Happy Appomattox Day

Plus making the dumb ■■■■ decision to grant blanket amnesty under section 14.3 which allowed the old power class to return to power and erase any gains blacks made during reconstruction.

4 Likes

Treason got us our freedom, did it not?

4 Likes

They should have had to earn it back.

As generations have passed, this “Confederate nationalism” you refer to has dissipated. In the deep south, which was the very core of what you refer to, as the new millennium came in, the millennium’s mentality that supports this began dying very quickly. Here we are in 2024 and the deep south may very well be the most integrated culture of black, white and acceptance in the entire US.

1 Like

The Civil War lasted 16 years, and only ended with Rutherford Hayes’ surrender so he could become President.

It’s dissipated since then now. But in the aftermath of the war, especially the first 50 years or so, it was voracious. It led directly to Jim Crow. That’s why the Feds should have smashed it into the dust when they had the chance.

And people still fly that stupid flag of failure and trauma. So it’s not completely gone.

3 Likes

Go tell that to Patrick Braxton, mayor of Newbern, Alabama.

Somehow, I don’t think he will agree with you…

Appomattox marked the defeat of the Democrat Slave Owners.

The left still loves their slavery. They just stuff those little pieces of ■■■■ in cobalt mines or Chinese sweat shops these days. :rofl:

2 Likes

And rightfully so.

I think they fly the flag for different reasons today. One of the reasons is it sets the democrats hair on fire. The other is more about being a rebel and not being forced to conform to what someone else thinks is proper.

Of course.

There’s other symbols nowhere near as tainted that could have been selected. Even the official flag of the CSA, the true stars and bars, would have made more sense.

It’s not just the civil war that taints the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. It’s the flag that was used for protest civil rights and to support segregation.

It’s inherently tainted as a symbol. There’s no way it can redeemed today. It was ruined. Just like how the NAZIs ruined the Swastika and the Stalhelm.

3 Likes

Has anyone been to any civil war battlefields?

I’ve been reading some books on the civil war and Gettysburg is next on my travel list.

I have a hard time accepting that the civil war was not about anything other then slavery, but most confederate soldiers were not slave holders. Sometimes i think the willingness to fight was more akin to people in the country resisting new ideas from the city folk or yankees. Ideas that began really before the declaration of independence.

Its a fascinating study into what it means to be an American, and in todays divided country i wish more people would study our history.

1 Like

Each person’s reasons for fighting was all their own. Everyone fought for a different reason or a different cause. That’s any war and the individual soldiers though.

And the vast majority of confederate soldiers were dirt poor farmers, like two of my ancestors. They couldn’t afford slaves. Totally different world for them versus what the rich Grand Blancs got to live.

And I’ve been to three battlefield memorials. Vicksburg, Shiloh, and Chattanooga. Granted in the case of the last two they aren’t so much battlefield memorials as much as they are markers to both Union and confederate soldiers who died there. Vicksburg memorial is really sweet though. It’s been preserved completely and it looks almost just like it did in 1863 when the battle happened. They even reconstructed all the trenches. They also have an ironclad ship that’s been restored there on the grounds.

2 Likes

Some didn’t have a choice. Particularly in the South, conscription was enforced, especially late in the war as the south was running out of bodies to send into combat.

I have nothing against those poor bastards at all. Most of the conscripts suffered prior to the war from having to compete against slaves.

Many went of their own free will. Many were forced to go.

1 Like

They would look at what your just posted and laugh because they got the reaction they wanted.
It is nothing more than a piece of cloth and people today are still having melt downs over it. How sad is that.
I feel the same way about statures. The statues are nothing more than a piece of art. I am sure the men depicted in the statures were loved by their friends and families. They were not evil men. They were just humans like everyone else.
I see Mexico’s flag flown all the time in the United States. I don’t like it but I would never think the people flying the flags are evil and that they should be forced to hide the flag their waving. We kicked Mexico back across the border long ago but I hold no animosity towards Mexico or the flag they fly.
I see works of art that are crapping on peoples religious believes. But I would never call for the art to be destroyed or hidden away.
I think it is crappy that west point has a statue honoring the buffalo soldiers who killed a lot of my relatives. I don’t think it should be torn down or hidden away in maybe the buffalo soldier museum.
I watch how democrats talk about southerners on here and it shows me just why some people feel the need to still fly the confederate flag.

1 Like

I’m a proud southerner. But I’m also half black. So I’ll admit that it complicates my view of the Battle Flag.

I’ll admit that when I was young and dumb I kind of liked it. I had white cousins who flew it. I wore a Battle Flag durag for a few years because I was trying to fit in more with white southern society, which I was born into and raised by. My grandparents didn’t like it (despite being old school white southeners they were anti-Confederate: for example we never had a Mississippi state flag at our house because of its battle flag motif we only flew US flags) but I had a ton of friends of who flew it and I wanted to be like them. It wasn’t until I learned the actual history that I became opposed to it. It’s a symbol of trauma. The Civil War was the most traumatic event the south ever went through. And then the trauma that black Americans went through to fight for equality.

There are better symbols that represent our heritage and our pride. The Confederacy was a bad awful mistake that our ancestors made. Its own leader, Jefferson Davis, said it died of a theory and needed to be left behind.

2 Likes

Mississippi Goon Squad hearts this.

1 Like

None of them got enough time. They should have got life.

I used to live in the town where they did that ■■■■■■■■■

1 Like