Gov Newsom signs law raising taxes on guns and ammunition

First off, a sales or excise tax has nothing to do with procurement. The tax is paying the government for permission to procure an item.

But more on point … If you had to pay the government before you could require them to have a warrant to search your house would that be a Right? How about if you had to pay a “fair trial tax” before you received due process?

It’s pretty simple … If you have to pay a tax to the government to have a Right, then it’s not a Right.

2 Likes

Well sure it does. If I procure stuff at a store it usually includes a tax.

You have no Right to procure the stuff you buy at stores unless it’s a gun or ammunition.

I have a right to procure a newspaper.

You forgot about the amendment just before the second amendment.

Do you pay the Federal government a tax on your newspaper? I don’t.

But the Rights in First and Second Amendments are fundamentally different. The First protects (from the Government) the Rights of freedom of speech, the press, assembly, and the right to petition the Government for a redress of grievances, whereas the Second projects your Right to keep (which includes procurement) and use guns without infringement by the Government. Having to pay the Government when you buy a gun and/or ammo, makes it more if a privilege than a Right.

Some States do and any State has a right to do so, many just CHOOSE not to do so.

I had to check.

North Carolina does tax newspapers 4.75% plus any local tax.

Well, shame on them …

Hey speaking of ammunition, the CA law requiring background checks for ammo purchases really sucks. I pay attention because lately their new laws become our new laws in my state.
It’s an extra dollar if you buy from a store who has the inventory on-hand. However most of my purchases are quantity buys online which are usually a lot cheaper than in-store. In CA you have to ship the online purchase to an FFL. From my research CA FFL’s are charging $25-$50 transfer fees.
Imagine buying a brick of 22LR and having to pay an additional 50 bucks. :frowning:

Are you writing said newspaper, or reading it. The 1A doesn’t have to do with reading said paper, but it protects the rights of those writing it.

Yea, no thanks. Kind of proves the point though, added expense to excercise a right. Thank God I don’t have to deal with that in Ohio, order it online, ships direct to my front door.

And just how difficult is it to replace a firing pin?
This just shows how someone with zero knowledge on firearms writes a new law. Easily defeated.

The tax has the feel of a poll tax.

2 Likes

Given the level of sales taxes levied on Cigs, which can be two to three times the actual price of a pack untaxed, I don’t think 20% is going to be a problem.

Except cigarettes don’t enjoy 2nd Amendment protection from infringement, backed by a supreme court that views virtually everything as infringement.

I do agree that if taxes go above a certain percentage it can easily be considered an infringement. What the percentage is I am not so sure.

If a politician wants to try and ban firearms then be open about it so the people who elect you can decide if thats what they want then the politician needs to use the established political process.

I am not a fan of these stealth tactics which do nothing but fill the coffers of the state.

The San Jose gun registration and insurance shakedown is an atrocity. I wish a pox on that entire city government. Making firearm owners pay money that’s going to a private nonprofit that can give the money to organizations that are anti-gun and can encourage owners to give up their firearms.

2 Likes

Before we all get too excited the reason for the season is almost here…

2 Likes

Same intent.

1 Like

Everything is an infringement.

2 Likes