90s TV paradigm, right? Tim Taylor, Homer Simpson, Al Bundy…

We sort of grew past that naturally without regulators though, right?

I’ve said before the biggest culture shock I had on visiting the US was the amount of drug advertising you have. It’s insane, and really unhealthy imo.

But I think the political ads are far worse.

I am not a member of any political party, I have never campaigned for any MP or party, neither have I protested against or marched in favour of any political issue.

But if they tried to allow somewhat unlimited political advertising here as it is in the US, I’d ■■■■■■■ march across the country campaining against that ■■■■■ I would organise a ■■■■■■■ political movement on my own if need be, those ads are cancerous in a way I don’t think most Americans realise or consider.

Not necessarily in line with American Values, but that’s okay because it’s not America.

So it’s fun to lob jokes from afar but not really that big a deal to us.

If you view it as a slippery slope, that’s a fair reading of the situation so I won’t get too worked up if you think this is the coming apocalypse either.

That’s why during the silly season I take full advantage of my DVR and ff thru all of those commercials.

I agree 100% especially with political ads. I much prefer the UK system. A general election is called and you are only subjected to political ads for 6 weeks. Here in the US it is almost a continuous cycle.

No one is regulating TV shows, we are talking about advertising. You are just determined to be outraged. Its happening in England so its never going to impact you.

Editing - From re-reading I can see @mwevans1234 isnt actually outraged. I misread his posts so thats my bad.

I am potentially the least outraged person you’ve interacted with in your entire life. I’m mildly concerned that a regulatory organization is regulating something that’s incredibly subjective and that said body might change to regulate more nefarious things.

It’s ridiculous and I wish we had the UK’s heavier hand when it comes to this.

Even if I know an attack ad is full of crap, repeatability (as Goebbels found) has an impact.

Can someone please explain the arm-flapping hysterics over 58 genders?

All good - the guy with the Orioles hat mucks things up for everyone.

1 Like

Can you? Do you know the source of what you’re mocking?

Can’t even find one social justice warrior who believes in “58 genders”. What is this board coming to??

They’re trying to push an extra 56 genders on me! It’s upsetting because I’m only used to two! Any more than that is weird and scary! Damned libs ruined my Christmas, now they’re ruining my genders!

Don’t confuse me with the kind of perpetually “victimized” gender-confused idiots you all like to claim solidarity with.

You either believe it or you don’t. Which is it??