Happy Memorial Day!

Or winter. It’s too complicated to get into here. Look online for how to gradually get the lateral branching pattern set. You won’t get decent fruit set without it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the chat everyone. Time to go take a couple of lawn chairs down to the tracks to have a cold beer with dad while the trains pass by. I love hearing about his Air Force career from the 70s-90s, and he loves hearing about the whacky non-combat times I had in Iraq and Afghanistan.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Appreciate the info!

1 Like

I have two uncles who served in World War II in the Pacific in the navy. This video gives you an idea of what the sailors went through:

The movie The Deer Hunter, which deals with the Viet Nam ends with this music, the Russian hymn “eternal memory”:

Here is an English Version of the same hymn:

We sang that yesterday in my church for the deceased veterans.

1 Like

Another good option is to hire someone who knows what they’re doing and pay them extra to tutor you while they do it the first year or two. I’ve got an apple and a plum that, while they were pruned, were not pruned well the first few years and it’s a lot more work to try to force them back into something they don’t want to be than to start them out good.

Don’t know where in the country you are, but it’s also a good idea to consider spraying. Local extension service usually has very good info on that. I’m in the PNW and dormant spraying especially for fungus is a good idea. I spray with lime and sulfur twice.

1 Like

One of the farmers out here that I buy hay bales from has a fruit orchard in his back yard. I’ll ask him to show me how to do it the first couple of time and then I should be good to go. He’ll show me, but he’s old school, so he teaches, I do. lol

I have seen it. What about it? You think Trump is the answer to the rankings cited in that monologue?

I mowed the lawn on the rider mower with my 3 year old on my knee. Played guitar while he played in the sandbox. watched Houston lose. When for a drive in the truck to get ice cream. bbq n hot gdogs right now and watching disney

1 Like

I prune the fruit trees out here in late Jan or early Feb. But I’m in NW. I always top off straight shoots that go vertically and then thin out heavier branches that bundle up. Which make it easier to get at the fruit by topping off and thinning it out.

Deer prune the lower branches for me so I can mow around em. :wink:

But as for your tree not sure. with splicing you might want to allow it grow first till about 5 or 6 ft and then top off to allowing it branch off. You want the tree to grow outward, not up.

Pay attention to long think branches, clip them back as well.

They usually end up breaking off if there is to many apples on em…but again the deer don’t mind. They’re more then happy to take it off your hands.

Good luck.

1 Like

Absolutely not.

You think Clinton was?

Why’d you bring it up?

I liked it.

I miss my Dad.

Happy Memorial Day.

1 Like

Damn, I used to have the most zen moments with my Dad. :thinking:

Memorial Day should be the most honored holiday we have…Without those men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice, the world would be much different. Hell…there may never have been a USA.

The weekend was fun…today is a day of remembrance and honor…

Thank you.

1 Like

My daughter and grandson are over from England so today was a fantastic day. We had a lot of fun.

Cool
5ch

2 Likes