Grill that porterhouse to perfection

Right? What the heck is it about the salt block that makes things taste so good? Maybe it just draws out the natural flavors?

You can completely use a salt block to sear…:flushed: Holy moley does that sound good!

Seriously, let me know how it works out!

The downside of the salt block really is how long it takes to slowly get it up to temperature (the instructions on my block said to raise the temp every 15 minutes for 45 minutes for max temp.) That’s really not a problem when your Sous Vide is going take at least 1.5 - 3 hrs to cook your steak.

Well, yes that is part of the fun of it. Can you PM me or post the Sous Vide recipe? Sounds like something/ a challenge I’d love to try.

From a point of view of humaneness at slaughter, the big companies tend to be the most humane. They also tend to be the most compliant with labor laws.

It is the small independent operations that tended to have the issues. The now defunct Agric-processors were one of the worst. They were the ones that had the infamous uncover video made of the cows being turned upside down and then dropped out of the kill box while still conscious.

On the other hand, Cargill was so humane and compliant, they actually let Oprah film inside one of their slaughterhouses.

The process by which cattle are raised and finished prior to slaughter needs improvement, but that is on the ranchers, not the slaughterhouses.

I get grass raised and grass finished cattle from local suppliers and hand slaughter my own animals. Obviously, however, most people aren’t in a position to do that, though most would have access to grass raised and grass fed beef.

Salt really brings out the flavors in everything you cook. Don’t use so much that the salt dominates the taste and you will find the natural flavors of your ingredients enhanced.

Salt your steak before searing it ina cat iron pan. You won’t taste much salt and the steak will develop a crust. You’ll love it.

I do happen to know that God prefers his steak with salt. :smile:

Leviticus 2:13 - And every oblation of thy meat offering shalt thou season with salt; neither shalt thou suffer the salt of the covenant of thy God to be lacking from thy meat offering: with all thine offerings thou shalt offer salt.

Does God have any tips on how to cook shrimp? I’m always looking for a new recipe.

Actually, God doesn’t eat those sea termites. :smile:

Leviticus 11:10 King James Version (KJV)

10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

Seriously, even though I am a non-theist, I actually follow that rule, but for health reasons, rather than religion. I don’t eat shrimp, lobster or any other form of shellfish. I mostly eat oily fish like salmon and tuna.

I eat salmon/tuna/swordfish 1-2 times a week. Shrimp only happens maybe once every 2 months.

They are yummy though.

Growing up in Pennsylvania, rarely had much shrimp or such as a kid, particularly as most of the extended family were meat and potato types, never got the taste for it. Then in my mid 20’s, I started switching over to a paleo diet which excludes that sort of seafood.

You don’t know what you’re missing.

Aren’t those the pretties creators…and extremely tasty.

You just like butter,

Got to have salt to bring out the flavor. Especially if its grass feed sweet. Me…I aint afraid of no Ketchup! (In Britain they just call it sauce, as it is taboo and too American to say “Ketchup”).

A buddy of mine had a terrific old cow. Its name was Gomez. He was delicious

“Eat Food as Medicine or you will Eat Medicine as Food.” -Steve Jobs

Ketchup is good for my teriyaki sauce (1 part soy sauce/ketchup/pineapple juice + garlic + ginger + salt/pepper), and meatloaf.

Oh. I guess it was also necessary for the eggs in basic training.

Who was delicious? The cow or your buddy?

Vegetarians. :wink:

I think you may be responding to the wrong person. I am not the person in this thread opposed to eating meat.