Good News? BLS Report January Jobs 304K

Here is something we can all celebrate: the latest jobs report marks 100 consecutive months in which the US economy had net jobs gains! 100!!

Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 304,000 in January, and the
unemployment rate edged up to 4.0 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
reported today. Job gains occurred in several industries, including leisure
and hospitality, construction, health care, and transportation and warehousing.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

1 Like

It’s not good news if your a democrat.

1 Like

Democrat here. It’s good news.

Notice how we’re not going around cable news with allegations of the BLS making up numbers.

6 Likes

Just because Republicans aren’t bashful in using the hardship of Democrats as a political tool, doesn’t mean the opposite is true. It’s great more people have jobs.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1078260814157701121?s=21

Also, I could be wrong, but the GDP numbers have been delayed because of the shut down.

Yes. I did notice. I call em as I see em.

But what is the Labor Participation Rate?

Don’t hear about that much anymore.

2 Likes

Up half a percentage year over year. Not insignificant and totally expected.

Yes it is.

1 Like

Good report. Strong start to 2019. December got revised down about 100k. November up some. Overall, 2018 came in under 2014 and 2015.

You can tell just by looking at replies in this thread that libs & Dems are gritting their teeth giving the :+1: on this one. :wink:

No, we’re giving the same replies that we always do to jobs report numbers. Some months aren’t that great. Some months are good. One thing is for sure, we aren’t going around bashing the BLS and claiming they are faking the numbers.

7 Likes

Haha. I’d say they’re acting way more sane than the most ardent of Republicans during Obama years.

Whenever a positive jobs report would come out, it would always mean that -

1. Number are fake !!!
  2. It’s actually horrible news cause look at labor participation, food stamps, etc… !!
  3. Obama hates America !
1 Like

I started this thread and I lean to the left. I can assure you that I am sincere when I say that I am delighted to hear that we added jobs in January. We are on an historic winning streak. We can all celebrate our collective success. Everybody’s favorite team–American Workers–has scored points in 100 consecutive innings.

It’s too bad that the old forum is gone. It’d be interesting to compare and contrast this thread to some of the old “Good News” threads. My recollection is that they went on for pages and pages and were full of comments like:
“Yeah, but what about the participation rate?”
“‘Real Unemployment’ is more like 15%!”
“The unemployment rate only looks low because the BLS stops counting people when they no longer receive benefits.” (IIRC, you made this claim more than once and it’s not accurate.)
“The BLS cooks the books to make Obama look good.”

4 Likes

Yeah, go back and look at the same threads during the Obama years and see how the conservatives reacted compared to the liberals during the Trump years.

There is no way we have gone from 40% unemployment when trump took office to 4% now…

The trump admin is obviously cooking the books…

2 Likes

It is amazing how conservatives completely dismissed every jobs report under obama to treating it as gospel under trump…

Why isnt the BLS part of the deepstate any more? Did they fire everyone and replace them with conservatives?

I really would like to see one conservative step up here and explain his attitude on the BLS reports under Obama versus under Trump.

Did they know they were full of it when posting in the Obama years? Were they fooled by the talk radio hosts? Do they still think the books were cooked?

Democrat here also. Good news.

100 straight months? Let’s see, that means this started 8.3 years ago. Thanks Obama!