Good News?! January job growth 467,000

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/job-openings-remain-elevated-at-10-9-million-while-fewer-people-quit-their-jobs-in-december/ar-AATmQoI?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Yay fewer people are quitting. Good News!

I disagree.

I don’t like labor shortages. Especially ones that go on for three years.

I’d like to see the Great Resignation go on long enough to force a change in management thinking. And we’re so close.

Of course I don’t want the resigned living off the state while they do it. Get some hustles and make it work.

1 Like

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

1 Like

How about we just get out our pom poms and cheer Biden for his genius at getting people back to work. :crazy_face:

1 Like

How about we just agree that the President has little to do with month to month job growth but then say things like despite of and because of anyway?

1 Like

Me too. It is nice after all these years to see the worker actually have some power in the employment relationship.

3 Likes

Almost every time. That’s why I largely ignore the monthlies, and look at the quaterlies after being adjusted.

But it never fails: once a month, this thread type is created; one team then cheers and the other team jeers. And the team positions change, blissfully free of any sense of irony, context, or history.

Well, I’m on the Dem team and happily give credit to the President if the numbers are good. I’ve posted “Thanks Trump” innumerable times.

The President signs congressional bills. Bills impact jobs. The President is part of the reason for job growth and job loss. But OK… he’s just one of the factors.

Who he chooses to chair the fed has a large impact.

Two thoughts:

1-you are the exception that would prove the rule, even among “professional” pundits who should know better, and
2-praise OR blame to the president is largely misplaced.

In just about every case since Biden has been president the numbers have been revised up. Agree with your point that it is silly that we play this game every month here, but it is sort of fun.

With these revisions, employment in February and March combined is 78,000 lower
than previously reported.

With these revisions, employment in March and April combined is 27,000 higher

With these revisions, employment in April and May combined is 15,000 higher

With these revisions, employment in May and June combined is 119,000 higher

With these revisions, employment in June and July combined is 134,000 higher

With these revisions, employment in July and August combined is 169,000 higher

With these revisions, employment in August and September combined is 235,000 higher

With these revisions, employment in September and October combined is 82,000 higher

With these revisions, employment in October and November combined is 141,000 higher

https://www.bls.gov/bls/news-release/empsit.htm#2021

I don’t see anyone on the board complaining there aren’t enough jobs. We all pretty much agree there is a labor shortage right? And I’ll even throw the left a bone and say the real problem is low pay, companies not willing to increase it enough to prompt people to re-enter the workforce.

The reason Americans are giving the economy low scores isn’t lack of jobs, it’s inflation.

3 Likes

For real. When a pack of chicken strips goes from 6.50 to 12 dollars is what people are angry about.

I’m a bachelor. No kids. I don’t need much in the way of groceries to sustain myself.

My personal weekly grocery bill has skyrocketed in the last four months. From about 40 bucks per week in just groceries to about 75 dollars per week.

And that’s with me cutting out some stuff like snack food out of the equation. Otherwise it would be much higher.

2 Likes

You would think the stock market would go up more on the news…

1 Like

Normally(not always but normally) Wall Street goes negative on good jobs reports and GDP reports.