Harmful Gender Stereotypes to be Banned in UK Advertising

https://www.asa.org.uk/news/harmful-gender-stereotypes-in-ads-to-be-banned.html

Holy Toledo.

Among the samples of ads that will be banned:

• An ad that depicts a man or a woman failing to achieve a task specifically because of their gender e.g. a man’s inability to change nappies; a woman’s inability to park a car.

I’ve long been damaged by the stereotype that I can’t change a diaper…

This is a case of good intentions gone horribly wrong. The lazy-dad inept-driving-female things are on their way out - regulating bad ads out is ridiculous.

Sometimes having a written constitution instead of a hypothetical unwritten one pays off.

6 Likes

From the idiots that brought us 58 genders.

It’s time to stop suffering these fools. Enough us way more than enough.

Oh, boy. This is bad and ridiculous.

1 Like

Who really cares? Will it really impact anyone negatively when this ban goes into place. Do you really take that much notice of advertising that you would actually be aware that ads can no longer depict someone not able to do something because of their gender? If I had not read this I would never have been aware of it.

I agree its a bit silly but will not impact me one jot.

How will you go about it?

I’m canceling my trip to the UK for dental work.

Enough is enough.

:tooth:

Yes it will. And to understand why, you must ask yourself what’s next? Because there is always a “next.” They always take it to the next level? Who knows, they may even loose their minds over Christmas carols next. Oh wait. Never mind.

What do you think is next?

1 Like

You cannot compare the two situations - If a private business decides not to air a Christmas song that is their choice. Government is not banning the song.

Plus the ASA and CAP in the UK are not government entities. They are self-regulating entities for the advertising industry in the UK and not funded by the government.

I stand by the fact that if this had not been publicized there is no way in 2019 you would have been sat watching UK adverts saying "why dont adverts show gender stereotypes any more.

The advertising industry has some of the most creative minds so I suspect they will be just fine. No one is going to lose any business over this or be at a disadvantage.

Mostly through mocking and ridiculing any ■■■■■■■ idiots who believe there are “58 genders”.

Do you believe, in your heart and soul, without a doubt, that there are 58 genders??

I believe that as a social construct gender falls along a wide spectrum. There are polar extremes, and most people fall somewhere in the vast middle. Personally, I don’t particularly care as it doesn’t affect me - I know who I am and am comfortable in my own skin, and I think others should be able to feel similarly.

You seem incredibly agitated and angry about all of this. I hope mocking others gives you some measure of peace.

1 Like

I’d be very upset if an independent agency run by puritans told my business we were prohibited from showing two men holding hands because that doesn’t ascribe to some vague notion of morality.

So you don’t agree there are 58 genders??

That sounds incredibly hateful and backwards thinking. Welcome to the club!

It’s great that it’s happening naturally. I don’t think it’s great to regulate. If the market thinks you’re sending dumb outdated messages about women, women won’t buy your product.

Bet you can’t name all “58 genders” without looking it up.

Give it a try.

Would it soothe you?

Can you do it? Do you care? Do you believe in all “58 genders”??

I’ll bet you don’t believe in that nonsense. You can tell us.

I’m trying to come up with a reason to care about these advertising regulations but am failing a bit on this one.

I’d prefer rather a long list of ■■■■■■■■ were banned from adverts (they’re ■■■■■■■ irritating) so I guess i’m outside the norm there.

You’re starting to show a glimmer of understanding with this question.

I’m sorry this topic distresses you so. Again, I hope you take solace in mocking others about it, as you say you will.

Pretty much.

Much ado about very little.

Banning those ads for kids products after a certain hour was more significant. Same with banning fast food ads targeting kids.