Got My Permit Today

Interestibngly enough, Florida was the first state to “shall issue” concealed carry permits and yet we still do not have open carry.

But I agree with you. Even if FL had open carry, I would still carry concealed when appropriate.

thanks! yes several in the area

whats the protocol for being pulled over if you have gun in car?

I would hand the officer a copy of my permit while informing him that I have a firearm and tell him exactly where it is located. This while keeping my hands on the steering wheel at 10 and 2 o’clock positions.

3 Likes

Concur.

Wheel guns are 99.99% fool proof. They will go bang every time.

Semi-autos have several things that can go wrong.

Lots of good info on YouTube.

Congrats. I’ve had one in GA since around 2012. Speaking of which, it will be time for me to get mine renewed next year.

I’ve got an M&P Shield and a Sig P320 right now - both 9mm. Will probably trade one of them in for a .45 in the coming months.

2 Likes

This is an excellent resource that is continuously updated.

1 Like

I highly recommend some sort of “carry insurance.” It’s kind of like prepaid legal defense insurance. I’m a member of US Law Shield myself, but there are plenty of other companies around that do it. The thing I like about them is they have an 800 number that you can call with legal questions regarding carrying.

Here’s a link:

awesome thanks!

ah… interesting. thanks! have not thought along those lines

thanks

Another good resource. This is a good all-around gun discussion board that covers a lot of topics. I’ve been logging in there since 2000,

1 Like

First handgun I got.

1 Like

My dad actually taught me to shoot with a S&W .38 revolver. I’ve since gone largely to pistols, but I’ve always had at least one S&W in the house since then. Not sure if it’s nostalgia or what.

My father-in-law gave me his, which is how I got it.

4 Likes

I went the other way. P320C for me in 9 mm with the ambi safety now, replacing Combat Commander in .45. They’re both very nice carry guns .

1 Like

i loved my SS ATI FX45 Commander 1911 but it was way too heavy to carry since I’m in a shorts most of the year. An it was a whole lot more fun to shoot than my lighter “snappier” 9mm’s

1 Like

I liked the SIG because it had enough heft to not be super snappy for a 9 mm, but for enjoyment I definitely prefer the 1911. Much more of a push than a jump to it. Mine’s an early 70s Colt in the Satin Nickel finish. I much prefer the sights on the Sig, though.

I’m almost always in pants and an untucked button down so size/weight isn’t as much of an issue with the right belt, though it took me a while to convince myself to go with a double-stack. The single stack of the 1911 makes for a really nice flat profile.

1 Like

Congrats, now go get some quality training before you actually start carrying.

Simply knowing enough to pass the qualification test, and shooting well enough to meet the very low standards for range qual’s in no way prepares you to be ready to carry.

I’d suggest at lest 30-40 hours of classroom and practical training and an equal amount of time on the range learning tactical shooting.

2 Likes

Preparation is not paranoia.