Gun Control Discussion

Ok, let’s try this. These are the things I’m willing to go along with:

1. Ban the bump things. It didn’t make a difference, but they aren’t arms.

2. Raise the purchase age to 21. Just as soon as you raise the voting and military age to 21. You’re either an adult or you’re not.

3. Require states to report felonies to NICS.

Please be civil.

Yes, useless gimmick items.
Yes, raising the age of adulthood is clearly necessary now.
Yes, should have been doing so from the getgo.

1 yes
2, lets lower it for all weapons to 18 and also bring drinking age down to 18.
3 yes but also add misdemeanor domestic battery convictions

1 Like

Throughout history military age and the age of majority have been different in most cultures.

I’d be fine with raising the voting age and for firearms eligibility both to 25 though.

I don’t necessarily disagree, but why?

Well, I agree with 2/3.

First, I agree that the bumpstocks should be banned. I disagree that they should be banned by executive order (as is currently in process), I think they should be banned by a law.

Second, I think the gun purchase age of all guns (including handguns) should be 18. I also think the drinking age should be reduced to 18.

Third, I agree, and I also think that the states (and military) should agree to report all judicial actions that are counter to legal gun usage to the NICS. At the current time, that should include those who use medical or recreational marijuana.

To Sneaky:

Because misdemeanor domestic battery convictions under current law preclude people from buying guns.

Here’s the list from the ATF: If states have knowledge of any of these, it should be turned into NICS.

Are there persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition?

Yes, a person who —

(1) Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;

(2) Is a fugitive from justice;

(3) Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;

(4) Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;

(5) Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;

(6) Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;

(7) Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;

(8) Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner issued after a hearing

at which notice was given to the person and at which the person had an opportunity to participate, and includes a finding that the person subject to the order represents a credible threat to the intimate partner or child or the intimate partner OR explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of force against the partner; or

(9) Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm or ammunition,is prohibited from shipping, transporting, possessing, or receiving firearms and ammunition.

A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully ship, transport, or receive a firearm or ammunition. Such persons may continue to lawfully possess firearms and ammunition obtained prior to the indictment or information, but cannot do so once the conviction becomes final.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g) and (n); 27 CFR 478.32]

Ok. I’ll agree to that with the caveat that I don’t know that I agree with misdemeanors being an exclusion at all.

Well, it’s only domestic violence misdemeanors.

What makes that worse than any other?

Not in Texas. Any class a

Well, federal law states domestic violence misdemeanor. See my earlier quote from the ATF.

I know.